• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Justin2655 OFFLINE  

Justin2655
  • Member No: 11487
  • 204 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 08:48 PM

Here in a few weeks I am gonna buy a couple new front tires. But when I went to find tires because I'm just gonna buy new ones. They want 70 a peice for tri ribs, which was my origianl plan to buy. I also found ag tires instead and they are only 35 a peice. Has anyone experienced both tires? Is there any really difference between the two, as far as turning and what have ya. Thanks justin

#2 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 09:06 PM

Justin,

I find that when it comes to pushing snow, the best tire tread for the fronts are the ag tires, or bar tread tires. Must better steering traction:

394.JPG

If using the tractor just for mowing or plowing, and working with a softer ground surface, then I recommend the tri-rib tires:

227.JPG

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 12, 2014 - 09:11 PM.

• Alc, sacsr, trowel and 1 other said thanks

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 09:57 PM

Didn't say what tractor or size wanted.  Deestone is a foreign brand, but still pretty good that I have had. www.greaterclevelandtractor.com is good source.  Carlisle is about only US brand anymore on small tires.

They would be good too, but more money. I prefer the look of the bar tires (3 bars) so mine look more like

big tractors when you have ags on back.  For Use, not really sure, I don't work mine much.

#4 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 10:00 PM

Justin,

I find that when it comes to pushing snow, the best tire tread for the fronts are the ag tires, or bar tread tires. Must better steering traction:

attachicon.gif394.JPG

If using the tractor just for mowing or plowing, and working with a softer ground surface, then I recommend the tri-rib tires:

attachicon.gif227.JPG

My thoughts exactly...I have both types mounted, and both provide better traction for steering in loose or snowy conditions. 

AG's work best when reversed though (folks just like the appearance of them to match their rear AG's).  They bite much better that way, since they are being used on non-powered wheels.  For drive wheels, the orientation of AG's are such that the 'V' points forward when looking at the top of the tire, but for non-drive wheels, reversed is far better.  They will destroy turf though...literally chew it up and spit it out.  My front AG's go on a shelf when the snow melts. 

Triribs can tear turf as well, but only when moving through a turn pretty rapidly, and they work fantastic in the garden.

If I were to buy only one type, and never swap them out, I'd go with triribs.

• trowel said thank you

#5 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted January 13, 2014 - 01:16 AM

I get my tires from Miller Tire. Tri Ribs on the dual stick and v-61 on my 782, both work well year round, and the tri ribs  feel like you have powers steering. Never chewed up any lawn with them.

The v bar tires look out of place on a GT that is only two wheel drive, and if your bound and determined you need them, then mount them backwards so you get the benefits of them, other than looks.

• trowel and Talntedmrgreen have said thanks