UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,761 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 01:08 PM

I have hung miles of drywall but never once have I been the one to finish it. That was usually my dads end of the deal.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#32 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 01:40 PM

I hate the mesh or any self adhesive tapes. I have never had any luck with those things. I never liked a corner trowel.

Best advice here. Don't worry about speed. Speed comes with years of practice.

Take your time and experiment. It sands down if you screw it up. Those foam sand blocks are great and get yourself a dry we screen sander on a pole.

You sound like a guy that knows his stuff, mesh tape is for repairs and guys that don't know how to use paper tape, I don't like it either, it doesn't do well in corners and I don't think it's as strong, seen it break quite often

Edited by OkieGt, January 12, 2014 - 01:50 PM.

• johndeereelfman and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#33 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 01:48 PM

You sound like a guy that knows his stuff, mesh tape is for repairs and guys that don't know how to use paper tape, I don't like it either, it doesn't do well in corners and I don't think it's as strong, seen it break quite ofter

I am by no means a professional but I have finished a lot of dry wall projects. It's tough to learn.

Don't take short cuts or use cheater methods. Take your time and sand sand sand.

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 12, 2014 - 01:50 PM.

• johndeereelfman, oldedeeres and OkieGt have said thanks

#34 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 01:54 PM

You cant get good square and tight corners from mesh, it cant be folded like paper tape, if you knife it square you cut it, or weaken it, making it likely to break. Finishing drywall is like playing a violin, it takes a light and experienced touch,   

• johndeereelfman, oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#35 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 01:57 PM

You cant get good square and tight corners from mesh, it cant be folded like paper tape, if you knife it square you cut it, or weaken it, making it likely to break. Finishing drywall is like playing a violin, it takes a light and experienced touch,

I agree. I love working with drywall you in no way have to be exact. A good layer of mud in a corner with a tight creased tape and I tools perfect.

I've just always found the more you fight it the harder it gets. Take a light touch and you just have to wait for it to dry to fix it
  • johndeereelfman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#36 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 04:22 PM

join the crowd/ I cant mud and tape drywall worth anything either... if I have to rob a bank the next time I have to tape drywall I will come up with the $ to pay someone.

that said what's with mesh tape being illegal? that's a new one on me

Edited by dodge trucker, January 12, 2014 - 04:25 PM.

#37 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 04:25 PM

I am by no means a professional but I have finished a lot of dry wall projects. It's tough to learn.

Don't take short cuts or use cheater methods. Take your time and sand sand sand.

that's just it, I have seen others do it and the sanding required was absolutely minimal.... I mud drywall and wind up with more mud in the air and on the ground as "sanding dust" than is left on the walls to do its job.... apply mud... let dry... sand to oblivion... apply more mud to fill in low spots.... sand.... repeat

• johndeereelfman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#38 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 05:25 PM

that's just it, I have seen others do it and the sanding required was absolutely minimal.... I mud drywall and wind up with more mud in the air and on the ground as "sanding dust" than is left on the walls to do its job.... apply mud... let dry... sand to oblivion... apply more mud to fill in low spots.... sand.... repeat

My grandfather could do an entire room in one coat in the time it takes me to do one area. After his 3 coats it took him maybe 2 minutes worth of sanding on the nature room where I spend an hour smoothing out and feathering transitions
  • johndeereelfman, oldedeeres and OkieGt have said thanks

#39 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 05:40 PM

Just a note on inside corners. After the first ap with corner trowel I just use flat trowel on the ONE side of the corners. Let them dry and next day or later in day do the other side. What I do in rooms is one side of each corner first and then the opposite sides later. Can even sand the first side done a little first, then go to second sides.  If you don't prime the paint will just keep sinking in and look spotty, soaked in  here, not here, shiny here, not there. Don't skip a primer. Have no idea what pva means.

#40 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 05:41 PM

that said what's with mesh tape being illegal? that's a new one on me

It is a code violation to use mesh tape on an exterior or a garage wall due to the mesh not forming an airtight barrier, but rather relying on the mud to do that. Fire code violation, that is. I think a fire can go through a mesh-taped wall .6773815 seconds faster.

I don't understand it, either.

#41 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 05:45 PM

Have no idea what pva means.

pACE-960007dt.jpg

• johndeereelfman and OkieGt have said thanks

#42 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 06:20 PM

Just a note on inside corners. After the first ap with corner trowel I just use flat trowel on the ONE side of the corners. Let them dry and next day or later in day do the other side. What I do in rooms is one side of each corner first and then the opposite sides later. Can even sand the first side done a little first, then go to second sides. If you don't prime the paint will just keep sinking in and look spotty, soaked in here, not here, shiny here, not there. Don't skip a primer. Have no idea what pva means.

When first taping I do both sides. One then the other. When top coating them I do one let it dry and the next day do the other.

It usually takes me 5 days to do a whole room. Tape whole room. 2nd layer over a all but joints and 1 side of insider corners. Then 3rd layer on butt joints and 2nd layer on other side of inside corners. Then 2 more days to finish corners. I could do it faster but I spread out coats over 24 hours because of working and such you could easily do it all in 1 or 2 days if you were home all day

I think this is what I bought last time

Kilz pro x

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 12, 2014 - 06:22 PM.

#43 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 08:55 PM

My grandfather could do an entire room in one coat in the time it takes me to do one area. After his 3 coats it took him maybe 2 minutes worth of sanding on the nature room where I spend an hour smoothing out and feathering transitions

Your grandfather was a artisan, a skilled craftsman. it used to be that a guy learned framing, carpentry, auto mechanic, metal working, electrical and plumbing as part of being the man of the house, fewer and fewer young guys can even change their oil or a tire. Of all the skills out their, drywall finishing has to rate up there with spraying cabinets as good as a factory finish and being able to use a paint brush like it was a fine ball point pen, all three take years of practice, don't beat yourself up, check around finishing around here is a .25-.30 per sq,ft. of surface space. i wouldn't even do something very big, (more than one room) my time and sanity are worth more than that. Have you considered how hard this is or could be on others around you as well? lol

• oldedeeres said thank you

#44 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 08:56 PM

pACE-960007dt.jpg

It means I made a typo, lol

#45 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 08:57 PM

Well guys, sorry to report that I didn't get to do any finishing like I had said I would today. We got home from church, ate lunch, and I ended up falling asleep on the couch. I did however wake up in time to watch my Denver Broncos beat the San Diego Chargers! Who-hoo  :dancingbanana:

Thanks for all of the great advice and techniques. I will make sure to slow down and take my time at this. I'm a perfectionist according to my wife, but I guess I need to learn to overlook and accept the fact that this isn't going to be perfect. My wife has waited a long time for a new kitchen, and I just want it to be right. 

I did buy a corner trowel a couple of months ago, but for some reason I can't find it. It's probably in one of those places that I wouldn't forget where it is, and now that I need it, it is beyond me where I placed it. I'll most likely find it when the job is complete. 

As far as the rest of the questions or advice, I bought the blue bucket type compound, and I added a cup of water to it before mixing it up real good with my drill powered mud slinger mixing bit. The mud is smooth, and has almost no texture, so I think I'm good as far as that goes. I am using the paper joint tape, and not the self adhesive mesh tape. I too was under the impression that the mesh was primarily for touch up's and minor repairs. 

I will start into it again tomorrow evening, so I'll keep you posted as the results then. Thanks again guys, and I appreciate all of the help!  :thumbs:

• HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks