#1 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 02:03 PM

38" blower hitch.   I went out today to clear the driveway and saw that " Eds" blower was sitting a little crooked on the front. I looked and saw that one of the bolts that holds the hitch on was backed out. It looked like the lock washer had broken allowing it to back out. After looking closer it has no lock washer but it has a " Conical flad headed washer that the bolt goes thru...jacobsenpartsblower.PNG They are part # 21 in this drawing. The hitch fastens to the front of the tractor with just these two bolts and washers. I see that they are supposed to be backed up with a lock washer that wasn't on the bolts when I pulled them off. My question is #1.) do you think I need these? #2.) Anyone know where to get some without having to have them made? If I use new bolts and lock washers of the same hardness I wonder if they would stay put long enought to find some new ones to put back on.  Got the camera to work. Here are a few pictures. DSCF6787.JPG  DSCF6788.JPG DSCF6789.JPG

Thanks for any help.  Roger.

Edited by hamman, January 17, 2014 - 02:32 PM.

• VintageIronCollector and Sawdust have said thanks

#2 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,062 Thanks
  • 2,177 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 04:04 PM

??  I found sleeve type washers at Mcmaster Carr, but I cannot seem to post the link...it gets goofed up.  :wallbanging:

Edited by Talntedmrgreen, January 17, 2014 - 04:07 PM.

• hamman said thank you

#3 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 04:05 PM

I used standard bolts with lock wahers for the mounting plate on my Chief 800 and they have proved just as good as the originals for me. You can pick them up at your local hardware store or wherever.

• hamman said thank you

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 04:12 PM

I would think that the cone is there to center the bolt in a larger hole, or in a counter-sunk hole.

You may need to find some cone shaped washers to keep the mount from wiggling.

I haven't seen exactlly what you have there, but those cones were used for a reason!

• hamman and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 04:20 PM

If you want NOS Jacobsen I can go to a local dealer and see if they still have some just need part number.

P.S. They are VERY cheap

Edited by Tommy Williamson, January 17, 2014 - 04:21 PM.

• hamman said thank you

#6 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 06:30 PM

KC9KAS is right about the cone. Those are 5/16" bolts that are 1 1/4" long the hole in the plate is just slightly larrger than the 5/16" . They center the plate on the front of the tractor for the blower atachment arms to lock into with pins.  I bought new bolts and lock washers of the same grade. I also bought some "trim" conical washers and put them on for now, tightened them down good. If I check them periodicly,  I am sure I will be good. I don't believe the sleeve would fit in it due to the size of the hole. I guess I could open the hole enough to get the sleeve in but I believe that would defeat the purpose. Tommy the part number is #3446141 and there is two of them. You don't have to make a special trip to find out if they have them. Just when ever you are passing by.  I've called several local (closest is 30 miles one way)  dealers today and they mostly just said "Huh" never heard of such a thing. I just laughed and told them thats probably because the tractor and blower are older than they are. I called Fastenal and they gave me some numbers of their guess and they wer'nt close. I also called a local place we call "Nuts are us" (Midstate bolt and screw) and they couldn't help me. They may just not be availble any more and I may have to live with that. My BIL has a friend who runs a small machine shop and I might take the remnants to him to see if he could make something.

It is back together now and ready to work tomorrow morning. Thanks guys I appreciate the help. Roger.

P.S. That is why I like this place, everyone is so helpful and willing to assist. Thanks.

• Sawdust said thank you

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 10:13 PM

Roger, did you plug through McMaster Carr with that?  I wonder if some kind of flange bushing would do the job?  There are some with tapers, but I wonder if they make them that small.

Ben W.

• hamman said thank you

#8 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 10:24 PM

I went a far as my eyes would stand. I am going to call them Monday and give them some information about them. Maybe they can find something on them from their catalog. I think I made 10 phone calls, and looked at about 20 different sites. Thanks. Roger.

#9 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted January 18, 2014 - 07:37 AM

How about something like this?

http://www.mcmaster....nt-nuts/=qaxiyc

Links to McMaster-Carr never work the way they're intended to but that one gets you close.  Scroll about halfway down to the "Nonremovable Breakaway Nuts", maybe one of those threaded onto the bolt could work in place of the washer?  You wouldn't be able to remove it from the bolt of course but I don't see why you'd need to.  

That was the best I could come up with this early in the morning :D

• hamman and drbish have said thanks

#10 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted January 18, 2014 - 10:06 AM

A couple of those look promising ! I think I can make something like them work. I went as far in the site as my eyes and head would allow without exploding yeaterday. Thanks for helping me out. Going to investigate them a little further.  Thanks. Roger.

#11 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted January 18, 2014 - 10:11 AM

I have a LOT of experience navigating their site lol, it's rare that they don't have what I need...

#12 ACWheel65 OFFLINE  

ACWheel65

• Member No: 5442
  • 15 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted January 20, 2014 - 05:04 PM

Regular old bolts worked good for me too.

#13 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 07:56 PM

hamman, I called the old Jacobsen dealer other day and they don't have any. :(

Edited by Tommy Williamson, January 26, 2014 - 07:56 PM.