7 replies to this topic

#1 Clint OFFLINE  

Clint

• Member No: 8265
  • 412 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 01:20 AM

Hi guys,

My dad has a Cub Cadet 1200 manual trans mower. That is a scratch mark through the VIN, not a wire or grease.

IMAG1483.jpg IMAG1484.jpg IMAG1487.jpg IMAG1488.jpg

It is missing a coupler piece.

IMAG1481.jpg IMAG1482.jpg IMAG1485.jpg IMAG1486.jpg

He got it like this and the garden tractor supply store said they don't have access to the part. I was going to see if anyone knew exactly what piece is missing, if you could post a picture or link to the part so he can get this running. It looks like it may just be another piece like the one in front of it and the bolts that hold it together. He said his cousin took it apart years ago because there was a problem with the shifter fork maybe being bent. Is this a common problem? He has since lost or mis-placed the piece. He gave the mower to dad and now he is working on it.

He is also messing with a New Holland S-12 with hydro. Any ideas where to get parts for these once the shopping list is complete?

IMAG1490.jpg IMAG1489.jpg IMAG1491.jpg IMAG1492.jpg IMAG1493.jpg IMAG1494.jpg IMAG1495.jpg

He is looking for a carb for the S-12 and then we will see if it goes too. The S-12 has tilt steering and dad says it is also power steering. It's been in the shed for years and I've never seen it run. Trying to "Wake the dead." Any help on the Cub Cadet would be appreciated. Thanks.

• hamman said thank you

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,531 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 04:55 AM

Ariens had bought the Sperry New Holland line and continued it for years. I think  all the Ariens S-12 parts would all interchange. The engine looks like a Kohler 12 horse.

• Alc and Clint have said thanks

#3 JoeMopar OFFLINE  

JoeMopar
  • Member No: 52259
  • 470 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 07:04 AM

Seems to be several items missing on the Cub, unless they just aren't on and you have them sitting someplace.

• Clint said thank you

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 07:18 AM

Here is a diagram of the driveshaft: (click on image to enlarge)

images.partstree.com.gif ]

Partstree.com shows the missing parts available, but they add up to over $100! Yikes.

http://www.partstree...0&dn=0017500012

• Clint said thank you

#5 Clint OFFLINE  

Clint

• 412 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 09:11 AM

Seems to be several items missing on the Cub, unless they just aren't on and you have them sitting someplace.

I agree now that I see the diagram. What you see is what we have.

#6 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 542 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 10:56 AM

Clint , looks like your missing the rearend input shaft coupling with spherical bearing , the rubber flex disc and ball bearing .

I'd try getting good used parts from one of our vendors like Patton Acres , I'm sure he probably has them  . I parted a 1000 ( 10 hp model of your tractor ) a while back and I'm pretty sure I have those parts myself .

#7 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 542 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 11:04 AM

I am kind of curious why the rearend front cover plate ( shown sitting on top of the rearend in last picture ) was removed ? Possibly an  issue with the rearend ??

Edit ,

OK I reread  your post about a shifter fork issue being possibly bent , and yes it sometimes happens , but usually the forks get broke because of a clutch issue making it hard to get into gear , thus owner starts forcing it into gear , bending or braking the fork or even breaking the shifter . I've seen it a few times usually from owner non maintance .

The forks are directly under the shift cover , and still doesn't explain why the front covers been pulled and any pieces that might have fallen into the bottom of transmission can be easily removed pulling the shifter or rear cover plate .

Edited by Jlaws, January 21, 2014 - 11:31 AM.

#8 Clint OFFLINE  

Clint

• 412 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 02:39 AM

This is how my dad got it. We were going to check out the rear end and shift linkages before we put it back together. It's easier to see now that it's apart. If I can find a reason it's apart, I'll put it back together and figure something out. It's on the back burner with the temperature being in the single digits to twenties right now. We are supposed to get a break in the cold, so I'll try to do something to it. I don't get over there as much as I like and Dad's not as active/ambitious as he once was.