6 replies to this topic

#1 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,222 Thanks
  • 1,753 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 05:47 PM

Can I run a Kohler K181 on pure alcohol( like the big pulling tractors) with no modifications. If not what would I need to change. Is there any benefit to running alcohol?

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 05:59 PM

Not too much that can be done to a K181, porting, polishing, shaving the head.

Things may have changed so there may be mods out there now.

let me try that again :

Edited by trowel, January 17, 2014 - 06:01 PM.

• Bmerf said thank you

#3 lesmeister OFFLINE  

• Member No: 30635
  • 185 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 06:19 PM

I have seen them run on E-85 with a little carb adjustment.

#4 Littledeere OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,540 Thanks
  • 1,438 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 08:22 PM

Win I used to run go carts it took 2 times the fuel so the carb needed some major work or replacement and the rubber parts need to be replaced with something that can take the alcohol .As for as what it would do made our engs. run much cooler with helps many tuneing issues

#5 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

• Member No: 20120
  • 1,842 Thanks
  • 1,064 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 09:19 PM

The old school bike racers used to shave the fins off to run better. Alcohol burns too cold

#6 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11127
  • 1,325 Thanks
  • 1,509 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 10:31 PM

Well it depends on what you want to do with it. As stated with the carbs, your gonna need an alky carb to run it. Yes alcohol does run cooler because with the pulling application there are no fins on the flywheels. they're just big whirling masses of billet steel.  

With running alcohol, you have to keep in mind that the motors that pullers use like the pro stocks, sport stocks, super stocks, and all those they tend to have their engines timing advanced, which in result creates heat. And with them running heavier flywheels to help the top end there are no fins on the flywheels to there is no way to keep the head cool even if your running a small electric fan. They also run dual spark plugs, coils, and some even run methanol which also runs cool but can burn and irritate your skin. Since your using such a small motor I wouldn't tinker with it because there is no benefit to be using it.

#7 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,629 Thanks
  • 1,043 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 11:28 PM

We run alky in the super modified dirt tracker 410cid hilborn injected, much differnt animal than a kohler tho.

The pros are --price $2.50 a gallon--easy on rods and bearings because of the slower burn pushes the piston instead of banging it down--loves high compression ratio 14 to 1 no problem---and increased power,and you can mix in some nitro with it. 

The cons are---you use twice as much-hard starting-takes forever to get heat in the motor-to rich and your oil turns to milkshake and its really hard on pistons/rings/cylinder walls/valve stems and guilds and because alky sucks water out of the air you have to slop it down with wd40 at the end of the day

or cylinders ect start to rust real quick.

Could you run it with no mods? I don't think so and it could be a tuneing night mare.But what the heck if you want to try it go for it.Let me know how it workes out because I just love the smell of alky burning engines.