#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 02:49 PM

Have 18 auto, (D series), that I'm using for plowing snow.  Didn't have enough weight on back first try. I now mount my rear blade and is improved.  This darn tractor just Doesn't Turn!  Real hard to maneuver and back and forth before you get in right spot. Now today got stuck easy with it. Didn't have blade on back then, but put on later. When you jamb blade into pile of snow and try to back out, darn tractor wants to walk sideways in rear and buries you in the unplowed snow. AND, I have those big 8" wide tires on front, with little tread and they just slide along sideways when trying to back out. They are part of that problem too. I've been wanting to up on 6.50 tires with better tread, and I see now it is a must. Not sure weather to use ribs or other pattern tho. Still want to mow with it. Ribs not so good for that on my hills. Maybe just need BOTH!  Darn thing is I need to find narrower rims then, the big tires have wider rim.  Gonna have to try a spinner on wheel, sure is PIA to spin that thing so much, which happens because of not turning so tight. Is my tractor same as anyone elses D on the steering issue or is something wrong with it?   Next year, weight box for 3pt, smaller front tires, and have to swing my  blade turn handle out some more, it  hits the foot rest when raised up.  Also, that darn seat is way too far forward even with the adjustment back all the way. Need about 2" more and stupid gas tank is there. Gonna work on moving that back too. What a dumb idea for a gas tank!  I see many of these with the tank on one of the fenders. Now I know why I guess. Not sure I want it out there, but not sure what will happen on that yet. No room inside the chassis for sure.

• boyscout862 and farmer john have said thanks

#2 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 02:57 PM

try putting an old bicycle chain around the front tires , deflate tire, shorten chain to lenght, inflate tire so chain is tight to the tire, it really improves the steering capabilities, hope this helps, happy plowing farmer john

• sacsr, WH55 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#3 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 05:21 PM

glgrumpy, I think the steering problem is a common problem with the "D's"

#4 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 10:22 PM

Yep turning is not very tight on the d series

#5 GlenPettit OFFLINE  

GlenPettit
  • Member No: 34353
  • 520 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 11:26 PM

Plus WEIGHT, you need weight on the front to hold it down, 40 - 60#;  best if inside the wheel to keep it low as possible, or steel.

The chain wrapped around the tire is an excellent low-cost solution, kinda like a 'tri-rib' tire, go with about 40PSI in them.

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted January 20, 2014 - 06:39 AM

Pics? I don't even know what brand tractor you have. Good Luck, Rick

#7 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 20, 2014 - 09:06 AM

That chain idea is a unique idea.  I love it!

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted January 20, 2014 - 11:53 AM

Chain......mmmmm?  Might work in a few examples, but I can just see the scrapes on the pavement. Even worse than rear chains that spin.  Wouldn't care for look either.  Different tires is my choice, but won't be till summer, so will have to fight these as is if we get more snow.  Hard to belive this heavyweight tractor would need more weight!  Pictures?  It's a Whorse D, lots of them around and this is a Horse forum, so must should know the model.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2013-05-17 009.jpg
  • 2013-05-17 010.jpg
  • Zee Horse and Fenders 13 2013-11-03 001.jpg

#9 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 01:05 PM

Those fronts do look like they woulod be slick in the snow. How do you like the turning brakes? I have them on my d 200 but I am scared to use them. I read that they were the leading cause of the diff failure thast common to the D series.

#10 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 08:51 PM

Well, I had to put some new linings on mine, they didn't do anything, even just stop tractor. On dry gravel or yard I'm not getting any good turning action like I do on my big MM's for example. Though should slip in snow better, not NOT! They just seem to kind of bind and slow, but not really stop the wheel your trying to. They just slow down tractor pretty much straight. I think I have them adjusted OK. They have a spring in the pull link, maybe it just gives too much and really can't lock t hem?  I  just use them together for main brakes now when using tractor.  I'm not nearly as happy with this big tractor as I thought I would be. Seat isn't too cool, turning too wide of an arc. Blade seems fine. Have no items to use on three point, cept that rear blade and haven't done much with that either.  Kinda big and slow. I prefered my C series much better with it's hydro and easy to steer and fast enough if needed. I bet this D would be a real SLUG with a loader on it, like they offered.

#11 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 10:28 PM

Thats odd as far as the speed comparision, the C and d have the same hydro. I only have one brake caliper installed ATM. I have to manufacture one pad and backing plate for the other. I dont think I willl be in a rush.

On the hard sterring, Lube the pivot pin for the bell crank. Mine actually broke the bolt during a turn. I put in a new grade 8 and it was tight. Then i broke out the grease gun. That changed everything. Then I broke the bellcrank. Luckily I have learend how to braze cast Iron.

I dont like the hand Hydro or the placement of the hydraulic control levers. My Snapper/MF have spoiled me. I am going to try to put one of the lombardinis in the D160 and convert the hand hydro to a foot and move the control levers to the fender. Cant do much about the gas tank but that hasnet seemed to bother me.

#12 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 08:32 PM

You can put power steering on them to make the steering better. One of the guy's on Red Square sell the kit.  I've had a couple of the small D's never was impressed by them, I'd rather have a C 195 any day lot better tractor to me

Just looked at your pictures GLGrumpy I would take a groover to those tires and open them up. My D's all had the straight ribs on them with 1/4 inch spacing maybe thats why they slide more than the others

Edited by baerpath, January 25, 2014 - 08:37 PM.

#13 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 01:43 PM

Your right on the controls, down to low. My hand drive control keeps working back to N when I'm handling the blade or other stuff, kind of a pain. I once had a Snapper too, but never got to plow with it. Controls on the fender WERE nice. AND, any tractor with foot control is much better, I've had a few and still mow with Deere that way. One less "flinging" arm at work that way.