#16 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 08:35 AM

I believe because the "Garden Seeder" is just that. It is much lighter duty, uses a much smaller hopper and much less options for seed plates. The "Field Planter" has a large hopper, has dozens of available seed plates and very heavy duty. It also runs a shovel in front of the furrow opener for breaking up the earth and clearing trash out of they way. It is very similar to what is used for larger tractors. Being made by Cole I'm thinking it may have been an off the shelf 4 wheel tractor model that Cole modified to DB specs. If anyone knows about Cole planters maybe they could help me with info.

Before I bought this planter I had already committed to buy a "Garden Seeder" from a gentleman. I should be picking that up soon and maybe I can show a comparison of two.

Regardless of comparison the method of burying the seed itself will always relate back to the seed drill when using a mecanical machine. The variations between different type and sizes states nothing to the method used.

As for your seed drill, it is another rebranded Cole.

I find the best way around this is the call the particual seed drills by the manufacturers brand applied.

If David Bradley call this a Planter, then i would continue calling it a Planter or people will be very, very confused.

Edited by trowel, January 25, 2014 - 08:42 AM.

• Alc and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#17 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 12:50 PM

Regardless of comparison the method of burying the seed itself will always relate back to the seed drill when using a mecanical machine. The variations between different type and sizes states nothing to the method used.

As for your seed drill, it is another rebranded Cole.

I find the best way around this is the call the particual seed drills by the manufacturers brand applied.

If David Bradley call this a Planter, then i would continue calling it a Planter or people will be very, very confused.

Thank you for the comments. I think I may have missed the point of Alc's question and you answered it. I always wondered the difference between seeders, planters, and drills myself. I often thought seeders and planters were the same and that drills planted closely spaced grains.

#18 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 02:29 PM

You are most welcomed, I really like seed drills/planters.

I think i may have erred with your planter, while looking at Brinly implements for my Squire 9 stumbled accrose a older Brinly KK model planter with striking resemblance to your DB planter and the question became, is it a Brinly ?

I know that this particular design is a direct descendant of Cole, Brinly is a copy of the old stye chain driven Cole before Cole went to using a gear box, spur gears and shaft drive.

I also know that Sears offered Brinly attachments, i shall look into this a little deeper.

• VSTROM803 said thank you