Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Winter museing... (aka, the seed catalog's came in)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted December 30, 2010 - 10:10 PM

You know... I think this next season, I am going only grow Roma's. We do not eat as many as we can, and I can a lot of sauce! For the couple weeks that the others may be ready before the Roma "take over" comes in, I think I can live with it. I mean, the Roma's are great for cutting up to eat raw, and they excel for sauce.

Burpee's "Big Mama"sounds awesome, but $12.95 for three Hybrid plants? Yea, I don't think so!

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted December 30, 2010 - 10:34 PM

It is the time to go through seeds from last year that can be still used, which ones to order more of ,new plants to try.Too many to choose from.

#3 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted December 31, 2010 - 09:00 AM

Well, the choice has been made..... Tomatoes: Paste Varieties

I went with the Opalka, and the LaRoma III. These two seem like they will make a great "mix" and I will have left over seeds to re-plant the following year. We can about 95% or our tomatoes for spaghetti sauce, so that is my top goal. I plan to put in 30 plants this year with maybe a 15 + 15 mix.

Then our other "massive crop" will be the bush beans, as we can a lot of those as well. My garden is 25' x 50' so the beans will be in 25' wide beds with about 8 plants wide. That's 200' of beans in each bed... I am looking at 4 beds like this for a total of 1000' of beans. The rest will depend on whether or not I get the 50' x 2' raised bed placed along one side this spring. I want to make smaller, protected beds for stuff like lettuce, carrots, and stuff like that. These beds may have removable "cages" that can be placed over them to keep everything out.

Posted Image
Larger View
LaRoma III VFFNA Hybrid #5183 (30 seeds) $3.25
One of the very best 'Italian-type' tomatoes known for its outstanding vigor and uniformity has become even better. Big yields of 5 to 8 oz. fruit are produced on large, vigorous plants with excellent disease resistance. Expect larger fruit and healthier plants than with the standard Roma. Determinate. 76 days.

Posted Image
Larger View
Opalka #5045 (30 seeds) $2.85
This is one of the best paste tomatoes we know, primarily because it makes sauce so good and sweet that you wouldn't even have to add flavoring to it. Tomatoes are large, at least 5 inches long, and shaped like a banana pepper with a pronounced tip on the bottom. Plants have wispy-type foliage, but are vigorous and very productive. The fruit has very few seeds and is extremely meaty with a rich, sweet flavor. Although they make outstanding sauce, these tomatoes are good enough to eat fresh. Heirloom variety originally from Poland. Indeterminate. 75 days

Edited by FirefyterEmt, December 31, 2010 - 09:15 AM.

#4 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 31, 2010 - 09:15 AM

I generally grow these: Manitoba | Heritage Tomato Seed

They work well in our climate and are excellent for eating. They aren't bad for sauces etc., although I'd likely go with a different tomato if that was my main usage.

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 31, 2010 - 09:47 AM

FirefyterEmt
Those look like good choices. Especially the opalka variety.

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted December 31, 2010 - 10:13 AM

I've only planted beans and peas in double rows about 6" between. How far is the spacing between your beans ? Thanks , Al

#7 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted December 31, 2010 - 11:57 AM

Dave, I thought that one would be a good choice too and if they are as good as I expect, they may be the only one planted next year. I bought the Roma because I can not chance a failure... Last year was the first year I started my tomato's from seed, and I saved a ton of money and it was by far, my best crop ever.

Al, Last year was the first year I did really wide row's and I loved it. I would guess spacing was 8" between plants in a square grid. The beans will benefit in a few ways from this. Eight square inches is a good space for a typical bush bean to grow and have just a slight overlap on the plants. I also put a layer or grass clippings on the bed once the plants come up a little. This combo left a rather weed free bed, and the heavy plant load covered the soil and helped it from drying out. The bed is pretty wide a little over 6 feet, but you can work them from both sides so a 3' reach is not bad at all. The wide swath of plants also help in high wind to keep plants from being blown over. With the increase in planting (which I may regret when harvest time comes) will span pretty much a 25' x 25' space, or HALF my garden! The three row's or tomato's will take up a good half of what is left. Then I have the peppers, butternut squash and the need for more room!

I can really add to my garden with the raised bed along the side. I plan to make 48" x 24" bed's which will be great for stuff like the peppers to go into. I would also like to transplant my rhubarb patch into one of the 24" x 48" beds too. The raised beds will also allow for the full cage like mentioned before, but I can make some "hoop houses" from plastic, or even a cold frame "add on" to harden plants, start early lettuce and stuff. Gardens are something that seem to grow bigger and grander every year... One day I would love to even have another 24" bed on the other side so that I could grow a patch of strawberries to mix with that rhubarb patch. Mmmmm... Yum!

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted December 31, 2010 - 01:03 PM

I might try that 8" spacing in the raised bed area . my Roma didn't do well last year compared to other years. but I'll try them again this year ,You got me in the gardening mood so I'm going through last years notes . I was to make some plastic covers too . Bought some 6 mill greenhouse plastic now need to figure out how I want to make the framework . I want to be able to move it out of the weather and sunlight so it last longer .