#31 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 12:45 AM

I finished up the replacement tank mount. I checked the voltage output and it is showing 95 and 195... Little low. I'm not sure why though.

I also played with the throttle control. It seems to be easily adjustable... just needs a cable. I wonder what the low (safe) idle RPM is.

From cold start, all I have to do is put a few drops of ATF in the "starting oil" hole and she fires up on the first pull. I really like this little diesel.

DSCN3016.JPG

DSCN3017.JPG

Edited by twostep, February 09, 2014 - 09:20 AM.

• trowel said thank you

#32 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 12:50 AM

What is all over that engine that gives it that strange color?

I assume it's just the remnants of spilt diesel... it comes off with some break cleaner. If you look at these last two pic's, down at the bottom of the engine block you can see some spots that are a little cleaner. That is from spraying some break cleaner around it while cleaning the oil filter.

#33 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 07:51 AM

I finished up the replacement tank mount. I checked the voltage output and it is showing 95 and 195... Little low. I'm not sure why though.

I also played with the throttle control. It seems to be easily adjustable... just needs a cable. I wonder what the low (safe) idle RPM is.

From cold start, all I have to do is put a few drops of ATF in the "starting oil" hole and she fires up on the first pull. I really like this little diesel.

attachicon.gifDSCN3016.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN3017.JPG

Sounds like a little Yanmar. Don't let it sit outside in below temps for a while, oh my god, it will pop, and pop, and pop, and pop.

95 is very low, 125 volts is were you want to be, adjust the throttle for a little more speed, these Yanmars have the mechanical oil pump, it can idle at 650 rpms with no problems.

• twostep said thank you

#34 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 08:23 AM

Im slow this morning,

The tank looks great. You might want to add a sediment bowl before the inline fuel filter, the same kinds small gas engines use as a water separator/sediment-that-somehow-finds-it's-way-in. Critical to keep the fuel clean on diesels.

The gen-head on yours is two pole, set speed, it has to spin at 3600 rpms to produce 120 volts for 60 hertz. Give yourself 10 % extra, set it at 3700 rpm off load for 125 volts 55 hertz. Voltage drop should be 20 % at 100 % load.

Between gas gen sets with snap mags, twin mags, distributors, ectc.. single and multi cylinder diesel powered gen sets, Gen heads with AVRs, four pole gen heads, blah, blah, blah

So,..i made this meter box for testing gennies. Might give you an idea.

Attached Thumbnails

• meterbox.jpg
  • meterbox1.jpg
  • meterbox2.jpg
  • meterbox3.jpg
  • roland_ac1.jpg
  • rolandac1_2.jpg
  • rolandac1_3.jpg
  • rolandac1_4.jpg

• olcowhand and twostep have said thanks

#35 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for the advice. The Yanmar manual shows no-load max is 3800. I just got a digital optical tach so I'll check it out.

That is a fancy piece of test equipment... do you you work on gennys for business or just a hobby?

• trowel said thank you

#36 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for the advice. The Yanmar manual shows no-load max is 3800. I just got a digital optical tach so I'll check it out.

That is a fancy piece of test equipment... do you you work on gennys for business or just a hobby?

So much happening lately i forgot about your Yanmar.

Both, as best as i can, side job, mostly self taught, the newer gennys, forget it, cheap computer controled.

Things has changed very dramatically in the past few years as far as the economy, cheaper to buy new then used now so,... wanted to move up into prime movers but never really happened.

Nothing fancy about the meter box or control panel if you would, hertz, volts and amps for single phase, was going to build another for dual voltage and higher Kw/amps.

3800 is fine, valve float on those is not until around 4200 or a little more.

Do not allow it to idle for long, especially in the winter, keep it loaded, if you can grasp the cylinder with your bare hands with out burning yourself it is running too cold, load it up, cylinder bore glazing and decoking is not fun.

• twostep said thank you

#37 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 02:09 PM

. Parts for the gen. set are 

probably still available. 

Nope.  It took me a along time to get this to even work.  Grainger was no help.  I ended up going to a local electronic store that rebuilds welded, motors, etc.

#38 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 11:21 AM

Nope.  It took me a along time to get this to even work.  Grainger was no help.  I ended up going to a local electronic store that rebuilds welded, motors, etc.

unfortunately I believe David is right. All I've been able to find for this thing is manuals. You can find plenty of parts for the Yanmar online but not for the genny itself.

#39 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 07:01 PM

City electric in Lexington can get parts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Tapatalk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yanmar, l60