• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 WH55 OFFLINE  

WH55
  • Member No: 34102
  • 48 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted January 16, 2014 - 10:17 PM

Just a friendly reminder to protect your eyes ALL the time.  Yesterday while demonstrating a braze for a couple of my students I flipped up my face shield and turned to the side.  Somehow the hoses were wrapped just the certain way or caught the bench vise somehow and I twisted my arm holding the torch.  The flame grazed my face and singed the top part of my stache as well as my left eyelashes.  Now those little curly singed hairs act like velcro hooks grabbing each other whenever I close my eye.  Dang lucky I'm not blind from that experience.  I had my regular glasses on and they barely saved me from a life changing situation.  Be careful folks!

Thanks for this as I've seen people do many dangerous things with flame torches, such as cutting without goggles or a shield. Years ago a friend of mine showed up and his forehead was red and blistered, one of those guys who won't stop to put his PPE on before cutting or Mig welding. When I asked him what he'd done to himself, he told me that the cutting torch had a blocked hole and he turned it to see which hole was blocked, without, of course, extinguishing the torch. :(

• HDWildBill said thank you

#17 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 10:01 PM

You only get 2 of them, gotta get them safe.

I've shared this story before, but after watching my dad having metal shavings removed from his eye I never touch a grinder without glasses.  99% of the time when I start a project I put on a set of safety glasses and don't take them off till I am done. 

Having had two seperate incidents of welding bb's sucn in my cornea, I can relate. Did I metion I was wearing all the proper gear. The Zzzzzzzing of a dremel working on yer eye sucks,

• WH55 said thank you

#18 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 10:15 PM

PPE doesnt mean you are 100% safe...

#19 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710