• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rw7810 OFFLINE  

rw7810
  • Member No: 51664
  • 4 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 01:15 PM

My grandfather had one of these on his 10 acre farm in Lansing Michigan, 1950's - 60's.  I found this one for sale in KY and picked it up this last week.  Plan to use it in my 1/4 acre peach orchard and 1/4 acre market garden.  It runs  like a top, have many of the implements, but am missing a few key items. Maybe some one here can help me identify them.  For instance, The implement with the long handle is what you attach the cultivator and disc to.  The long end fits up under the tractor and look like you need a thick pin to hold it in place, but access is limited.  Also, it is not apparent how you attached the cultivator and disc to that unit.  Also missing a few attachment plates for the cultivator. 

Here is the tractor:  Bolen's Pic 2.jpg Bolen's 6AH 1.JPG Bolen's Pic 1.jpg  I have the Wisconsin engine manual, but would like to find the tractors owner's manual.  I'm hoping that would show how things attach and are adjusted.

For instance, The implement with the long handle you see here:  Bolen's Pic 3.jpg  is what you attach the cultivator and disc to.  The long end fits up under the tractor and look like you need a thick pin to hold it in place, but access is limited.  Also, it is not apparent how you attached the cultivator and disc to that unit.  Anyone that could help with info, owner's operating manual and or parts is appreciated.

Here is the grass cutter and it appears fully functional except I need to fabricate the control rod & handle.

Bolen's Pic 4.jpg

Also missing a few attachment plates for the cultivator. 

Bolen's Pic 5.jpg

Here are the disc.  They mount to a 24 in bar, but I can't figure how that attaches to the item in pic 4 above.

Bolen's Pic 6.jpg

Here is the plow.  Seems intact and I can see how it mounts.

Bolen's Pic 7.jpg

Some cultivator springs.  Don't know what these attach to or how.

Bolen's Pic 8.jpg

• earthgrinder, hamman, farmerall and 1 other said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 01:27 PM

Very nice! Lots of great attachments for it. Good luck. Looks like it should do the job for you.           Roger.

#3 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,157 Thanks
  • 1,448 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 01:28 PM

Some cultivator springs.  Don't know what these attach to or how.

attachicon.gifBolen's Pic 8.jpg

That looks like a nice tractor and you got a ton of attachments for it. Find the attachments can be the hardest part. Those spring are not for the Bolens, they are for a Frazer rototiller.

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 01:59 PM

Welcome to GTT!

Nice Looking Gardener!

These manuals should help you out:

New members can only download a few per day until their post count reaches 10.

These should get you started.

If you can still read the model numbers on the tags that would help as there were different types of cultivators,Plows and Sickles available.

Owners Manual:  http://gardentractor...tractor-manual/

Plow:  http://gardentractor...moldboard-plow/

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 02:20 PM

Welcome to the forum.  I have to congratulate you on that tractor, I think you did well.  If it runs as good as it looks, I'm sure you are in good shape. 

Bolens 1000 is one of our resident Bolens experts, he has a good brain to pick with questions. 

Ben W.

#6 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 04:37 PM

Welcome!  .....Nice tractor & attachments!

As Brian (Bolens 1000) said, there is a limit to how many manuals can be downloaded at each visit.

Here is a link to the Bolens Gardener section of the manuals forum: http://gardentractor...olens-gardener/

At this link you will find a 3 page listing of info available for the Gardener & its attachments.  .....Production & pricing info is available, but may be in a different folder.

#7 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 862 Thanks
  • 373 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 11:15 PM

The cultivator springs look the same as the springs and tines for a Frazer Rototiller or a SIMAR tiller.

#8 earthgrinder ONLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 862 Thanks
  • 373 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 11:37 PM

Sure looks like the garden tractor my father used for years to make rows and cultivate our home garden.  It was very front heavy and would tip over very easy.  Ours had old trolley wheels bolted to the rims for weight.  From time to time one of the clutches would hang up, so he always carried a hammer along to rap the clutch and then it would disengage.  Below are scans from a brochure that was with his papers.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bolens1.jpg
  • Bolens2.jpg
  • Bolens3.jpg
  • Bolens4.jpg

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 20, 2014 - 04:56 AM

Very nice haul, you did very well, attachment are hard to come by as a set.