6 replies to this topic

#1 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• Member No: 1581
  • 109 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted January 16, 2014 - 04:44 PM

Hi All,

I have the 42" snow blower on my B 112. I do not have the weights that counter balance it. I was thinking of making some out of 1" steel plate. How much weight do you put back there?

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted January 16, 2014 - 05:30 PM

I wouldn't hesitate with a couple hundred. But I don't have any either, but the only thing I use my b112 for is the tiller.

#3 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 12:52 PM

A couple hundred would never allow you to lower the blower...the facotry counterweight setup for these offered a 23# 'stinger' weight, and room for two optional 25# 'doughnut' weights.  I think Simplicity designed their counterweight system very well.

I have found that a stinger and two doughnuts (73#) counters the weight of a 42" blower very, very well, especially if you are using a manual lift system.  I leave my 42" in the 'float' position with this counterweight setup, to blow over frozen turf.  It prevents the blower from biting into the ground, and reduces wear on the shoes when on pavement.  Blowers don't scrape well to begin with, so that is not a concern for me when using the blower.  I would recommend 50-70# of weight in the rear lift.  I used to leave a 1" or smaller diameter rod in the rear lift bracket, with a couple wheel weights on it.  Works great.

Also, a stinger and doughnut (48#, total) is perfect for balancing a 46" remote angle blade.  A stinger on it's own (23#) is adequate for a 42" manual angle blade.

• MH81, sacsr and trowel have said thanks

#4 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• Member No: 1581
  • 109 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 02:34 PM

Mr. Green,

Thanks. for the info. How long is the 1" bar? Also, do you need to be able to lock the weights at various points along the bar?

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 05:21 PM

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were talking wheel weights.
Glad someone spoke up. :wallbanging:

#6 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 05:31 PM

A couple hundred would never allow you to lower the blower...the facotry counterweight setup for these offered a 23# 'stinger' weight, and room for two optional 25# 'doughnut' weights.  I think Simplicity designed their counterweight system very well.

I have found that a stinger and two doughnuts (73#) counters the weight of a 42" blower very, very well, especially if you are using a manual lift system.  I leave my 42" in the 'float' position with this counterweight setup, to blow over frozen turf.  It prevents the blower from biting into the ground, and reduces wear on the shoes when on pavement.  Blowers don't scrape well to begin with, so that is not a concern for me when using the blower.  I would recommend 50-70# of weight in the rear lift.  I used to leave a 1" or smaller diameter rod in the rear lift bracket, with a couple wheel weights on it.  Works great.

Also, a stinger and doughnut (48#, total) is perfect for balancing a 46" remote angle blade.  A stinger on it's own (23#) is adequate for a 42" manual angle blade.

Got any pictures of these weights?

#7 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 10:02 PM

Here's the stinger and doughnut on my plowing machine

20131222_143705.jpg

You can stick any old length of roumd stock in the rear lift, so long as it will hold your weights. I used a chunk of rerod probably around 15" long. A bungee or somethin else can hold them in place, as the rear lift will have that rod angled down a bit when the blower is elevated completely.
  • sacsr said thank you