15 replies to this topic

#1 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted December 30, 2010 - 08:58 AM

I had sometime to get everything setup this morning to fill my tires. I setup up a 55 gallond drum on a drum stand. I had 1/4 of the drum filled with 70/30 enviromentally safe glycol. I broke the bead down on the valve steem side of my wheels. I ran a piece of clear hose from the barrel spicket right into the tire through the bead. Then you just let the tires fill. The tires wieghed @ 35lbs each before the fill:mecry:. The fill made a huge difference!!! They now wiegh @ 107lbs each.:dancingbanana::dancingbanana::dancingbanana:. I still haft to add my fmc cast iron wheel wieghts. Does anyone know how much the fmc cast wieghts wiegh? I cant wait to try the tractor out in our next snow!!

#2 awol OFFLINE  

awol

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1576
  • 77 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted December 30, 2010 - 09:49 AM

Does anyone know how much the fmc cast wieghts wiegh? I cant wait to try the tractor out in our next snow!!

Nice to here you got the tires filled and hope it dose the trick, my FMC weights are 50Lbs each I think thats standard.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted December 30, 2010 - 09:50 AM

Nice to here you got the tires filled and hope it dose the trick, my FMC weights are 50Lbs each I think thats standard.

Yep, they're 50lbs per.

#4 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted December 30, 2010 - 11:52 AM

wow, i must be strong, they dont feel like 50lbs each. I will haft to wiegh them latter.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted December 30, 2010 - 12:31 PM

If they are the ones that reach all the way to the rim bolt area out to even with rim edge, then they do weigh 50lb per. I just picked up some methanol yesterday to fluid fill my new 26x12x12 Tru-Powers. 1 part methanol to 4 parts water. I also add 1/2 gallon antifreeze to each tire for the corrosion inhibitors. Not sure when I'll get time to mount the tires though....pretty busy lately.

#6 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted December 30, 2010 - 12:56 PM

yea I cant wait to get home and put the tractor back together. I bet its gonna be a tank in the snow. 157lbs per tire and with the aggressive tread of the gbc lumberjack, I shouldnt have traction issues anymore!!!

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 30, 2010 - 01:52 PM

I had sometime to get everything setup this morning to fill my tires. I setup up a 55 gallond drum on a drum stand. I had 1/4 of the drum filled with 70/30 enviromentally safe glycol. I broke the bead down on the valve steem side of my wheels. I ran a piece of clear hose from the barrel spicket right into the tire through the bead. Then you just let the tires fill. The tires wieghed @ 35lbs each before the fill:mecry:. The fill made a huge difference!!! They now wiegh @ 107lbs each.:dancingbanana::dancingbanana::dancingbanana:. I still haft to add my fmc cast iron wheel wieghts. Does anyone know how much the fmc cast wieghts wiegh? I cant wait to try the tractor out in our next snow!!

Fonz,

I know you already know this, but you only want to fill your tires 3/4 with fluid. I have found that you won't have a problem when you add air to your tires if you leave this room. I have ruined air gages by allowing fluid to get in them from an overfull tire.I hope this helps.

Brian

#8 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted December 30, 2010 - 02:19 PM

yea I filled them til right below the valve stem with them laying down flat, then when i added air i made sure the steems were at 12 oclock and there was no antifreeze coming out.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted December 30, 2010 - 02:39 PM

Glad to hear you got some serious weight out of them.
You do know that when you forget to turn the stems "UP" &
ruin your 1st gauge, you have to fess up. :laughingteeth:
(BTW ask me how many gauges I've junked with CaCl on the Big 'Uns
over the last 40 years?:wallbanging:)

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 30, 2010 - 04:58 PM

I ruined my first tire gauge the very first time I ever checked a filled tire. Lesson learned LOL!

#11 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted December 30, 2010 - 05:53 PM

Glad to hear you got your tires filled and as stated before the Bolens weights are 50# each

#12 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted December 30, 2010 - 07:52 PM

well it turned out to be a very productive day. I filled my tires, installed the tires and wheel wieghts. then i went to repair my broken pto shaft. I had that almost done til i found the pto belts were streched too far. So I proceed and try to replace them. Well in the process I found the 2 driveshaft belts were missing chunks from them. So i replaced those. So now I got loaded tires, new drive and pto belts and no snow! Oh well looks like next week I might get a chance to really test out the tires.

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted December 30, 2010 - 09:12 PM

Good there wasn't any snow yet. If there was, then you would likely have put the wheels/tires on, then headed out to the snow. Would have made for a disappointing day to have tossed the belts. I hope I can fill my new tires tomorrow!

#14 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted December 31, 2010 - 08:19 AM

Yea, were currently having a heat wave here. 50 today and 52 tomorow then the temps fall back to 30 with snow. So I told myself I better do it now when its warm before I end up doing the job in 10 degree wheather. Good luck with your new tires olcowhand! Post up some pics when your done!

#15 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted December 31, 2010 - 08:25 AM

With all that weight added you shouldn't have any problems with traction. If you really want to try it out in the snow I'll share some of my snow with you!