#16 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 09:31 AM

Good luck if you buy, sounds like a pretty good deal. Obviously you have owned Dodge so you know what you are in for. I personally could only own one with a Cummins, then I am not sure I could stand the rest of the junk wrapped around it  :D

Okay, got that off my chest :smilewink:  I have two buddies that work at same Chrysler dealership, both say since Fiat took over, the overall quality has improved dramatically the last coupel years...these are both die hard GM boys too. 

With all the issues creeping up on Tahoe lately, I have  been getting the new truck bug too, but mine would actually be an old truck. Next time around, I will be buying a mid 80's square box Chevy that someone has restored with no computer :D . We paid off wife's Jeep in Sept and no car payment, with the house(s) remodels, I can not justify a $3-400 month payment when I can just make repairs myself and keep them running. $1100 for tires though is gonna hurt :wallbanging:

Let us know the outcome!

• oldedeeres said thank you

#17 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 10:15 AM

If they really have several left over '13s, I might be inclined to wait it out a bit yet.  They're getting to the point where they'll be desperate to get rid of them.

I'd drive that V-6 another time or two to be sure it's what you want.  The Pentastar engines are strong but that's an awful lot of weight to be dragging along.  We have a guy at work who's had one of the EcoBoost Fords for a while now and while he's happy with the power in normal driving, he's not pleased at all with its towing performance.  Plus, even with a lot of highway driving, he's not getting anyway NEAR the rated mileage.

#18 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 10:21 AM

I've been doing some reading about the pentastar v6.  Seems the mileage is all over the place. Some people say 15-18 others getting 20-25..

The horsepower difference between the new V6 and the old 4.7 in my current truck is 5 Horse power.  Not that big of deal.  My current Ram is a dog towing stuff.  I had a rather large trailer with my RZR, my wifes Recon, and 2 Polaris sportsman 850s.

That was one heck of a load, and was a scary pull.  Gladly it was only 30 miles.  I was suffering bad for power and brakes.

This isn't my only option.  I'm looking into the Toyota Tacomas as well, and a few other options.   We will see how it plays out. 

#19 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 10:37 AM

This isn't my only option.  I'm looking into the Toyota Tacomas as well, and a few other options.   We will see how it plays out. 

Looking around costs you nothing and could save you thousands. Think your doing the right thing. It's the "got to have it now" that cost you dearly and every salesman is looking for someone with that affliction. 

At my age the shopping is almost more fun than buying.  :smilewink: 

• Alc, pigsitter, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#20 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 10:44 AM

Looking around costs you nothing and could save you thousands. Think your doing the right thing. It's the "got to have it now" that cost you dearly and every salesman is looking for someone with that affliction. 

At my age the shopping is almost more fun than buying.  :smilewink: 

I honestly really like Dodge Trucks.  But I really don't need another "Full size" truck, a mid sized Tacoma would actually be a better choice, but they are starting out at 33 grand, and I haven't talked to them too much about trade in and price.

#21 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 10:54 AM

You could look at the Nissan Frontier too.  From what I've seen, they beat Toyota in their capabilities which actually surprised me.  I like the Tacoma and that's probably what I would go for if I could move to a smaller truck but I would have to look at the Nissan really close first.

#22 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 11:26 AM

When me and my Dad came up to pick up that PK deck off you, that little Ranger is my favorite truck.  I love that thing to death!  But its 2 wheel drive, and not much room for kids or really even 2 full sized adults.  But it is an awesome little work truck/parts getter.  25mpg, and it is a BLAST to drive for some reason.

I'd like something that size with 4 doors.  Why did Ford kill the Ranger?!!  I don't like Chevy's offering off the Colorado--Strike that.  The 2015s that will be coming out in the fall look amazing...!!

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 15, 2014 - 11:27 AM.

#23 JohnWR OFFLINE  

JohnWR
  • Member No: 34556
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 06:31 PM

I honestly really like Dodge Trucks.  But I really don't need another "Full size" truck, a mid sized Tacoma would actually be a better choice, but they are starting out at 33 grand, and I haven't talked to them too much about trade in and price.

Good luck on that one I work for Toyota and my dealer discount is 0 on them even used is nothing but i get a reduced rate on everything else though a while back if we bought a tundra they were giving employes a free scion IQ to get rid of them lol. But seriously tacoma's are bullet proof i see them 200K+ all day long people here beat them worse then a full size trucks.

