#1 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 03:58 PM

in the winter is, the dang snow sticks to the warm blade and blower and warm wheels and wrm tin and...well you can see where I'm comming from. It takes about an hour or so for the whole tractor to get cold enough to let the snow roll off. Now I'm very grateful for having the warm garage to put it in but when it's time to put it away there is a lot of stuck on snow. I usually clean it off good and then put it away. My drain is small and it will take most of it right away but sometimes there is more than the drain can handle and I have to help it drain. Just sayin. Not unhappy glad to have the warm place to store the tractors I use in the winter. Thanks. Roger.
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 04:04 PM

in the winter is, the dang snow sticks to the warm blade and blower and warm wheels and wrm tin and...well you can see where I'm comming from. It takes about an hour or so for the whole tractor to get cold enough to let the snow roll off. Now I'm very grateful for having the warm garage to put it in but when it's time to put it away there is a lot of stuck on snow. I usually clean it off good and then put it away. My drain is small and it will take most of it right away but sometimes there is more than the drain can handle and I have to help it drain. Just sayin. Not unhappy glad to have the warm place to store the tractors I use in the winter. Thanks. Roger.

Yeah I run into the same problem sometimes.
Do you keep your garage heated all the time?
I usually just heat it up when I know I'll be working in there for an extended period of time, if Not I keep the garage to around 40-50 Degrees and it only takes a few minutes of letting the tractor warm up outside to get the metal down to "operating Temperature"
  • hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 04:17 PM

We keep it at about 50* most of the time. It is attached to the house and helps keep the house warmer if I keep it that temp.. I tried it by lowering it to 40 but it makes that wall of the house colder. We are very well insulated but we get mostly west winds and that is the end the garage is on. My gas bill isn't much higher so it all wors out, In the spring and summer months my gas bill is really low so I put a little more towards it each of the warmer months so when it gets real cold I have some credit to fall back on. Most of the time it evens out by the end of the winter. Roger.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#4 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 04:58 PM

try putting a little oil on the blade - wipe it with a old rag

or try spraying it Pam cooking oil

I have use Pam on my snowblower and it helps coming from a warm garage

or you can try car wax on the blade

Edited by lyall, January 15, 2014 - 05:00 PM.

#5 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 05:38 PM

I used the penetrol for primer and sprayed black enamel on my wheeler blade. The snow just rolls off it, even in wet slush a little will hang on the top of the cutting edge.
Mike

#6 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 08:24 PM

i use car wax on the blade works good  if the wax dont work use some wd 40

#7 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 16, 2014 - 08:51 AM

diesel fuel and oil! 

I never heat my attached garage.  As the garage doors won't seal well and it would be a waste of heat...

The detached garage I keep around 60 when I am in there.