sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 09:02 AM

Here is the link. I would have loved to have bought it. This was my favorite color. Almost bought one like it several years ago.

http://www.barrett-j...?ln=678&aid=525

image.jpg
  • hamman, EricFromPa, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#2 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 09:03 AM

That's then end of an era right there!

• EricFromPa and JoeMopar have said thanks

#3 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 09:22 AM

For what it is that's really not that to terrible of a price at least not to me.I know finding a decent body on one in my area is hard to find as the rust monster really had a taste for these machines!

There's one here in town that's black with the same stripe package,it's been slightly modified as it now has a 6-71 blower and 2 4bbl carbs sticking thru the hood! :smilewink:

Which model had the ragtop and doors,with (plastic?) door cutouts,if memory serves me correct it even had some added striping as well? It would have been mid 70's as I remember a local dealer had one on display at a nearby dept. store.

• Sawdust said thank you

#4 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 09:44 AM

I will have to look back......seems like it had either an arrow or spear sticker on the hood and or sides. I remember these at the local IH dealer when I was in High School. I lusted over them. :D  I agree on the price, if this had been local, I would have given it a hard look. When I was looking, I was looking out in Arizona due to the rust issues with these models. I found one exactly like this one in FL, but it was just too rusty for the money.

#5 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 09:49 AM

It was a Shawnee Scout and a SSII  (Super Scout) editions. The SSII is the one you are talking about.

• pigsitter said thank you

#6 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 09:56 AM

Yes that's it,like you I just loved to get to go to that store and just stare at it! :thumbs:

Attached Thumbnails

• 2033.jpg

• sacsr said thank you

#7 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,230 Thanks
  • 5,071 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 10:41 AM

I always had a thing for those. I've honestly never seen one that was in even decent condition. I've always seen the rotted out.

My dad said that when he was a teenager his buddies dad worked at Shadyside stamping. They stamped the body panels for the scouts. The guy bought a new scout and when production stopped he pulled out doors fenders and everything he could to keep his scout running for years.
  • sacsr, boyscout862 and pigsitter have said thanks

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,292 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 11:00 AM

Scout 2 was OK but not nearly as rugged as the original International Scout.Worst thing about the Scout 2 was the Tranny and Transfer Case then the Body.The Body and Body Mounts are made of ALOT thinner material than the original 1961-1970 Scout.

My dad had a 1967 IH Scout 800 with a very dependable 266ci 4.4L V8 engine.He bought it used when I was around 5 years old and ran it for 15 years or so.The body was still solid as a rock but the engine used about 2 quarts of oil to go to the post office that was about 10 miles from the house and the clutch was on it's way out.

That thing would haul and pull Anything.Only thing Dad never liked about it was the 2 10 gallon fuel tanks tucked inside the rear fenders just in front of the rear tires.They would get holes in them from time to time.And you had to manually turn a valve on the floor to the left of the drivers seat to switch tanks.That valve would Always start leaking every couple of years.

Dad hit a big Doe with it when I was around 11 or 12 years old.Well it looked HUGE at the time,(I was a short fella till I was in my teens) anyway Dad hit her square on the front between the lights.All it did was bend the grill a little and put a silver dollar sized dent in the bumper.He really nailed that one.It was to busted up to make burger out of.  

This old Scout could be it's Twin.

chads-scout-800.jpg

• sacsr said thank you

#9 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 11:06 AM

I always liked these too. It's a shame what their calling 4-wheelers these days. I heard something yesterday that was interesting concerning classic or just old cars in general. Statistics are strong that the future enemy attacks won't be by a bomb but power grid loss. They said that about 90% of cars will be inoperable because of this. The only cars that will run will be the old ones of coarse until you run out of gas.  :tapping_fingers:

• sacsr said thank you

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 02:02 PM

That is a lot different that the one I drove. Back in 1967 while in high school I worked as a go-fer (go fer this-go fer that) at an International dealership. They had a two wheel drive 4 cyl. 3 0n the floor scout with the pickup top on it that I got to drive quite a lot.
It was a pretty decent machine for what it was used for.

I always liked the 3/4 pickups as a work truck. the bed height was lower than most 1/2 tons making them easier to load things into and they were tough as nails.

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 19, 2014 - 02:05 PM.

• sacsr said thank you