• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MattB OFFLINE  

MattB
  • Member No: 52772
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted January 16, 2014 - 11:02 PM

I have just acquired a bobcat 310 with a Kohler K341. It has been parked for about 5 years do to the motor not wanting to run after it warms up.

I replaced the starter, carb, points, plug, wire, condenser, fuel lines, filter, and coil. The points are set at .018. The carb is set at 1.25 turns out on the idle screw. The air mixture screw is 4 turns out.

It will crank and almost run. I have got it started 2 times and let it run for 2-3 minutes before it dies. It will not restart. It started very very hard the 2 times. The fuel pump is working. I also flushed the gas tank.

Any thoughts?

#2 Jlaws ONLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 543 Thanks
  • 366 posts

Posted January 16, 2014 - 11:41 PM

I'd check the valve lash first , if the tappet / valve clearance is to tight when cold , after warmup the exhaust valve wont close fully due to heat expansion causing hard starting .

I'd also check the head gasket , a slightly blown head gasket leaks more after the engine warms up also causing hard starting when warm , you can usually see a wet area around the head bolts if its leaking by the gasket .

Edited by Jlaws, January 16, 2014 - 11:44 PM.

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#3 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 12:16 AM

you can first check what Jlaws stated

did it sit outside for all the years?

a valve might be sticking a little and it might free up after checking the valves

moisture can cause the valves to stick.

if it sat inside, moisture still can cause a problem in a unheated garage or building

try resetting the per Kohler manual

carb-setting.png

have you checked the voltage to the coil?

also check the voltage to the points

if you do not have a manual for the Kohler, you can download it from the manual section on this site or from Kohler's site

Edited by lyall, January 17, 2014 - 12:23 AM.

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#4 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 12:31 AM

Maybe try a static points timing with a multimeter just to be sure. I had one with those symptoms and that did the trick. I've found a couple that were set far from .018 or .020 when properly timed.

#5 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,315 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 01:09 AM

Do you have an in-line spark checker?  they are cheap and will give you an indication if the spark is good..  Pull the plug and read it..  Lean/rich?  Oily?  Gas Fouled??

Rule out valves with a comp. test..  60-70# as the engine has ACR..

Lower?-  Pull the head and investigate..

Fire back with more info..

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,624 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 07:04 AM

Looks like the guys are already helping, so I just stopped to say :welcome: to GTTalk.

I would double the info above, but a compression check and an inline spark checker are easy checks and answer a lot of questions.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 07:27 AM

Welcome to the forum! :wave:  Another thing is whether the coil was getting hot as it warmed up? I agree with MH81 (Alan) post above, lets you know what is going on.

#8 MattB OFFLINE  

MattB
  • Member No: 52772
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 07:34 AM

Thanks for the info. I will try the compression test and spark.

The loader has been sitting outside. It does have a lot of compression. When you take the plug out, it is still hard to roll over.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,624 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 07:46 AM

Is it a good, snappy battery?

#10 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,289 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 08:15 AM

My first thought was the ignition switch. Known to cause problems when warmed up.

#11 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 08:24 AM

Hard to turn over with the plug out is likely just drag from the hydraulics - especially if it is outside this time of year.   :(

I'd go ahead and pull the head off the engine to make sure the cylinder is not scored. 

When I was a young-un I had a Honda XL100 that had a scored cylinder.  Ran great when cold but once it warmed up the tolerences in the cylinder were too tight and it would bogg down and die.  That thing made a lot of short trips - brother and I figured out how far it would go before it got tight enough it wouldn't run.  We'd make a big circle out in the pasture and try to get back before it quit.   We didn't like walking back.

Welcome to GTT!  

Just drop it off @ my place and when I'm done with it I'll call ya .......  might be 5 years, but I'll call ya. :smilewink:

#12 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 10:53 AM

Check for fuel and fire and go from there.  

The old school way to check spark is to place a screwdriver into the spark plug boot then place a 1/4" to 1/2" space between the metal of the screwdriver and the spark plug.  Crank and watch for the color of the spark - orange/yellow is a weak, white/blue is strong and hot.  Once you have figured out the spark then move on to fuel.  

Fuel next - Will it run if you spray carb cleaner in it?  From what you have shared I would guess it to be a fuel problem - likely a carb that needs cleaned and rebuilt.  What kind of carb is it?

Travis

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 11:28 AM

Those engines are normally pretty reliable but when they get cranky it can be a head scrather to figure out what's going on. Back to basics is how I approach it. Start checking all the wiring, gaskets etc and go from there. The plug will tell you a lot about what is going on.

• Trav1s said thank you

#14 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,315 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 04:13 PM

Thanks for the info. I will try the compression test and spark.

The loader has been sitting outside. It does have a lot of compression. When you take the plug out, it is still hard to roll over.

If it cranks over hard, hook a muti-meter up to the coil pos. lug (+)  If the voltage drops below ~ 10VDC it won't make a good apark..

#15 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 05:44 PM

4 turns out on the air screw? Which screw is this there are 2 mixture settings on those idle and high speed.  I have never had a kohler K series that needed 4 turns... usually 1-1/2 or so.  there is no good "book" setting for those its a 'gotta play with it and set it to where the motor sounds/works best" kinda thing.   I start with them at 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 turns  out warm it up and then set it where ever it wants to be for th 'best run"