#1 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 08:47 AM

Ok, starting to see if i can track down some parts to replace the modifications done to the Squire 9.

Looking though the manuals i see the hood was originally held down by four curled bolts with washer and conical springs on the inside.

Read that this set up was always a pain and shook loose over time but i would like originality.

Found a few sites that speak of this and were to buy the curled nuts but as for the spring and conical washer i am a little lost, there is only one and washer on the hood i can remove and use for reference.

As you see in the photos the light bar is homemade angle iron, would like to replace it with the right one for 1963/64, see there is two kinds, the early and late. I am assuming the Squire took the early ? manual does not show the bar or lights.

The M/W decal and holder that mounted to the grill is gone, would assume this to be the hardest part to find but i can wait and watch for this later.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 09:21 AM

Congrats on getting it. Post some pics to see what you are talking about. What make is it? I expect Simplicity but I want to be sure. If it is Simplicity, have you checked out www.simpletractors.com ? Good Luck, Rick
  • trowel said thank you

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 09:36 AM

Thank Rick,

The link for the thread is below :

http://gardentractor...y-m-w-squire-9/

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 01:29 PM

With the plow, the current hood latches and headlight bracket. Take note if you would the single hole in the hood with the green tape covering it, is the hole original for a attachment or is it a hole the owner drilled ?

As for the missing grill decal/emblem though missing, apparently the Squires never had one.

http://www.google.co...nHjtrnWpT-hfa9Q

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0528.JPG
  • DSCF0529.JPG
  • DSCF0530.JPG
  • DSCF0531.JPG
  • DSCF0532.JPG
  • DSCF0534.JPG
  • DSCF0535.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,060 Thanks
  • 2,175 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 01:31 PM

Hey there!  I missed the homecoming for the Squire!  I'll have to go peek.  The headlight bar runs $25-40 on ebay...there are knockoff's now, as they are fairly easy to make to OEM spec.   They used to fetch quite a bit more, before a couple guys started reproducing them.

The hood bolts are another story.  If you found a source for those knurled bolts, it's a miracle.  There are 'similar' bolts out there, but nothing with the 'T' handle through them that I have seen.  Some folks have made their own look-alikes, but the 'Correct Police' will nab ya, if such things matter to you.  =]  A complete wet will easily run over $100 on ebay...individual bolts without the spring or backer can get over $20 each.

I know of one fella who farmed out a big batch of reproductions to the OEM spec.  They were made of stainless, and I think he was getting around $50-60/set.  I'll shoot him a text, and see if he sold through all of them.  

Here's a picture of his:

20128120713_photo.JPG

201281201957_photo.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse, IamSherwood, trowel and 1 other said thanks

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 01:54 PM

Thanks for that, 

The hood bolts, on my manual it only shows the regular curled head bolts with out the T handle Simple / AC used which i found similar ones with the step, i know, was not expecting that either. As for the conical springs and washers i am still a little lost.

I saw the headlight bars on fleabay, figured it best to ask if the squire being 1963 should take the early ones much like Simple 725 and AC B-1, not sure if a few things changed between 63 and 64.

• Talntedmrgreen and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,060 Thanks
  • 2,175 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 02:39 PM

The 725 and B1 did not use a headlight bar. Headlight kits for those included only one lamp. The 725 was center mounted and the B1 had a side mount.

Curious what the serial # on your Briggs is? Early Landlord, Broadmoor, B-10 and Squire tractors ('63's) did have the knurled bolts without a hole and cross handle through them, so that helps confirm your machine is an early one. Those bolts will be even more scarce. My Squire 9 had the T handles and I cant recall the serial #/date off the top of my head. When I restored her, I bit the bullet and used a batch of NOS T handle hoodbolts I had hoarded.

Let me look...I know there is a source for the conical springs, but most folks make the oblong washer.
  • trowel and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,060 Thanks
  • 2,175 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 02:42 PM

I'm unsure of the dimesions...I'll have to measure.

http://www.mcmaster....springs/=q910ht

Edited by Talntedmrgreen, January 14, 2014 - 02:43 PM.

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 02:54 PM

Serial is SIM-990309.

The exploded view of the hood group and lithograph of the tractor on the cover shows the hood bolts. The curled head bolt i found is also from McMaster Carr, found on the Simple AC website.

So this tractor must never of came with the headlight bar, would explain the homemade set up, but there is a hole drilled on the right front side of the hood, thinking that is for a single headlight as you explained for the B-1, above are the photos of the tapped off hole.

Many thanks on the spring link, can use the remanding original that is attached to the hood for comparison.

Running to Greenfield now, will be back soon.

#10 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,060 Thanks
  • 2,175 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 03:17 PM

Serial is SIM-990309.

The exploded view of the hood group and lithograph of the tractor on the cover shows the hood bolts. The curled head bolt i found is also from McMaster Carr, found on the Simple AC website.

So this tractor must never of came with the headlight bar, would explain the homemade set up, but there is a hole drilled on the right front side of the hood, thinking that is for a single headlight as you explained for the B-1, above are the photos of the tapped off hole.

Many thanks on the spring link, can use the remanding original that is attached to the hood for comparison.

Running to Greenfield now, will be back soon.

'SIM-990309' is the tractor model #.  The Briggs's serial number should be on a plate, on the front upper portion of the engine.  It should be a model 23D.

Here is a picture of the front hoodbolt mounting...give you an idea how they go together:

20120923_131839_zps4742dca1.jpg

In this pic, you can see where/how the roundhood tractor headlight bar mounts.  There are special spacers (you can easily make these) that drop it low enough to clear the hood...I cannot seem to find a better one in my files at the moment:

20120923_102119_zps6754f445.jpg

The light mounting kit for a B-1 included a mounting bracket, which mounted to the hood hinge, as shown below. 

b1light.png

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 04:17 PM

I was going to try the conical springs that work with the t nut on the u shaped channel for electrical panels. It seems lighter but may work. Good Luck, Rick

• trowel said thank you

#12 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,060 Thanks
  • 2,175 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 04:31 PM

The thing I have found with light replacement springs is that they twist and break. 9/10 of the ones I habe on tractors are originals, and they do last.

#13 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 01:41 PM

Many thanks for that,

I have run into a problem, can not find the serial no for the 23D, usually it is just under the carb on the shroud, cleaned and looked, not there ???? am i missing something ?, on the 19D it is on the cylinder cooling cover, on the 24D it is just under the carb on the shroud.

I know that sometimes the stamping is so light it is hard to see but asking just in case seeing as this is my first Simplicity.

After a drive up and down the driveway today the left inner bearing and seal popped out and spat out the guts, limped home and is ordering new inner and outer bearings, seal and races.

Edited by trowel, January 15, 2014 - 02:34 PM.

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#14 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 02:32 PM

Checked the top of the shroud were it is stamped for the model 23 and nothing ?, checked the side of the shroud under were the fuel tank would be on a 24 nothing ? under/behind the carb and nothing ? am i looking at a unstamped engine ?

Never ran into this problem before.

Edited by trowel, January 15, 2014 - 02:33 PM.

#15 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 09:40 PM

Talentedmrgreen just told me were the tag was to be, missing on mines.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: simplicity