• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 FDSJr OFFLINE  

FDSJr
  • Member No: 52161
  • 5 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 12:03 PM

Hello from a new member - first post, so I hope I am doing it correctly.  I have managed to lose the oil dipstick from my Wheel Horse tractor.  I have no idea how it disappeared, but it is gone!!  The engine is a Kohler K301S, Spec 47812.  The Kohler part number for the dipstick is 4703816.  I can find it in the OEM parts lists and I can buy it online -- BUT it doesn't seem reasonable to pay between $85 and $100 (depending on what online store I search) for a simple dipstick. This is NOT a complicated part and that is just a bit outrageous if you ask me.  Does anyone know a good source for used Kohler engine parts, or new parts at reasonable prices?  Thanks for any help you can provide,

• hamman, Traill95 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 12:15 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Maybe some one has an extra laying about.

#3 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 12:17 PM

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 12:40 PM

Not real sure what Horse used, but there is a few diff styles of dipsticks and tubes. You need the tube also?  There's the type that bolts to side of case, with three litlle bolts, but think bigger engines, some just have tube pressed into the case and sticks of diff lengths. Think I have one for 14, but would have to check. It bolts on side of block like mentioned above. There are even some smaller K engines, usually  8hp or smaller that just had a pipe plug with stick added on and screwed into threaded block hole. ebay is full of parts, might check there. There are also sponsors noted at top of this site that should have things like that.

• FDSJr said thank you

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 12:46 PM

Welcome to GTT. You can also try our sponsors. Check out our Manuals section to download 3 free manuals per day. Good Luck, Rick 

• HDWildBill said thank you

#6 FDSJr OFFLINE  

FDSJr
  • 5 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 01:10 PM

Not real sure what Horse used, but there is a few diff styles of dipsticks and tubes. You need the tube also?  There's the type that bolts to side of case, with three litlle bolts, but think bigger engines, some just have tube pressed into the case and sticks of diff lengths. Think I have one for 14, but would have to check. It bolts on side of block like mentioned above. There are even some smaller K engines, usually  8hp or smaller that just had a pipe plug with stick added on and screwed into threaded block hole. ebay is full of parts, might check there. There are also sponsors noted at top of this site that should have things like that.

I don't need the tube - just the dipstick. This is a 12 HP Kohler. The dipstick is 14 31/64 inches long (according to the engine specs).  I replaced it temporarily, to keep oil from blowing out of the tube, with a dipstick from a 10 HP Kohler, which is 1 inch shorter than what should be in there. Obviously the oil level reading is nowhere near accurate.  I have checked on ebay for the correct part - with no luck.  I will continue the search and, who knows, maybe the lost one will show up when the weather warms up and I can do some cleaning in the garage!!!

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 01:21 PM

Welcome to GTtalk,  Check with our sponsors as Rick suggested they may be able to help.

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 02:17 PM

Welcome to the forum.  I can get you one new, a few dollars above my cost at $76.  Kohler parts can be expensive. 

Try Joe's Outdoor Power or Bob's Lawn and Garden and see if they have one salvage.

Ben W.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#9 WH55 OFFLINE  

WH55
  • Member No: 34102
  • 48 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 03:32 PM

I don't need the tube - just the dipstick. This is a 12 HP Kohler. The dipstick is 14 31/64 inches long (according to the engine specs).  I replaced it temporarily, to keep oil from blowing out of the tube, with a dipstick from a 10 HP Kohler, which is 1 inch shorter than what should be in there. Obviously the oil level reading is nowhere near accurate.  I have checked on ebay for the correct part - with no luck.  I will continue the search and, who knows, maybe the lost one will show up when the weather warms up and I can do some cleaning in the garage!!!

Given I don't know much about Kohler engines and I'm not the restore to original type, I think what I'd do in this situation is take an inch off the bottom of the tube so the shorter dipstick gets down where it needs to be. Either that or splice an inch into the dipstick itself between the guage end and the cap. :smilewink:

Dave

#10 FDSJr OFFLINE  

FDSJr
  • 5 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 05:25 PM

Given I don't know much about Kohler engines and I'm not the restore to original type, I think what I'd do in this situation is take an inch off the bottom of the tube so the shorter dipstick gets down where it needs to be. Either that or splice an inch into the dipstick itself between the guage end and the cap. :smilewink:

Dave

I am checking with a couple of the site sponsors to see if I can find one.  If that fails, I may resort to other solutions or modifications.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#11 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 05:31 PM

There are a bunch of Wheel Horse dipsticks on ebay. Here is a listing from Joe's Outdoor Power. http://www.ebay.com/...=item56603b962d

Matt