• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 glide OFFLINE  

glide
  • Member No: 52789
  • 14 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted January 20, 2014 - 12:20 PM

Please bear with me, a non-mechanical kinda guy. My 07 Craftsman ys4500 ran fine all summer, but as it now sits waiting in my shed for a belt for the snowblower, I have discovered a problem with gas delivery..it ..it will start, and idle (both low and high throttle) all day, but as soon as I let the clutch out, it wants to stall....forward gears or reverse. The in-line fuel filter looks ok, but I'm reluctant to start taking things apart till I have some advice....got a few mobility problems, so crawling around is out. Just thought somebody might know an easy fix to this? btw, it's the 22hp version if that helps.  Thanks in advance. IMG_1327.JPG IMG_1327.JPG

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted January 20, 2014 - 12:38 PM

Welcome to the forum. Have you tried pulling the choke out a little to see if you can keep it running?

#3 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted January 20, 2014 - 04:45 PM

you say it will idle and run ,how does it run at high speed full throttle?
does in stumble and stall or just quit when you let the pedal up in gear? ---does tractor move at all when you let the clutch out?
Try what Doug said and see what happens.

#4 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted January 20, 2014 - 06:27 PM

After further thinking about this,you said it ran fine all summer,I assume you had to take the deck off to put on blower.I would think there might be a safety switch on deck that would have to be unpluged and perhaps has to be pluged into blower. Just a thought.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 20, 2014 - 07:09 PM

Does it stutter and stall or just die straight off like you turned the key?

Ben W.

#6 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 12:15 AM

I'm thinking a safety switch also. The owner says when he let's the clutch out it wants to stop. But runs fine otherwise.

So maybe check the deck seeing you can't get down to look under tractor and see if there's a wire plug in someplace. And if so then you most likely need something plugged into the thrower as was mentioned earlier. 

#7 glide OFFLINE  

glide
  • 14 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 08:59 AM

Starting the tractor, from cold, I use the choke. Almost immediately, it runs fine with the choke off.....I can push the throttle up to full speed, and it runs well there too....and yes, it will move a foot or two before stalling......matter of fact, I recently had to move it 50ft out of the shed, to empty the shed of flooding....did that by full throttle, easing clutch out in 2nd gear (6 speed), and quickly pushing clutch back in to prevent full stalling.....once it regained revs, repeated process...moved 2 ft per try....twenty times or so...lol. I have now laid plywood on the dirt floor of the shed, and repeated the process to move her back into shelter in the shed. It should be noted that the one and only time I used the machine to snow-blow, it ran fine until I stupidly tried to "plow" my way thru too much snow, going too fast, and broke the 114.5" belt.  The spare belt I got with the deal is about an inch too short, and although I DID get it on partially, I've been told using it could easily damage bearings etc, so I'm opting to wait and order the longer belt. Meanwhile, this fuel delivery problem has become evident.  After re-reading the comments, I guess I've answered them all.....no switch left unconnected, as it ran fine before I broke the belt. And yes, it moves in gear both reverse or forward, but begins to stall as soon as the clutch pedal is let out. I've tried pulling the choke back out as it starts forward, but it still stalls. And yes, I let the machine warm up beforehand....I have also put gas-line antifreeze in the tank,and it's run enough to have circulated the stuff thru the system.  I can't see it being a fuel filter problem, as it runs fine in neutral, or with the clutch in......so, any other ideas?

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 11:05 AM

Glide you mentioned the belt was shredded, make sure you don't have something binding the drive.

• glide said thank you

#9 glide OFFLINE  

glide
  • 14 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 12:56 PM

Got a call today from local shop, who found the 114.5 X 5/8" V belt I need for the blower. When I pick it up tues or wed, I will also pick up an in-line fuel filter, and hopefully that will get me going.......our January thaw is over, been -25C every night, not much warmer in day, and it is starting to snow daily again......I'll let ya know how I make out.

#10 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 01:55 PM

Looks to me like you've got the fuel side pretty well covered. What have you done on the spark side? A weak spark or bad plug can mimic fuel problems. The ignition system requires more voltage to fire under load. A new plug is a cheap quick test. Also make sure the spark jumps at least 1/4 inch outside the cylinder. Not sure what engine is in your tractor. If it's 2 cyl, maybe its only running on one cyl??

• HDWildBill said thank you

#11 glide OFFLINE  

glide
  • 14 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 07:49 AM

Looks to me like you've got the fuel side pretty well covered. What have you done on the spark side? A weak spark or bad plug can mimic fuel problems. The ignition system requires more voltage to fire under load. A new plug is a cheap quick test. Also make sure the spark jumps at least 1/4 inch outside the cylinder. Not sure what engine is in your tractor. If it's 2 cyl, maybe its only running on one cyl??

its a Vtwin 22 hp engine. And, since these posts, an online expert has probably nailed the problem....he thinks it's the switch under the seat....which is malfunctioning.....so, it thinks nobody is in the seat and shuts down when the clutch is let out.....going to get a cheap tester, figure out which switch it is, and then either replace it, or by-pass it....and yeah, I'm aware of the dangers of hard-wiring it, but if the switch is costly, I may have to.....can't rely on neighbors to keep plowing me out, and these storms just keep coming..lol....thanks for the help guys.....I will let you know the end result.

#12 glide OFFLINE  

glide
  • 14 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 09:13 AM

Update:  it turns out that it was indeed the safety switch under the seat that was the problem. After talking to the local tractor shop, I learned a little money saving trick...left the switch connected, and added 3 big washers to each side of the "sensor panel" bolts, making it think my butt was always in the seat.....runs great now. I am aware of the safety implications tho, and make a habit of never operating it with animals or people around it and yes, I shut her down whenever I get off....just in case. I ended up buying an $85 belt (114.5 x 5/8") for the blower, and after one clearing job of the driveway, blew the smaller drive belt. But, looking on the bright side, we are getting to know the machine, and have a spare belt we THINK is the right size......just having a hassle getting it fitted. It's frustrating not knowing the right order to do things in, but, between my wife and myself, we are learning. Yesterday I took my frustration at not being able to lay on the ground and do this, by moving load after load of firewood from the shed into the basement, while the more flexible member of the team worked at getting the belt on...lol   But today is a beauty day, and the snow isn't supposed to come till tomorrow......so....hopefully we can get this thing on and all will be well.  I need to thank you guys for being here, and let you know that although my little rig is far too new to be cool, (yes, I agree!) it's great to have a place to ask questions, and learn. I will be 64 next month, and moving out to the country after so many years living in a small town with friends all around, holds some challenges. So, thanks.

Edited by glide, February 01, 2014 - 09:17 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,336 Thanks
  • 28,645 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 09:51 AM

Thank you for the follow up. Glad you were able to find the issue and resolve it.
You mentioned safety switch and rigging it. I'm as guilty as the next guy, but I do have a story.

Last year, a guy named Don in our tractor club had a stroke or heart attack while mowing. The mower continued over a bank and because the seat switch was defeated, it continued to run. I won't go into details, but he is no longer with us.

Just be careful and enjoy your tool. Oh, and any tractor that gets you seat time is Cool in my book. :thumbs: