54 replies to this topic

#1 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 11:43 AM

well i sold the 1960 impala i traded for and used the money to buy a john deere b that i just got home on Sunday. it seems to be in good shape but the engine is stuck i will try and get pictures of it latter today 

• hamman said thank you

#2 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 12:28 PM

:camera: :picsoritsnotyours: :wewantpics:

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 12:49 PM

There are alot of tricks to freeing up old engines. First spray some PB Blaster in through the sparkplug holes. Then be patient. If a cylinder is on the compression stroke, you can fill it with oil. Take an old spark plug, knock out the insulater and adapt a grease fitting to it. Screw in the adapter and pump a little grease into the cylinder that is filled with oil. The grease gun can build enough pressure to move most pistons. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, January 15, 2014 - 12:50 PM.

• limebuzz, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 1 other said thanks

#4 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 01:29 PM

:camera: :picsoritsnotyours: :wewantpics:

:ditto:  :tapping_fingers:

#5 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 03:29 PM

:camera: :wewantpics:

The impala and the B

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,612 Thanks
  • 3,912 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 03:50 PM

Due to the lay down "horizontal" design of the John Deere B engine you are at a severe disadvantage when trying to soak the cylinders to free the engine.   Take the spark plugs out and see if rain water has entered the cylinders.  If there is water in the one of the cylinders, the exhaust was left uncovered and the tractor was not under a roof.  You will need to make an adaptor for a shop-vac by using fuel line small enough to insert into the spark plug hole taped [sealed] to the vacuum's hose.  Remove all the water and fill the cylinder[s] as full as you can with diesel fuel with the spark plugs out.  Reinstall the spark plugs and pour more diesel fuel down the exhaust stack.  The cylinder that had water in it has the exhaust valve open so the diesel will run right into the cylinder just like the rain water did.   The diesel fuel will also be soaking both of the exhaust valves in case they are stuck too - which is very likely. 

I know it is tempting to just pull the head off the engine first thing to quickly drain any water and to be able to see what you are dealing with - but then you would loose the ability to "soak" the engine. 

Give it some time.  If the tires hold air you can put the tractor in high gear and grab a rear tire and attempt to rock it back and forth a little every day.  Watch the clutch closely for movement [rotation] while rocking the tractor. 

It is not likely the engine will break free this easily - but it can happen.

If you get lucky and see movement at the clutch, the engine has broken loose but remember you have filled the cylinder[s] with diesel and the engine will not continue to turn.  

Best of luck and keep us posted.  :thumbs:

• limebuzz, MH81, JDBrian and 3 others have said thanks

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 05:07 PM

I agree with what Kris said about the horizontal enginge being harder to get oil saok going.

Can you get a wrench on the flywheel? I have heard of guys soaking the cylinders then taking a long lever(as long as you can get and hanging Weights(Concrete Blocks on it and let it sit several days to weeks till it comes loose?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 05:12 PM

BIG GREEN! Ewwww!  Just kidding. Those heads are pretty big on those and I bet hard to get into them to work.  Aren't the plugs on deere's way up high and on side? Think could fill them that way?  I like the vacuum idea and methods noted above, sound like good ideas. I don't reccommend pulling around and dumping clutch, too many things can break or bend that way. Not sure what they have for valve covers, but might try to remove and bump and spray the valves to see if stuck too. Spraying and Waiting, don't rush.

#9 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 07:28 PM

i got the tractor from a friend that has had the cylinders full of diesel for a while and hasn't done anything with the tractor since then. so far i have taken the flywheel cover off and put 2 bolts in it then tried to budge it with a big bar but no luck. the next time i work on it i will take the valve cover off and see how they look and see if i can get them to move. one thing i need to figure out is if the clutch is froze up or severely over tightened as it will not disengage. right now im going to take the carb from my farmall apart and clean it plus fix the choke, i guess it got jealous for not getting attention and having the deere use one of its extra tires and rim. and now for pics

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00746.JPG
  • DSC00747.JPG
  • DSC00748.JPG
  • DSC00749.JPG
  • DSC00750.JPG

Edited by nbent, January 15, 2014 - 07:29 PM.

• Gtractor, KennyP, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#10 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 07:32 PM

oh and here is a pic of the impala and the potato digger i traded for the impala 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00659.JPG
  • DSC00667.JPG
  • DSC00668.JPG

• MH81, wawcub47, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#11 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 09:02 PM

I like old cars too, but my tractors don't need license plates or as much insurance, so I'm thinking your ahead at this point.

#12 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 09:20 PM

I like old cars too, but my tractors don't need license plates or as much insurance, so I'm thinking your ahead at this point.

yah well i picked up the potato digger for a hundred then traded it for the car after i put about $100 into it, then i sold the car to buy the tractor so im into the tractor a little over $200, which isn't bad in my mind

#13 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 09:32 PM

yah well i picked up the potato digger for a hundred then traded it for the car after i put about $100 into it, then i sold the car to buy the tractor so im into the tractor a little over $200, which isn't bad in my mind

In that case I'm thinking you well into the good on this one. :thumbs:

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 16, 2014 - 09:25 AM

Well if I remeber right on that B, since the engine is traversely mounted the flywheel is open on the right side and the Clutch runs off the flywheel. I would first get the clutch loose so your not trying to turn the whole driveline. Then get a bar or pipe 6ft- however long you can find. Soak down the cylinders and then hang weights on it and see if letting it sit for a while it breaks loose.

The Wife's uncle used to restore a lot of tractors with stuck engines and he said in a worst case scenario he had pulled the heads and pan  and used a fence post and sledge hammer to break them free.

• KennyP said thank you

#15 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted January 20, 2014 - 01:41 PM

well i have tinkered a little bit here and there i have gotten the clutch working, it was just way over adjusted, and i pulled the valve cover off and found one cylinder to be on the intake stroke while the other was on the exhaust stroke, i removed the exhaust valve rocker arm so i have one cylinder that i can use the spark plug with the grease fitting to hopefully get it lose 

• boyscout862 said thank you