10 replies to this topic

#1 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 04:20 PM

Any tricks or tips on how to get a flywheel removed. I have a little vertical shaft reo on a push mower. Gona have to take the flywheel off. Tried everything I know. Any ideas?  Really starting to **** me off. :mad2:

• hamman and A.C.T. have said thanks

#2 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 04:34 PM

Get a flywheel puller if its a Briggs if not Try and Air Chisel or if you don't have that Put 2 pry bars under it and pry on them and Wack the center bolt with a Hammer just be careful not to damage the thread's

• hamman said thank you

#3 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 04:35 PM

I used a wheel puller for B&S when I had to pull one of theirs. I Took a Heavy rubber mallet and a block of wood while prying with a wide blade prybar on a clinton and tech.. Have to be careful with that method. You could break the fly wheel or mess up the bearings. My BIL made a puller out of angle iron and bolts to pull a wheel off a kohler once. Maybe a picture would help with the ideas. Good luck. Roger.

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 04:43 PM

All of the above and also try tapping around the flywheel to aid in shaking it loose.

• hamman said thank you

#5 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 04:52 PM

As said if a B&S use the puller.  But I have had good luck spraying down the shaft and flywheel with PB Blaster then put the nut back on just enough to protect the threads the use a dead blow hammer and give it a good rap or two.

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 05:04 PM

Set up the puller with fair pressure, Oil or pentrant (PB Blaster for me) and let it soak long time. Leave alone for days, maybe add more oil once in awhile. Come back after you calm down or it will be broken!  All the other procedures above then. I've had stuck items that Popped themselves off this way, when you aren't even around! But that is just lucky I guess.

• hamman, JDBrian, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 09:40 PM

I can't really go beyond what everyone else says, but do keep in mind two things while you pry and whack.  One is that you are working on a REO, crankshafts are hard to find, so please protect the threads (but you knew that already, so I'll shut up.)

Second, I busted a bearing plate prying on it to pop off a flywheel.  The cast metal was not equal to the flywheel's rust.  Most good engines have a thick spot on the block or the bearing plate to pry on.  Read up where it is and use it. 

I also like to pour penetrating fluid into the flywheel and then attack it with nothing hotter than a brief meeting with a propane torch.  That usually does the trick for me.  What is REO using, light aluminum Phelon flywheel or Wico or something else?  I never messed with a vertical REO, I always play with the horizontal 90 degree box models. 

I did have a Wisconsin TFD with a rusted up flywheel.  You can't get to the back end of it since the shroud is in the way, but you can't get the shroud off until the flywheel comes off.  I suffered and broke out the gear puller.  It came off without any sweat.  Caution is that a small engine flywheel really should not be pulled that way, but a Wico or Phelon small aluminum model is usually thick enough to handle it. 

Moral of the story?  Maybe its time to work on the tool budget a bit.

Ben W.

Ben W.

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 10:55 PM

imagesCA4VCB3T.jpg

• trowel said thank you

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 16, 2014 - 07:40 AM

I've had good luck with the penetrating oil, and puller, putting some tension on it and then letting it sit. If you can, leave the nut on the shaft, just backed off a thread or so. If a heavy flywheel pops off with a puller attached to it the whole works could slide off the oiled shaft and end up on the floor or your foot. Not good either way. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#10 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 08:46 PM

Set up the puller with fair pressure, Oil or pentrant (PB Blaster for me) and let it soak long time. Leave alone for days, maybe add more oil once in awhile. Come back after you calm down or it will be broken!  All the other procedures above then. I've had stuck items that Popped themselves off this way, when you aren't even around! But that is just lucky I guess.

I tried the soaking trick and it worked! Thank you so much. I used wd 40 for a few days and it did the trick. Just slight pressure and it popped right off. :dancingbanana:

• Alc and HDWildBill have said thanks

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 06:42 AM

Great news ,  I'll have to remember that tip if I have a stuck part ,,,, before I get mad and break something lol

• trowel said thank you