#24 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 06:44 PM

I'd like something that size with 4 doors.  Why did Ford kill the Ranger?!! 

The wife and I kind of felt the same way when we were looking. Ended up with a 2010 Ford Sport Trac. Works for us but your needs may be different. My gopher truck is a 1997 F-150, V-6, 5 spd manual and 2wd. For some reason I like driving that truck and seems to be the vehicle I'm always in. I wish the Sport Trac had a stick in it.

When we bought the Sport Trac they told us the reason that they were going to quit building it and the Ranger was because they were competing with each other. Also the price of a well furnished Ranger was almost the same as the F-150. Still hated to see it go. 

How about a Ranger with a Diesel and a manual transmission?  That sounds interesting to me. :thumbs:  

Edited by Cvans, January 17, 2014 - 05:03 PM.

• oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#25 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted January 16, 2014 - 08:48 AM

The wife and I kind of felt the same way when we were looking. Ended up with a 2010 Ford Sport Trac. Works for us but your needs may be different. My gopher truck is a 1997 F-150, V-6, 5 spd manual and 2wd. For some reason I like driving that truck and seems to be the vehicle I'm always in. I wish the Sport Trac had a stick in it.

When we bought the Sport Trac they told us the reason that they were going to quit building it and the Ranger was because they were completing with each other. Also the price of a well furnished Ranger was almost the same as the F-150. Still hated to see it go. 

How about a Ranger with a Diesel and a manual transmission?  That sounds interesting to me. :thumbs:  

On another Forum I post on there is a fella from South Africa.  His truck  An extend cab 4x4 4 cylinder manual diesel!!!!!!  I told him I wanted him to buy one pull the drivetrain and ship it to me!

I have owned a 91 ranger, a 97, a 99, a 2000 and a 2002.

My 2002 went 290k when it spun a rod bearing(my fault completely, it ran out of oil long story, I was working long long shifts, 7 days a week and just didn't take the time to take care of my vehicle)  It still looked like brand new and ran like a champ.  Only thing I did to that truck was put tires, brakes, and 2 sway bar links on it.

I am scratching the new truck.  I am going to go wait till winter is over, drive my Ranger to work till late fall then buy something new.  I need to bank some cash.  My wife has some bills left over I married into and we are going to pay those off, and that will make a vehicle payment.

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 16, 2014 - 08:49 AM.

#26 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted January 16, 2014 - 09:17 PM

Rather large change of plans here. I went over to another dealership tonight. The truck I wamted to look at was at there body shop.So he says we can ride down ther. He grabs a set of keys and we hop into a 2012 camary le. We ride about 15 minutes in the car and I start liking it. I test dove the truck and we get back in the car and I tell him id like to drive it back. What a blast, handles great and is just plain fun to drive. I ask him how much is there car on the lot for. 14000. 12k miles. Loaded up decent. Hmm....what would the payment be. Your truck and like 170 a month.

took the wife down to look at it she likes it. 25 to 35 mpg. Bells and whistles super comfortable. Im really considering it. It would be a huge cost saver in payment and gas needs. Plus its a toyota I bet it will still be running when little girl turns 16 lol.

going to drive it again tomorrow and see what I think. I still have my ranger so I can still haul stuff. Plus for 2 years that kind of stuff is on hold really
  • wvbuzzmaster, oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#27 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 01:51 AM

I like Camrys. I drove a 1992 one at work for a few work related errands and man it was fun to drive. It earned a company wide nickname of "the racecar" lol

#28 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 05:02 PM

I ended up with the camry. Not completely what I wanted but it's a good reliable car.

Averaged 39.9 on the way home! 70 PH cruise set.

I'll post some pictures. It's snowing now. I guess I get to try it out in the snow sooner than I thought. Seems good so far. I tried spinning it in the parking lot and it stuck

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 17, 2014 - 05:03 PM.

#29 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,865 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 05:05 PM

If it's just transportation you need, not hauling anything or driving the rough country, what you're looking at now makes sense. Many more miles to the gallon, and as you said, you still have your Ranger. Just seems reasonable to me, and you save on gas money and still satisfy the " new car urge" lol.

#30 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 05:05 PM

20140117_141157.jpg

Photo evidence of mileage lol