19 replies to this topic

#16 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 07:54 AM

A hydrostatic transmission consists of 3 basic parts, a variable displacement pump section, a center section, and a motor section. The center section may consist of a casting and be incorporated with the pump and motor sections, or it may consist of hoses to carry the fluid between the pump and motor sections which are at some remove from each other. The bold words are the difference between a hydrostatic drive and a hydraulic drive which has a fixed displacement pump and only moves the fluid in one direction requiring a directional control valve to change direction and the flow rate of the fluid going to the motor. A hydro offers better power and speed control. A hydraulic drive has different benefits.

You will note in the first diagram of this PDF for the Eaton 11 that the bearing on the output shaft is open faced to allow drainage into the final drive reservoir. It is not a stand alone hydro as used on GT's, but may be available in a configuration that will allow it to be used as a stand alone unit on some other piece of equipment.

On Page 3 of this PDF are diagrams of the 3 configurations of the Sundstrand Series 15 hydros. The split system, which will work for your project and which I noted other components earlier that will do the same in a closely related fashion, is represented in the top 2 diagrams. The inline version and the U version are both like the Eaton 11 in that the case drains through the bearing on the output shaft into the final drive reservoir and is not as easily accommodated for your purpose. I believe that both of these (the inline for sure) are also available in stand alone configurations, Finding one may be considerably harder than finding a flying pig. :wallbanging:

As coldone mentioned, the inline version can be found in the MF1655/1855 GT's, as well as the JD 400 and a few other brands.The U version can be found in several JD 2XX, 3XX, and 4XX GT's, as well as several other brands. The split system is used on some golf course maintenance and other equipment ,

Coldone, you got it. As long as the motor is reversible and has complementary specs with the variable displacement pump, it will work, just not quite as well as a piston motor. A cushion valve (cross line relief valve) is recommended to dampen sudden control movement and other pressure spikes.

• coldone, Alc, IamSherwood and 1 other said thanks

#17 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 05:29 PM

You know I had an MF 1655 for parts once, but sold it.  Never really looked at it that hard at time. Just used the 3pt and controls off it for my 1650. The rest of tractor the parts were  too big and didn't fit the 1650, so sold it as is for parts. Might have to look around again at the Spring swap-meets this year.  Had a Deere 317 rear once too, gave to my buddy. Was gonna put that whole rear in the PK, but was a lot lower w/out bullcases like PK and needed to be raised up frame made and then driveline alignment wasn't good, so didn't do that. I have MTD 990 Farm king, was thinking THAT rear and trans might work better and is up higher for shaft align. Might have to look at one of those again too.

#18 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 06:57 PM

You can use one of the hydros that drains the fluid to the sump in the transaxle. You would just have to fab up a sump that would enclose the output shaft side of the hydro and then plump the sump into the return/pickup fitting on the front side of the hydro. Your 990 should have this same type of tube from the lower fron of the transaxle to the front bottom side of the hydro. You would also need a shaft seal where the drive shaft enters the sump. It would be a simple shaft seal as that there would be no pressure on the fluid. It would need a pressure port to allow for the heat build up expanding the air in the sump.

I made a neat drawing but cant get it uploaded or pasted.

• Alc said thank you

#19 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 08:54 PM

Was looking at epay under gt transaxles and found some MTD ones and looks like Ford LGT 165's have about same. Most 250 or at least $100 and then you are missing levers, fittings and links off most of them. I think I would rather buy another whole or part of one that has most of drivetrain in it, to get all the stuff I want and hopefully cheaper. I've pd the amounts above for whole tractors needing some tlc. I'm not sure I wanna tear down my MTD into parts for experimenting and lose THAT tractor if didn't work out.

#20 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 08:42 PM

Was looking at epay under gt transaxles and found some MTD ones and looks like Ford LGT 165's have about same. Most 250 or at least $100 and then you are missing levers, fittings and links off most of them.

AFAIK, All of the early (till 78) Ford/Jacobsen/Oliver/Moline garden tractors 14hp and up used an Eaton 10/Peerless setup. The 19.5 hp units may be different