• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 allisb10page OFFLINE  

allisb10page
  • Member No: 52832
  • 220 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 11:58 AM

I am a new member and have a couple questions.  I have acquired an AMF garden tractor (identical to a MF10; for which I have as well).  I have noticed a few differences, one being of course paint, but the grill on the AMF is cast and not a bar grill like the MF10.  I was unaware that there was even AMF out there until I happened upon this one.  My question(s) is:  Is the AMF very rare?  Also, what would be a fair market value if I would ever decide to sell it?  It is pretty rough, meaning the motor would have to be gone through, but everything is there for the most part and it have its working clothes on.

I would post pics, but it is tucked away for the winter.  Maybe in the spring.

Thank you

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#2 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 12:37 PM

They are rarer than a MF10, but I wouldn't consider them all that hard to find.You could probably get $200-$300 the way it is.I have one. Pretty cool looking tractor's.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0701.JPG
  • IMG_0702.JPG

• sacsr and allisb10page have said thanks

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 12:48 PM

Welcome to GTtalk. If you need any help posting pictures see the link in my signature.

• allisb10page said thank you

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 12:54 PM

Being in NE Iowa, I doubt that you will find them very rare at all.  They were built in Des Moines and in their day were the most common garden tractor seen in these parts.

• IamSherwood and sacsr have said thanks

#5 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 02:02 PM

:welcometogttalk:

#6 allisb10page OFFLINE  

allisb10page
  • 220 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 05:13 PM

Didn't realize they were built in Des Moines.  They wouldn't happen to have been built in the same locale as the Wheel Horse snowmobiles would they?  Have come across quite a few things that were manufactured in Des Moines with reference to garden tractor manufactures.

I got the AMF in a package deal, so would make money on it either way.  Would be a cool addition to the collection though.  Thanks all so far for your advise and welcoming me.

#7 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 05:54 PM

The blue fender 1010 AMF's are a little more scarce IMHO. We have a orange 1010,A 1014,and a 1414. We had a blue 1010. Some members on here have the blue Dynamark version of the 1014 AMF. The picture in my avatar is a 1014 which is the same as a Massey 14 other than cast grill and different hood.
Shawn
  • MH81, IamSherwood and sacsr have said thanks

#8 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 06:44 PM

I picked up a blue 1010 this summer. Have plans to restore it, in rough shape now but I got it for $40 so I figured how could I go wrong.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0334.JPG

• sacsr and LTD have said thanks

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 06:47 PM

Didn't realize they were built in Des Moines. They wouldn't happen to have been built in the same locale as the Wheel Horse snowmobiles would they? Have come across quite a few things that were manufactured in Des Moines with reference to garden tractor manufactures.
I got the AMF in a package deal, so would make money on it either way. Would be a cool addition to the collection though. Thanks all so far for your advise and welcoming me.

AMF bought out Western Tool and had a Facility on Dixon Avenue where they built the Dyna Mark Garden Tractors and They built Massey Ferguson. Massey Ferguson had a huge facility on the corner of Bell Avenue and Fluer Drive.
They built the larger tractors there. Just across the river from the rail yards which made shipping easy. And not far from I35 & I80. That Dixon location is just off 235 again easy access to transportation.
AMF would build machines and label them to suit for anyone who would place a sizable order.
I know they built snowmobiles, but do not know who they built for.

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 21, 2014 - 06:54 PM.

• sacsr, allisb10page and Genem have said thanks

#10 allisb10page OFFLINE  

allisb10page
  • 220 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 08:38 PM

I guess that the Wheel Horse snowmobiles were built somewhere along E. Maple Street in Des Moines. 

So the MF were just AMF with different paint and small feature changes then? 

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 09:07 PM

I guess that the Wheel Horse snowmobiles were built somewhere along E. Maple Street in Des Moines.

I consider the MFs from that era to be at least one of the sharpest GTs ever built. Do not and never have owned one. That does not mean I would not given the right deal.
So do not consider myself qualified to say there is no difference. It would not be unusual in manufacturing for a buyer to specify certain specs, features and quality control as a provision of the purchase contract. So while AMF built them I do not know what differences there might be.

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 21, 2014 - 09:08 PM.

#12 allisb10page OFFLINE  

allisb10page
  • 220 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 02:36 PM

Besides the JD's, MF garden tractors from that era (particularly the MF10 and 12) look more identical to their 'big' brothers in terms of style and appearance.  I guess that may be the draw for some people.  They have a look all their own and frankly I think they just look cool.  Have located another one (not sure if it's a 10 or 12 off hand), and talking about it makes me want to get them going all the more.  Thanks! 

Did a little research and it seems that they moved the entire GT production to Des Moines in 1970, and the plant also made Massey's 'Ski-Whiz' snowmobiles.

#13 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 06:31 AM

Near as I know, grill, hood and paint.