4 replies to this topic

#1 77ddt OFFLINE  

77ddt
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 25507
  • 32 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 13, 2014 - 10:44 PM

An ad for a 2-wheeled tractor had been teasing my curiosity for a week or so now, and finally got a chance today to go take a look at it.  

The seller was a widow who didn't know much about the tractor other than her husband bought it around 1960 and used it in their garden every year up until about 3 years ago when he got too weak to do the pull-start. It had a 5HP briggs with it that was older, but I am pretty sure wasn't the original motor.  The plow was mounted on it, and she also had a sickle mower, cultivator and a snow plow that might have been homemade, and concrete wheel weights that were obviously homemade.  I'm a noobie on these, but $100 for the lot seemed like a fair deal.  

Unfortunately, it didn't run, and it didn't push very well either.  I'm not so sure I could have pushed it out of the barn by myself, let alone up some ramps into my truck.  It was dark in the barn to get a very good look at it, and even if I had I didn't really know enough about it to know what might be missing or broken.  It seemed like a neat and probably pretty old tractor, but I wasn't sure when I could get back there with a trailer and some help, nor do I really need another project right now.  She said she had someone else that wanted it if I didn't take it, so I decided to let them have it.  Hopefully it is someone that will appreciate it.  

So after seeing it in person, I'm even more curious on what it is.  I have only been able to find photos of one other tractor like it, and that one is a really old Wards Plow Trac.  I wondered if anybody else could confirm that is what it is, and what year it might be?  It was green, but I'm not sure that was the original color. It had the belt drive on the RH side, which seems to be pretty unique.  

Thanks,

Dave

IMG_0400.JPG

IMG_0401.JPG

IMG_0402.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

IMG_0405.JPG

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,611 Thanks
  • 3,911 posts

Posted January 13, 2014 - 11:01 PM

prewar Simplicity

http://www.simplicit...icity/1943.html

Edited by Gtractor, January 14, 2014 - 03:27 AM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 01:32 AM

untitled cry1.png

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 06:53 AM

I think I would find a strong buddy ( or two lol )  and go back and buy it lol

#5 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 08:11 AM

That's a rare bird, there.  You don't see many of those older models...it's the only one I have seen that does not have the Simplicity quick hitch and LH drive, but I believe Kris may be right.  It looks like either a Simplicity model B or C, or a Wards equivilent that Simplicity built.  Very cool.