31 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 10:20 AM

I went out last night after work to get some stuff at the local walmart.  Next to the Walmart is a large Dodge dealership which was still open at 7PM.  I decided to swing in and look at all the pretty new trucks.  I love a Dodge truck, and my old 2004 is pretty wore out though.  Its had a tough life.  Towed a lot of stuff it shouldn't, hauled stuff it shouldn't, and been beat through some off road stuff pretty hard.

They have a row of left over 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cabs.  Spy a white one, sticker on its 38,000 I chuckle and walk away.  As I'm walking back to my truck I get ambushed by a salesman.  Asked me if I was interested in anything, and I said, nah, not willing to drop nearly 40 grand on a new Ram 1500.  he said those 13s over there?  You don't have to drop 40 to get one, those are left over 13s and have huge rebates and we want them off the lot.  Ok, get the keys to that white one, I want to try it out.  Turns out its a V6 with an 8 speed.  I was a little bummed.  He pulled a salesman on me, turns out it has more HP and torque than my 4.7.  At this point I wanted to drive something, so we hop in it and take it for a spin.  Darn thing runs pretty good!  It's 1 second slower zero to 60 than the 4.7, but there is hardly any noticeable power loss!  Runs darn good, and the average after my 20 mile test drive showed 20.2mpg! 

We go in spit out numbers, he offers me 7,500 for my truck(I can not believe this there has to be some dealer magic there if you seen my truck you wouldn't believe it either) 5,000 in rebates.   That leaves me getting a loan for 25,000.  Seems like a pretty good deal considering brand new truck.  I dicker a bit more, after sales tax, and all the bogus fees it comes out to 24,997.29.

Waiting on the bank to get back to me with payments.  I am not entirely sold I want it.  I'd love a new truck, but I've been payment free on a vehicle since I paid my 2004 Ram off in 2010.  Its nice not having to write a check every month for your car.  But I am going to eventually have to bite the bullet as its up there in miles and needs work now.

Either sharing this because if anyone is out there looking for a new truck, and doesn't do a lot of heavy hauling these left over 2013 Ram 1500 crew cab 4x4s are all over, and they are selling them cheap.  I've called several dealerships and they are blowing them out.

20140113_174021.jpg

20140113_174907.jpg

• Alc, hamman, sacsr and 5 others have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 10:35 AM

Here lately I've started to develop the new truck syndrome, but the thought of a payment again puts a nix to the idea.  No way I'll go on a dealers lot, I'd loose the battle. :rolling:

Try pitting the dealers against one another and you may get more off.

• hamman, oldedeeres, JRJ and 2 others have said thanks

#3 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 10:49 AM

Exactly my problem.  I do not want ANOTHER payment.  Since taking this new job my wife has quit her job.  So that leaves me paying her car payment.  She took care of her stuff with her money, and I pay for everything else.

New truck syndrome is a pain the butt.  I developed it when I bought my 04 Ram in 2008.  I made out in that deal!  Truck was on the lot for 20,000 dollars.  I had a 2007 Cobalt that was nearly brand new.  I had no payment on it.  Me and my Dad were out goofing around as we usually do and we stopped at a car lot because he wanted to look at this older mustang convertible sitting outside.  Well, I walk around looking at the trucks, and talk to the salesman.  He wants the Ram off his lot, gas guzzler, been sitting there for 6 months.  People want fuel efficient cars. 

Well hey I have a 2007 Cobalt 2 door 5 speed with a clear title what can you do?  He walks over looks at my car, and says your Car and 6,000 dollars.  I had only paid 9,995 for the Cobalt brand new after rebates.  Well, I went to the bank, got a loan for 6,000 for 24 months, and went back and paid the man. 

And thats the story of how I got my 04 Ram.

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 14, 2014 - 10:55 AM.

• hamman, JDBrian, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 11:24 AM

It's a big decision but now is a good time to buy. Most folks are not looking for cars right now and are paying off christmas bills.  Even 25K is a lot of money but a new truck is nice. Easier on fuel and a warranty that will make your maintenance costs predictable.

• oldedeeres, JRJ and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#5 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 12:51 PM

I'm averaging 13.1 MPG right now.  Even it increases to 18.  I average 15,000 miles a year usually.  That would save me 1000 bucks a year in fuel cost.

