54 replies to this topic

#46 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 10:04 PM

well i figured out why all of the places couldn't get the right rod bearings i had the older style rods in it that use a bearing thats NLA so im taking the rods out of my parts tractor if i can get the pistons out. here are some pics of my parts tractor as it sits tonight 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00818.JPG
  • DSC00819.JPG
  • DSC00820.JPG
  • DSC00821.JPG

#47 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 10:48 PM

well my parts tractor is split and i have the block out now i need to get the pistons out of the block, which will probably involve a press and a few swear words. then get the rods out of the pistons to put in the other tractor so i can start putting it back together. i hope to have this running by may 31 for our local tractor ride 

#48 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 09:14 PM

well i got one piston pressed out and the other moved enough to get the rod off now its time to change everything around to get the right rods with the good pistons with new rings and bearing then hone the cylinder and start putting it all back together  

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#49 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 11:07 PM

well i got one piston pressed out and the other moved enough to get the rod off now its time to change everything around to get the right rods with the good pistons with new rings and bearing then hone the cylinder and start putting it all back together  

Well, you haven't had much luck with tractors, lately, Nelson. It's gotta change sometime... maybe this is the start of it for you.

Smitty

• boyscout862 said thank you

#50 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 10:29 PM

well after tonight i have decided that this will be the last 2 cylinder deere i will own. compared to my farmall its a PITA to work on engine wise im not going to be sad the day i sell this thing 

#51 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted May 03, 2014 - 05:43 AM

Try not to let all these set-backs get to you . once all you hard work is done on the engine you shouldn't ever need to to this again on it . You can then enjoy the fruits of you labor with a fine running tractor

#52 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 12:22 AM

well i managed to squeeze some time on it today the engine is put together internally just have to put the crank cover back on got the head and valve cover on along with the front steering pedisol and all of the tires. its starting to look more like a tractor every time i work on it. im still hoping to have it done by saturday so this week there will be some late night working on it to try and have it done by then 

#53 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 10:44 PM

well im now waiting to get a radiator patched up then i can put everything else back together and get it running. the other day i picked up another project and i finally got pictures of it today its a 1939 or 40 allis chalmers b the engine is froze up and one of the front tires has a slow leak.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00822.JPG
  • DSC00823.JPG
  • DSC00824.JPG
  • DSC00827.JPG
  • DSC00828.JPG

#54 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 11:06 PM

back to square one, well maybe beyond it. I ut the pistons in and now they are in a bind or just stuck. so i have decided it will be the easiest to split the tractor and press the pistons out and start from there. if i have to order more parts then im going to work on my farmall to hopefully have it ready by the 31 for our tractor ride 

#55 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted September 05, 2014 - 11:58 PM

an update i was given a set of used pistons for this tractor that were 90 thousands over and had the block bored it is now reassembled and i have had it running im waiting on mag parts to work on it some more on another note i did get a 1946 cat d4 to play with