19 replies to this topic

#16 mrlube71 OFFLINE  

mrlube71
  • Member No: 50033
  • 10 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 20, 2014 - 08:49 PM

Welcome to the club!
I have a collection of Ford/Jacobsen's myself.
I wonder how does the single stage blower compare to the two stage?
How do the Ford/Jacobsen's compare to the John Deere 316?
I haven't found anything I like better than my Ford LGT 165 with the two stage blower.

Thanks!
Joe

The ford 2 stage kicks arse over my JD single stage, but surprisingly the single stage on the jac does just as good as the ford. The gearing they have in the jac blower has that drum spinning so fast that she will throw a 50' rooster tail with ease. The JD throws descent as long as I keep my ground speed up according to the amount of snow im blowing. If only blowing a few inches of snow I have to go fast with the JD to cram that snow into her in order to get any kind of distance on the blow, but the jac is much different. Even with only a few inches you can putt along in low range with the jac and she is like a super vacum, sucking that snow up and throwing it with ease. Never owned a single stage before that you can drive her like a 2 stage and get 2 stage performance. About 5 yrs ago I owned a Cub 582 with a single and just like the JD I had to keep up the ground speed with little snow for her to throw with any distance. Not sure if that is typical with all singles but thats been the case for me with the singles I've had before we got the jac. Plus its nice to have the hydro on your foot instead of a hand lever like the JD, frees up both hands for steering and rotating the chute. The ford and jac have been soo much fun using this winter  :D. But as for any difference between the ford and jac there really isnt much difference between them,the single throws just as good as the 2 stager. Just cant wait to get the ford in the garden this spring with the tiller.

• KennyP and Rock farmer have said thanks

#17 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 20, 2014 - 11:00 PM

Welcome to GTtalk, glad you joined us here.

What a great collection of Ford/Jac's you have there, they are a very capable at doing anything you ask of them.

#18 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 04:29 AM

I love my setup for blowing snow!! I can put it in the neighbors back yard ;-) with little to no effort, even wet stuff blows awesome, just sucks every ounce of power out of the Kubota diesel I put in it. As long as you go slow it will blow 24" of wet heavy snow like a champ.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20131207_072527.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#19 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 06:52 AM

The ford 2 stage kicks arse over my JD single stage, but surprisingly the single stage on the jac does just as good as the ford. The gearing they have in the jac blower has that drum spinning so fast that she will throw a 50' rooster tail with ease. The JD throws descent as long as I keep my ground speed up according to the amount of snow im blowing. If only blowing a few inches of snow I have to go fast with the JD to cram that snow into her in order to get any kind of distance on the blow, but the jac is much different. Even with only a few inches you can putt along in low range with the jac and she is like a super vacum, sucking that snow up and throwing it with ease. Never owned a single stage before that you can drive her like a 2 stage and get 2 stage performance. About 5 yrs ago I owned a Cub 582 with a single and just like the JD I had to keep up the ground speed with little snow for her to throw with any distance. Not sure if that is typical with all singles but thats been the case for me with the singles I've had before we got the jac. Plus its nice to have the hydro on your foot instead of a hand lever like the JD, frees up both hands for steering and rotating the chute. The ford and jac have been soo much fun using this winter  :D. But as for any difference between the ford and jac there really isnt much difference between them,the single throws just as good as the 2 stager. Just cant wait to get the ford in the garden this spring with the tiller.

That's very interesting.
The cylinder in the center of the blower must be the secret!
Someone was selling a single stage blower near me. But, I passed on it. I didn't think it could be anywhere near as good as my two stage!
I think maybe ill look again. When ever I get on a tractor without foot control, I have think " how can I get this thing to move."
Then I remember " oh ya I have to move that lever!" What a stupid idea!. Foot control is so much better!

Joe
  • KennyP said thank you

#20 mrlube71 OFFLINE  

mrlube71
  • Member No: 50033
  • 10 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 11:43 AM

That's very interesting.
The cylinder in the center of the blower must be the secret!
Someone was selling a single stage blower near me. But, I passed on it. I didn't think it could be anywhere near as good as my two stage!
I think maybe ill look again. When ever I get on a tractor without foot control, I have think " how can I get this thing to move."
Then I remember " oh ya I have to move that lever!" What a stupid idea!. Foot control is so much better!

Joe

I've come to realize its all about the manufacturer and the age when it comes to single stagers. My dad had an ole allis with a single stage and boy did that thing throw the snow, no matter how fast or slow his ground speed was, just like the jac. Dad now has a Deutz 1920 with a single stager and same thing, throws snow like there is no tomorrow. Now my JD, totally different story. I've come across quite a few people who live near me who have newer machines with single stagers and same thing as with my JD, they have to really cram the snow in to get any performance out of her. It's not like it was 30 or 40 years ago when you had all these manufacturers all making quality american made equipment. All the more reason to keep the old stuff alive and functioning because they just dont make them like that anymore. I dont mind using the JD, i've learned how to use her properly and that being my first GT with a blower I always thought it was fun getting to use her when it snowed,and I have a sentimental attachment to her with her being my first.  Now that i have the ford I get  experience what real quality GTs were like back when they were being made. 

• Rock farmer said thank you