14 replies to this topic

#1 pattonvalleyfarm OFFLINE  

pattonvalleyfarm
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 52716
  • 13 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted January 18, 2014 - 07:46 PM

I have plans to get a Ford 8n over the summer. I would like to know all I can before I get it. The more information the better is how I see it. I would like to know how the transmission is seat up, and when you are able to work the three point and the PTO when using equipment. Also facts like years made and horse power would be much appreciated as well. I appreciate all replies.

#2 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 18, 2014 - 08:19 PM

Everything you want to know is here.

http://www.oldfordtractors.com/

• Bruce Dorsi, boyscout862, toomanytoys84 and 1 other said thanks

#3 pattonvalleyfarm OFFLINE  

pattonvalleyfarm
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 52716
  • 13 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted January 18, 2014 - 08:32 PM

Everything you want to know is here.

http://www.oldfordtractors.com/

I like the sight. Good source of info for me, thank you for replying.

#4 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted January 18, 2014 - 08:51 PM

Already linked but this is the page I was thinking of:

http://www.oldfordtr...m/idhistory.htm

http://just8ns.com

http://www.8ntractors.com

Edited by Trav1s, January 18, 2014 - 08:51 PM.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,626 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted January 18, 2014 - 09:21 PM

After driving the 861 - the 8N will seem like driving a Yugo  :(

No power steering - no 5 speed - no live PTO - no live hydraulics

• boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 18, 2014 - 10:03 PM

The 8N is still a popular tractor.  Definitely has advantages over a 9N or 2N. 

A good synopsis is here:  http://www.tractorda...23-ford-8n.html

Ben W.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#7 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 20, 2014 - 09:30 AM

I wanted to thank you guys for wasting 45 minutes of my life looking at Ford 8Ns.  A tractor I had no interest in, and now I want one.

#8 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted January 20, 2014 - 10:06 AM

I wanted to thank you guys for wasting 45 minutes of my life looking at Ford 8Ns.  A tractor I had no interest in, and now I want one.

I have been working on a friend for months off/on trying to get it running. My wife has seen them and wants us to get one.... not sure for what other than so the boy and I can have a father/son project. Not like we don't have enough already with all the GT's :D

Their are a ton of them around my area, usually CL is full of them for sale.

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 20, 2014 - 11:38 AM

There are so many 8N's out there that there is no part not available for them, which makes them a good choice.

There are still a lot of them in Iowa. But several dealers in the area hauled  thousands of them to Missouri so what is left sell very high.

Around here They run from $800 for a non runner often Stuck engines and go up from there. A good runner with new paint and tires will bring $2,000- $4,000. That is probably not too high since it would be easy to tie that up in a refurb.

I seriously considered getting one, but for less money was able to get a 1980 Ford 1500. It suits me well and will do everything an 8N will.

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 20, 2014 - 11:41 AM.

#10 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 08:52 AM

There are a ton of 9N, 2N and 8N tractors around here in KS. They go for $400 with the engine stuck, and around $1500 to $2000 in nice running condition.

I had a 1941 9N, I bought it as "not running" for $500, it had new rear tires so I thought it was worth it for that.

The guy said he had put a fair amount of money into it, it had quite a few new parts, but it quit on him again and he was sick of messing with it. So I got it home, looked in the gas tank, had seen it had like a 1/4" of gas in it, so I went ahead and put 5 gallons in it, the old thing started right up :dancingbanana: , it never did smoke or have anything wrong with it that I could find. I ended up keeping it for a few months before I sold it. It was a nice tractor, but it did not have a live 3-pt, if the clutch was pushed in, the 3-pt would not go up :(

I'm not sure about the 2N's, but I know the 8N's have live 3-pt which would be a great improvement.

And for a little bit of useless information, the 9N's were called that because they started making them in 1939, same with 2N's "1942" and 8N's were "1948".

Sometimes I see a "1943 8N" (or something like that) tractor for sale, then you know they either got their year off or it's a 2N :bs:

Good luck on your search,

#11 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 08:57 AM

I would look for the next series myself, the 8ns dont have live hydraulics a Jubilee or 600 series ect would.

#12 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 07:52 PM

I have a 49' Ferguson, two 8N,s ( 50' & 51') and a 56' Ford 640.
It all depends on what You want to do with it.
And how good a deal You can get.

So, what are your plans for it?

Joe

#13 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,518 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 08:08 PM

If I had to do it all over again I would go straight to the Fordson Dexta and skip the rest. Just wish I had known about them 30 years ago.

There is no need for power steering on one of these unless your installing a loader. Live power, Live PTO, dual range transmission, and uses nothing to speak of for fuel. Parts are easily obtained. Diesel  :D

I know you were looking at an 8N but seriously if your planning to work it, this tractor is only a little larger and can use all the same implements. 8N's are cute tractors and will always be popular. If you plan to use a three point tiller or need to creep with it and the 8N will not go slow enough unless it has had a step down transmission added. What ever you get keep in mind that rear tires have gotten very expensive. Good luck in your search.

Fordson 002 - Copy.JPG

Edited by Cvans, February 06, 2014 - 11:18 AM.

#14 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 09:00 AM

If I had to do it all over again I would go straight to the Fordson Dexta and skip the rest. Just wish I had known about them 30 years ago.

There is no need for power steering on one of these unless your installing a loader. Live power, Live PTO, dual range transmission, and uses nothing to speak of for fuel. Parts are easily obtained. Diesel  :D

I know you were looking at an 8N but seriously if your planning to work it, this tractor is only a little larger and can use all the same implements. 8N's are cute tractors and will always be popular. If you plan to use a three point tiller or need to creep with it the 8N will not go slow enough unless it has had a step down transmission added. What ever you get keep in mind that rear tires have gotten very expensive. Good luck in your search.

attachicon.gifFordson 002 - Copy.JPG

Cvans is right, you will not be able to till with one, a friend of mine has a mid 60's (I think) Ford 601 work master, it is even to fast to till.

Edited by BTS, February 06, 2014 - 09:01 AM.

#15 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 04:36 PM

Cvans & BTS are Right about the N's being geared too fast. That's the one thing I forgot to mention, My 1500 runs about .5 mph in low/ low  and is running my 4 ft tiller just fine. The Tiller is rated at minumum hp of 25 at the PTO. My Ford is putting out 17 @ PTO and is working pulling it, but does it ok.