54 replies to this topic

#16 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted January 20, 2014 - 06:25 PM

well the spark plug didnt work it leaked through the exhaust valve, latter this week im going to take the tire that i tried to mount off then take it and another to a professional to have it done right. i might also be getting another parts tractor for free, but we will see about it.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#17 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 08:29 PM

my most recent work on it is a pipe with 2 pins that fit the fly wheel so i can hang weights on it like this one which weighs 100 lbs 

DSC00752.JPG

DSC00753.JPG

DSC00754.JPG

DSC00755.JPG

and here is what i found under the valve cover 

• Gtractor said thank you

#18 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 08:12 PM

WOW!!  Pretty crusty in there.  :wallbanging:

When I was trying to unstick my "60" I was able to put a solid round rod through the holes on the frame and lay a 20 ton bottle jack in the cylinders to push on the pistons.  I put a couple of layers of wood on top of the piston.   First was plywood to even out any uneven pressure.  Next I cut hedge blocks to just fit the bore and thats what the jack pushed on.  Biggest problem I had was the round bar stock I ran through the frame wasn't large enough dia. to be strong enough for the push I needed.   The holes in the frame were just too small.  Been too many years to remember my remedy but after many attempts to shore up the "base" I was successful in getting the engine lose and other than a few minor pits in the bottom of the left cylinder, it looked good inside.  All I had to buy was the head gasket and those one-time-use washers for around the head bolts. Tractor ran good without smoke and without an overhaul.

As crusty as the top end looks on that one I believe its time to tear into it and remove the jug by unbolting the rods from the crank.  Stand it up and let it soak some more.  After another long soak, put the jug in a press and see if you can get the pistons out without destroying them.  Best case sceenario at this point is you will need new rings.   Good Luck!

• nbent and boyscout862 have said thanks

#19 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 02:02 PM

WOW!!  Pretty crusty in there.  :wallbanging:

When I was trying to unstick my "60" I was able to put a solid round rod through the holes on the frame and lay a 20 ton bottle jack in the cylinders to push on the pistons.  I put a couple of layers of wood on top of the piston.   First was plywood to even out any uneven pressure.  Next I cut hedge blocks to just fit the bore and thats what the jack pushed on.  Biggest problem I had was the round bar stock I ran through the frame wasn't large enough dia. to be strong enough for the push I needed.   The holes in the frame were just too small.  Been too many years to remember my remedy but after many attempts to shore up the "base" I was successful in getting the engine lose and other than a few minor pits in the bottom of the left cylinder, it looked good inside.  All I had to buy was the head gasket and those one-time-use washers for around the head bolts. Tractor ran good without smoke and without an overhaul.

As crusty as the top end looks on that one I believe its time to tear into it and remove the jug by unbolting the rods from the crank.  Stand it up and let it soak some more.  After another long soak, put the jug in a press and see if you can get the pistons out without destroying them.  Best case sceenario at this point is you will need new rings.   Good Luck!

as soon as i get my jd 317 out of the shop this is going in to start the tear down process 

#20 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 03:35 PM

There are alot of tricks to freeing up old engines. First spray some PB Blaster in through the sparkplug holes. Then be patient. If a cylinder is on the compression stroke, you can fill it with oil. Take an old spark plug, knock out the insulater and adapt a grease fitting to it. Screw in the adapter and pump a little grease into the cylinder that is filled with oil. The grease gun can build enough pressure to move most pistons. Good Luck, Rick

That's a great idea!! 

Smitty

#21 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 03:41 PM

i got the tractor from a friend that has had the cylinders full of diesel for a while and hasn't done anything with the tractor since then. so far i have taken the flywheel cover off and put 2 bolts in it then tried to budge it with a big bar but no luck. the next time i work on it i will take the valve cover off and see how they look and see if i can get them to move. one thing i need to figure out is if the clutch is froze up or severely over tightened as it will not disengage. right now im going to take the carb from my farmall apart and clean it plus fix the choke, i guess it got jealous for not getting attention and having the deere use one of its extra tires and rim. and now for pics

Ahh, the good ol' JD B.  A neighbor had one when I was a boy, and used it to pump irrigation water out of the Jordan River.  In the summers, we had to keep the windows open to cool down and I went to sleep every night listening to that Johnny Popper-- ka tunk tunk tunk tunk.....

In my Diesel Tech classes at Weber State I got hold of another B and worked it over to get it running.  Had to weld up the head from the PO running straight water in it and freezing it.  Also gave it a valve job and put new rings in it... 

That's when I learned that both cylinders fire during one revolution, then coast through the second one...

Good luck with it.

Smitty

#22 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 03:45 PM

well i have tinkered a little bit here and there i have gotten the clutch working, it was just way over adjusted, and i pulled the valve cover off and found one cylinder to be on the intake stroke while the other was on the exhaust stroke, i removed the exhaust valve rocker arm so i have one cylinder that i can use the spark plug with the grease fitting to hopefully get it lose 

Nelson

Those engines fire twice in one revolution, then coast through one so the valve timing sounds right.

Smitty

#23 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 03:52 PM

as soon as i get my jd 317 out of the shop this is going in to start the tear down process 

Nelson

When I worked at Utah Track and Welding we used to have to get engines running that had been sitting and froze up.  One of the old time mechanics used to pour brake fluid into the top of the cylinder and let it set for a couple days.. Brake fluid absorbs water, and he generally could free up the worst stuck engines using this method.

Regards,

Smitty

#24 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 08:48 PM

well i got it into the shop the other day, and i think i can across the reason it was parked. the steering box was cracked and i finished it off.  

so today i took the head off and the crank cover plus the shifting tower. the reason it was so stuck wasn't the pistons rusted to the walls it was everything in the crankcase rusted together from there not being an oil drain plug in it. im going to go and find some sort of pump tomorrow so i can start washing out the crankcase with some diesel to hopefully free things up and get dirt and crap out of it.

oh and as i was working on this i looked in the tool box and found this i know what it does but its the first one i have seen in person.

DSC00787.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00773.JPG
  • DSC00774.JPG
  • DSC00775.JPG
  • DSC00776.JPG
  • DSC00777.JPG
  • DSC00778.JPG
  • DSC00779.JPG
  • DSC00780.JPG
  • DSC00781.JPG
  • DSC00782.JPG
  • DSC00783.JPG
  • DSC00785.JPG
  • DSC00788.JPG
  • DSC00789.JPG

Edited by nbent, February 09, 2014 - 08:49 PM.

#25 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 08:55 PM

just got the head back from the machine shop, pulled one piston out it looks good and all the rings move. hopefully tomorrow i can get the other out hone it and get the crank spinning better, its still a little stiff 

#26 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 09:10 PM

What are the markings on that tool?

Good luck with the engine.

#27 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 10:21 PM

its casting stuff the other side has the part number on it. 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00786.JPG

#28 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 10:26 PM

its casting stuff the other side has the part number on it. 

Mount steering wheel to keyed end and insert dogged end into flywheel and voila you got a starting crank!

• nbent said thank you

#29 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted February 20, 2014 - 06:12 PM

this is what the first cylinder and piston looked like when i took the piston out.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00792.JPG
  • DSC00793.JPG

#30 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 20, 2014 - 09:56 PM

this is what the first cylinder and piston looked like when i took the piston out.

Looks to me like you're a glutton for punishment, Nelson...

Smitty