Hydraulic Blade And Port Maintenance?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nglauer OFFLINE  

• Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 01:01 AM

I was wondering if it is possible for me to replace the seal on the Hydraulic angle ram on my 54" blade. I noticed that is was dripping the other day while I worked on my driveway. I also have a slow leak on one of the ports. It seems to seat properly - but it has a slow leak as well.

I wasn't sure what the easiest way to fix these would be. Neither leaks fast enough to be a huge concern - but I would still like to fix them before they develop into bigger problems. 

#2 oddfirecj5 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11152
  • 69 Thanks
  • 246 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 07:31 AM

it depends if the body is welded for the ram. you can bring it into a hydraulic shop and they can rebuild it. i had mine done for $75. or you could buy another cylinder and then rebuild the old one at your convenience.

the ports i would just buy new ends for both. mine are doing the same thing on my 1886 

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 11:11 AM

There are usually O rings in the ports on the tractor that can be replaced. I'd try that first. Make sure the ports are clean.

#4 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,586 Thanks
  • 3,739 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 11:22 AM

I would guess you can replace both fittings (male & female sides of the connection) with parts from NAPA for $50.  I did this on my JD 120 after seeing significant wear on the inside and outside of the female fittings on the tractor.  Well worth the money.

Edited by Trav1s, January 17, 2014 - 11:23 AM.

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,521 Thanks
  • 6,381 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 06:53 PM

Would think replacing the ends of connectors is best deal. Not sure you can do any "rebuild" on those. Might not be worth the effort and time and frustration either.  Is this a Deere?  Get to dealer and Buy those overpriced ends and finish quick, no frustrations!