19 replies to this topic

#16 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 01, 2011 - 10:32 AM

Indoor/outdoor carpet....problem solved.

Rev....I dont think you are going to be happy with it, unless its a large area and you park in different spots every time

That's always a possibility. It's an easy enough thing to undo though, just scrape it back to the gravel and top it up.

#17 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 01, 2011 - 05:39 PM

IMHO, It's your space and I think you should do whatever it is that makes you want to look at it LOL. The only possible drawback that I can see is trying to find it in the winter to plow it off. I use the gravel of my driveway to know when I'm at the edge of it.

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted January 01, 2011 - 06:27 PM

I use the gravel of my driveway to know when I'm at the edge of it.

Do you mean the pile of gravel from the last time you plowed?

Sorry, had to :poke:

#19 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 02, 2011 - 11:28 AM

IMHO, It's your space and I think you should do whatever it is that makes you want to look at it LOL. The only possible drawback that I can see is trying to find it in the winter to plow it off. I use the gravel of my driveway to know when I'm at the edge of it.

Ah, that's easy. One side lines up with the eaves of the garage, the other with the concrete pad in front of the step.

#20 Pa Plow Day OFFLINE  

Pa Plow Day

• Contributor
  • Member No: 201
  • 7 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted January 19, 2011 - 06:46 PM

sounds like a muddy problem to me. Also if you don't lay down a landscape fabric before the topsoil, theres a great possibility the dirt will seep down through the stone, the stone works it way to the top, and eventually you'll have a muddy, stony mess. If you decide you don't like it, it would be very hard to scrap off the topsoil and get back to stone, so you will need to add stone. I tried using my side yard as a driveway, but after only a couple months the mud, and dead grass got to me, so i scrapped away the topsoil and added sub-base, and never looked back.

Some guys suggested the blocks, or grass mats. They're a great option, but not cheap. Also i don't know if they're intended for everyday use. I always see them advertised for sports field parking areas, where they onlt get used now and then. I could be wrong.

Good luck with whichever route you choose, i think a grass driveway sounds very cool, but not very realistic.