• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 05:40 AM

Anyone have knowledge on these planters? I believe it is model # 454.353760 for the walk behind tractors. I think it's pretty rare. It's the first one I've seen. I have the chance to but it. I just want to be sure I'm getting something for my money. My intent would be to put it to work. The seller says he has all the seed plates. How many would that be? It looks like it is missing the shank that opens the furrow. What else should I be looking for? Thanks!

DB Planter.jpg

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 06:45 AM

That's not like any planter I've seen either for a db . It looks to be factory made . Hope you get it
  • Gtractor and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#3 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 06:51 AM

That must be a rare one indeed.  I've never seen another one. 

The 454 prefix means it was made by another manufacturer for Sears/Bradley.

If you ever want one you better buy that one because I doubt you will ever get another chance or see another one.

Looks like there were 24 seed plates available for that planter - plus different sprockets to change spacing.

Here is a pdf of its manual:

http://amigatec.net/...s/454.53760.pdf

Edited by Gtractor, January 19, 2014 - 06:54 AM.

• Alc and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#4 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 08:23 AM

It looks like it shares many parts in common with a brinly brand planter.

• trowel and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#5 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 10:19 AM

That type of planter was made by Cole for DB. I don't see anything really missing, but I'd make sure its got a tag before paying a lot for it. I believe theres around a dozen or so of them known.

• Gtractor, Alc and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#6 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 12:09 PM

That type of planter was made by Cole for DB. I don't see anything really missing, but I'd make sure its got a tag before paying a lot for it. I believe theres around a dozen or so of them known.

Would other Cole planter parts work with this model? If I needed more plates or sprockets could they be found fairly easily? Something rare is cool, but I like my stuff to earn its keep. Thanks guys!

#7 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 01:15 PM

Not sure on the parts. It might have been built to a DB spec. I never had a chance to put  a cole and this planter side by side and see what the differences were. There is also a fert unit that fits this planter. I was thinking the hopper mounted to the handles and the base of it went to the planter. Was connected by a flex tube thing. These are one of those holy grail(hate that term) things. Theres another seeder that hangs off the handle and hooks to the rear eye. Its actually more common than this one. Last time I saw one the field units sell it went for almost a grand, then again it had all the bell and whistles with it. I've got some cole plates out in the shed somewhere. Brought them by mistake one time looking for the brinly ones.

Seems like to me the field planter had a bigger wheel on the rear. This unit might be brinly rear and a DB front. Be easy to get the front half of a seeder, or the back of a brinly, and make one up, even yrs back. I'd be carefully before I spent a bunch of money on it.

• VSTROM803 said thank you

#8 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 04:30 AM

Well, I got the planter. Going by the manual it looks like everything is there. It's not as rusty as it looks in the picture. Mostly covered in dirt and grease from use. It does have its tag and some of the DB decal is still visible. The catalog says it came with 6 seed plates. I got a dozen or so with it plus several sprockets for altering the seed spacing. I am very pleased. I will try to post some pix of it then dismantle it for cleaning and getting it ready for spring.

• Alc said thank you

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 06:19 AM

Gald you got it and better condition then you thought is  " icing on the cake " :thumbs:  

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 10:09 AM

Well, I got the planter. Going by the manual it looks like everything is there. It's not as rusty as it looks in the picture. Mostly covered in dirt and grease from use. It does have its tag and some of the DB decal is still visible. The catalog says it came with 6 seed plates. I got a dozen or so with it plus several sprockets for altering the seed spacing. I am very pleased. I will try to post some pix of it then dismantle it for cleaning and getting it ready for spring.

I am thrilled you got it !!!! along with the seed plate is a joy, what a gem that is.

I have a sweet spot for drill seeders so looking forwards to the restro.

#11 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 05:18 AM

Here's what I got. It's in nice shape. I could actually put it to use as is. I don't plan to restore it yet. For now, I'm just going to give it a good cleaning and servicing.IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0006.JPG

• Alc said thank you

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 07:26 AM

Why do they call this a "field planter "   and the other type a " seeder"  ?  

#13 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 08:07 AM

I believe because the "Garden Seeder" is just that. It is much lighter duty, uses a much smaller hopper and much less options for seed plates. The "Field Planter" has a large hopper, has dozens of available seed plates and very heavy duty. It also runs a shovel in front of the furrow opener for breaking up the earth and clearing trash out of they way. It is very similar to what is used for larger tractors. Being made by Cole I'm thinking it may have been an off the shelf 4 wheel tractor model that Cole modified to DB specs. If anyone knows about Cole planters maybe they could help me with info.

Before I bought this planter I had already committed to buy a "Garden Seeder" from a gentleman. I should be picking that up soon and maybe I can show a comparison of two.

• Alc said thank you

#14 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 08:22 AM

I have the seeders   for the Tri-trac  and the hopper is a lot smaller I've never used it but am thinking of mounting it for shows this year . 

#15 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 08:26 AM

Why do they call this a "field planter "   and the other type a " seeder"  ?  

That is something i never quite figured out how it happened.

Looking back to when mechanical planters/seeders got started in the horse drawn era.

Originally anything that had a furrow opener drops a seed, a closer and tamping wheel was called a seed drill, a planter was a person sitting on a horse drawn or tractor drawn ''planting cart'' which also had a opener, closer and sometimes tamping wheel but the person put plants/cuttings in the ground.

Planet Jr. and Cole are good examples, from the factory, Planet Jr. was seed drill, Cole in the other hand was field planter, Cole got started primarily on corn and beans and has always been large capacity which i were i think the ''field'' part comes from, Planet Jr was always small seed with tight tolerances even though it also could plant corn and beans.

Enter the 1950's and planter becomes the predominant temp applied by the manufacturer, even though Plant Jr was still called seed drill from the factory, when rebranded and sold it was called vegetable planter.

When using Wikipedia there is no ''field planter'' only ''planter'' which calls for a container that houses/hold live plants, the same with vegetable planter.

In the other hand when ''seed drill'' is typed in,.......

Seeder is usually a broadcast type for such as grass, wheat, rye and such and is ''seeded'' on the top of the ground.

Planter to this day is still used worldwide but when asked about seed drill, nobody understands.

Kind of odd,...

• Alc said thank you