Almost 3 months worth of payments.  Now if I could kick my smoking habit that would save me another 1600 a year...I would only need another 2800 to make the truck payments!

• oldedeeres and JRJ have said thanks

#6 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 04:31 PM

We both need new vehicles. Since I do all my own work on them we usually drive them until they need towed to the junk yard. My 1992 B250 Dodge work van has cost me so far about $9.00 a month because I have kept it so long. It still runs good but is looking pretty bad. My wife's 1999 Grand Cherokee has about 218000. on it but she is still happy. Our last car payment was back in 2004 just can't do the car payment thing yet. My son has a 2002 Dodge Quad Crew 1500 & loves it. His problem is the rust around the rear wheel wells. I think 25 grand for a new truck is a good deal especially the trade in price their giving you.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#7 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 04:33 PM

I feel for your son with the rusty wheel wells.  I put fender flares over mine to hide it after cutting all the rust out.

• Sawdust said thank you

#8 EricR OFFLINE  

EricR
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9495
  • 393 Thanks
  • 278 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 07:07 PM

Sounds like a bunch of us are looking at trucks, I'll let you know in a few weeks,lol.

#9 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 10:17 PM

I'm almost ready to just sign the darn papers and take it home.

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 11:23 PM

I have a pretty decent 04 Ford F150 that is paid for, and the next think I would buy that would require payments... Will probably be a Compact tractor! Lol

#11 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 01:04 AM

Man.. I can go to the wreckers for parts for my 80 gmc a LOT of times for that price  :smilewink:  :poke:  Found a factory radio for 8 bucks and a cab light for 3.. 

Seriously if ya need wheels.. sometimes ya gotta bite the bullit..  I've done that many times.. BUT the depriciation when you roll off a lot i will let someone else pay from now on and buy used.. Or just keep tossing the odd part at my 80.. 

• Gtractor, pigsitter and oldedeeres have said thanks

#12 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 01:51 AM

I feel for your son with the rusty wheel wells.  I put fender flares over mine to hide it after cutting all the rust out.

That's what he is wanting to do with the Bushwackers. I found out Dodge experimented with a foam material in between the bed panels between 2002 & 2005....it didn't work. The stuff soaked up water like a sponge & held it there for months causing the rust. I was advised to replace the bed with a 2006 or newer. I heard a story of a guy with a brand new 2002 just six months old had an accident. The body shop called him to come down & look at his bed. They had cut into it to make repairs & found the entire bed on the inside was solid rust. Owners of these trucks are trying to unite to force a class action law suit against Dodge. By the time this happens these trucks will be completely gone. 

Edited by Sawdust, January 15, 2014 - 01:52 AM.

• Gtractor and oldedeeres have said thanks

#13 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 443 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 01:52 AM

Some new Dodges at Work.  2500 gas and diesels and 5500 diesels.  Certainly are a nice ride and the gas 2500 seem to get decent fuel economy.  Seem to be holding up so far.  Payments are a downer.  On the plus side there is warranty.   Not much beets the smell of new vehicle.  :smilewink:

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 04:59 AM

My parents trade in every few years. They always go to several dealers with a sheet with what they want and take bids.
There are HUGE differences between the dealers money wise. It's often the smaller dealer that will do you a better job.
  • HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#15 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 07:51 AM

That's what he is wanting to do with the Bushwackers. I found out Dodge experimented with a foam material in between the bed panels between 2002 & 2005....it didn't work. The stuff soaked up water like a sponge & held it there for months causing the rust. I was advised to replace the bed with a 2006 or newer. I heard a story of a guy with a brand new 2002 just six months old had an accident. The body shop called him to come down & look at his bed. They had cut into it to make repairs & found the entire bed on the inside was solid rust. Owners of these trucks are trying to unite to force a class action law suit against Dodge. By the time this happens these trucks will be completely gone. 

It isn't worth crying over on a 2004 Truck.  The 6 month old truck I'd be livid.  But Dodge has a rust warranty if you are the original owner. 

If he puts the flairs on make sure he gets rid of the rust, or it will just work its way up above the flares eventually.  I took a sawzall and cut it out, I caught it when there was very little there.  It did make my bed sides weaker, as I took the curl out for the fender well, but I'd rather that than rust.

• oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks