Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Do 1977 St16 Tractors Having Locking Differentials?

sears tractor locking rear differential

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jcwilde1 OFFLINE  

Jcwilde1
  • Member No: 49116
  • 40 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 02:49 PM

I started using my tractor this winter to plow snow and quickly got stuck. I can seem to move forward just fine but if I try to backup with a slight incline I noticed only one wheel spins and I quickly get stuck.

I thought it had a locked differential but now I am not so sure. It makes it hard to plow snow if you can't back up at the end! 

I have super old chains on my super old tires. So I am sure that isn't helping. But wasn't sure if they were supposed to be locked. 

• hamman said thank you

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 02:59 PM

they do not have the locking option.  You need more weight.

You can cheat a little and lean towards the side that is spinning. 

Edited by Gtractor, January 15, 2014 - 03:00 PM.

• hamman and Jcwilde1 have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 05:26 PM

Yes, these are not locking. It won't be an issue once you get the weight where you need it. Fluid filling, cast steel, sand weights, whatever you can get.

For the short term, putting an attachment on the back if you have a 3 point will help some. IMHO, about 100# per tire will get you close enough.

The problem is twofold. That engine is so spunky, it's hard to lug. Also, when you lift your plow, you are lightening the rear end.
  • hamman said thank you

#4 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 10:31 AM

I run filled ags with 35# wheel weight and a box blade and I still get stuck in reverse on some inclines with my '77 16/6, mainly with snow/ice. Sucks, but I've learned to work around it.

My buddy used to take these rears apart and somehow lock them permanently, basically making a spool rear. He used for straight lined pulling and highly recommended against it if using for everyday work.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 11:03 AM

I run filled ags with 35# wheel weight and a box blade and I still get stuck in reverse on some inclines with my '77 16/6, mainly with snow/ice. Sucks, but I've learned to work around it.
My buddy used to take these rears apart and somehow lock them permanently, basically making a spool rear. He used for straight lined pulling and highly recommended against it if using for everyday work.

Marty, are you running chains?

#6 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 12:19 PM

Marty, are you running chains?

Nope. I have fairly short flat concrete drive for snow removal and the rest of my work is in dirt or gravel. Even though we get lots of ice, chains have always been low on the list. I have a set I think went to my dad's old Allis, but I haven't tried to fit them, 2 link too, be better for the ags.

only real time I have reverse issue is backing up my mom's steep gravel drive, lose gravel more than anything over loss of traction due to tractor. I just have to plow all the way down, turn around, then drive back up.

• MH81 said thank you

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 12:48 PM

Chains will make such a difference you will wonder why you waited.
  • TAHOE said thank you

#8 dadscub OFFLINE  

dadscub
  • Member No: 53394
  • 14 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 03:57 PM

i have a craftsman18 hp garden tractor with blade on the front with ag tires and run 5lbs of air in them (when you see them wrinkle up you know ur hookin)with 250lbs of tractor weights hangin on the hitch i push the snow off my horse pens with it and plant sweet corn with a planter that weighs more than that and been doin it for 19 years now only repairs so far in that time is starter brushes (its a snow and dirt pushin beast)

• KennyP said thank you