11 replies to this topic

#1 Mooster OFFLINE  

Mooster
  • Member No: 52939
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 01:45 AM

Hello to all.
Can someone please recommend a GT? It will be used to maintain a roping arena(harrow,disc), spot mow about 7 acres and mow my half acre yard. Right now the 2014 Craftsman is what I'm looking at. An older model is definitely an option but I have no clue on makes, models or specs.
Any help would be super appreciated.
  • hamman said thank you

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,755 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 05:36 AM

Do you have a dollar amount you would like to stick to?

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 06:00 AM

Welcome to GTTalk. If you are mowing up to 7 acres and maintaining a roping arena I think you might need something a bit heavier than a Craftsman GT. It would do the job but will use a lot of fuel and won't be as capable as a larger tractor when doing ground engaging work. I'd consider moving up to a sub compact or small compact tractor. Diesel power will save you on fuel and they are designed to do the work you need done.

• Delmar and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,755 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 06:36 AM

Like Brian mentioned, the use of a newer garden tractor to do ground engaging work could lead to issues. The transmissions in newer gt's are not built as heavy as the older units. If not kept clean, they will heat up quickly doing your discing or harrowing of the roping area. Heat is the enemy of hydrostatic transmissions.

The Craftsman would be a fine choice for mowing your half acre yard. However, if you look at the Craftman's website, take a look at the pictures of their mower decks, particularly the side view pic showing their 'Wheeled Cutting Deck'. That is not built heavy enough to withstand 'rough mowing'.

As far as recommending any other brands or models, I'll wait until you list a budget. But with the chores you listed, (unless you're going to do all those things at once) most heavy duty garden tractors will handle those chores easily.

Does your yard have a lot of tight spots and obstructions? Moving from a GT to a SCUT gains you fuel economy, less maintenance, and more pulling power, but you would sacrifice mowing agility.

Since you stated you have a roping area, do you have a larger tractor already for tending to animals?

• Talntedmrgreen said thank you

#5 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 06:46 AM

i think everyone here will tell you diesel is the way to go, and a sub compact will certainly do the job, plus any extras that come up, if considering buying one get one with a loader, to buy one after you own the tractor can get pricey, if this is out of you budget consider an older machine, vertical shaft motor 12-20 hp, theres lots of deals on mid 80s early 90s machines that were built tough and are repairable, unlike the throw away stuff they make today. an example is my first wheel horse 414-8. i bought it from a older gent who wanted a cub cadet z turn. he was cutting 2 acres, well 3yrs later he calls and asks me to sell him back his old horse because the cadet was falling apart, and no i did not sell him the 414-8

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 07:06 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! What part of Texas are you in? We have several members from there. Maybe they will chime in.

#7 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,448 Thanks
  • 3,996 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 08:08 AM

:welcometogttalk:

#8 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 08:10 AM

Welcome to GTT. Relax and enjoy the site. Take your time on figuring out what you need. There are thousands of options for your machine. Let us know a bit more about your mechanical abilities, your budget, and work load around the ranch. Are there other jobs that the tractor can help you with? The more information we have the better the advice we can give.

Check out our Galleries to look at all types of machines. If you find something that really catches your eye, you can download 3 manuals per day for free. Become a Supporter and there is no limit.

Keep your eyes peeled for what may be available in your area. The machine that is perfect for you may be just down the road in the back of a neighbors barn waiting for you to rescue it. Good Luck, Rick

• jd.rasentrac said thank you

#9 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 01:45 PM

Welcome,  Good luck in your gt search..... I wish my gt's had a rear 3 point and pto. That option would allow all kinds of rear attachments, and alot more seat time   :smilewink: . once again welcome 

#10 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 02:59 PM

Hello and welcome :wave:

#11 Mooster OFFLINE  

Mooster
  • Member No: 52939
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 12:40 AM

Thank you all for the replies.
I think that a real tractor is a bit out of reach.
What about Cub Cadet Series 3000? Maybe there is a brand/model that'll last a year?
Again, thanks to all.

Correction: Cub Cadet Series 2000.

Edited by Mooster, January 22, 2014 - 02:36 AM.

• T Guiles said thank you

#12 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 02:13 AM

Not sure where in Texas you are but their is a nice Bolens diesel on craigs list in the Dallas listing for 2000 with a large finishing mower