#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 09:38 PM

because I don't know squat about drywall finishing, and it sucks big time! Don't mind hanging drywall, but when it comes to finishing it, I might as well just dump the new bucket of drywall compound upside in the middle of the kitchen, and start throwing globs of it at the walls. Out on the construction field, I watch the finishers just put the stuff on, no drips, runs, or globs anywhere. Me? I have more on the floor or on my pants than I do where I want it.

Anybody have any tips to applying the compound without all of the mess? I tried goggling the method, and watching youtube videos, but then I go and try their techniques, and only get pi$$ed off even more! :mad2: At this rate, I'll end up using five 5 gallon buckets to finish a 12' x 10' room. I'm willing to bet Bob Villa or Red Green could do it better than me, and that's just sad!

Edited by MH81, January 12, 2014 - 12:48 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, hamman, sacsr and 5 others have said thanks

#2 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 09:42 PM

because I don't know squat about drywall finishing, and it sucks big time! Don't mind hanging drywall, but when it comes to finishing it, I might as well just dump the new bucket of drywall compound upside in the middle of the kitchen, and start throwing globs of it at the walls. Out on the construction field, I watch the finishers just put the stuff on, no drips, runs, or globs anywhere. Me? I have more on the floor or on my pants than I do where I want it. 

Anybody have any tips to applying the compound without all of the mess? I tried goggling the method, and watching youtube videos, but then I go and try their techniques, and only get pi$$ off even more!  :mad2: At this rate, I'll end up using five 5 gallon buckets to finish a 12' x 10' room. I'm willing to bet Bob Villa or Red Green could do it better than me, and that's just sad!

I've done a bunch of drywall finishing, it is a tough learning curve, like using a paint brush properly. Practice, practice, and more practice. Skim it tight, shouldn't be any need to do more than a super light sand. Thin the product, (I know its falling off the knife already) Start with a 6 inch knife and try to get good with it before moving up to a 9-12 inch knife. Around here hanging and finishing drywall cost less than .50 cent a square foot, I wont do it for that, except at my own house

Edited by OkieGt, January 11, 2014 - 09:43 PM.

• hamman, johndeereelfman and JRJ have said thanks

#3 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 10:03 PM

Okie, I did add a little water, mixed it up real good, and I'm using a 4" knife. Most of my problem is, that I can't get it to stick to the knife! I soon believe I would still have trouble if this stuff was as thick as mashed potatoes. 

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 11, 2014 - 10:35 PM.

• hamman and JRJ have said thanks

#4 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 10:08 PM

Oh, and let's talk about getting a nice clean corner while we're at it. NOT!!!! I mud both walls where the corner comes together, lay on my tape, and go to smooth out the tape, and find air bubbles under it. So, I try to remove the air bubbles, only to squeeze too much mud out from under the tape, so now it won't stick. When I finally do get all of the air bubbles out, and the mud nice and smooth, I stand back and see that the corner is about as straight as a dogs hind leg! I'm ready to give up!!!!!!!!!

Why nobody ever invented a peel and stick type drywall tape is beyond me. Make it uniform to fit flat joints, inside corners, and outside corners. Where is the technology when we need it?

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 11, 2014 - 10:11 PM.

• hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,679 Thanks
  • 8,881 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 10:23 PM

Why nobody ever invented a peel and stick type drywall tape is beyond me. Make it uniform to fit flat joints, inside corners, and outside corners. Where is the technology when we need it?

Well, they have already:

2413_fiberglass_drywall_joint_tape.jpg

BTW, before you get real excited, google your state or local codes. Mesh tape is often illegal, especially on exterior walls.

• MH81, johndeereelfman, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,679 Thanks
  • 8,881 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 10:27 PM

Did you get a perfect paint job the first time you shot a piece off one of the JD's? It takes practice.

Toss the 4" putty knife, too small. Get a corner trowel and a hock, also.

221374_front200.jpgWalboard-Tools-47-002-HD-50-rw-209090-31

• KennyP, johndeereelfman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 10:30 PM

I've done a little drywall and I hate it too. First thing to do is throw your glasses away. Then get non shrinking mud. It costs more, but worth it.

It will be on the floor, ceiling, etc. put down a tarp and stop being so hard on yourself. I bet no drywaller could do a JD paint job like you do the first time out. Telling someone how to walk is not the same as them learning on their own.
You tend to be a pretty detailed oriented guy... Either stop being that guy for the first two passes or prepare to be very irritated.

Things to help:
Wet sanding makes less mess in the long run. Use natural sponges. Tarps mandatory for finished floors.
Get mud that doesn't shrink as much for the second and finish coats.
I always had better luck with a 12" trowel and a bigger corner trowel, but that would be the amateur in me.
Cat has the best tape out there. IMHO
  • johndeereelfman, oldedeeres and OkieGt have said thanks

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,679 Thanks
  • 8,881 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 10:33 PM

On corner joints, using a corner trowel, just get a nice bead that is 2" wide each way from the corner. Then cut a strip of your paper joint tape for the entire length. Now, run the whole length through a pail of warm water quickly. Start at the top, and press it into the corner. Then, using the corner trowel, press the tape in as you go down while aligning the tape with your other hand.

• johndeereelfman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#9 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 10:44 PM

I've done a little drywall and I hate it too. First thing to do is throw your glasses away. 

They were the first thing to go Alan, due to having mud all over them when I went to lay a bead of mud on one of my soffit corners. A big ole glob on the right lense ten minutes after I started spackling. 

#10 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 10:47 PM

I try all of your advice tomorrow. I already gave up for the night, but plan on trying again tomorrow. I'm just glad Kathy was at work today while this was all going on today. All I would have needed yet was for her to start laughing at me and my frustration. I know I would have started slinging mud at her!  :smilewink:

Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep you posted on how I make out tomorrow afternoon. 

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 11, 2014 - 10:48 PM.

• OkieGt said thank you

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 10:56 PM

I try all of your advice tomorrow. I already gave up for the night, but plan on trying again tomorrow. I'm just glad Kathy was at work today while this was all going on today. All I would have needed yet was for her to start laughing at me and my frustration. I know I would have started slinging mud at her!  :smilewink:

Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep you posted on how I make out tomorrow afternoon.

Big, deep breath buddy... Big deep breath. Oh, but breathe thru your nose if you're muddling overhead.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#12 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 11:40 PM

Troy, I like to use a dry wall mud pan and use a 10 or 21" Trowel.  Sometimes I use a little water but not very much because will do noting but make a big mess.  Most of the time I don't use anything but the mud.  Open the bucket and mix up the mud really well and then put some in the mud pan.  Then I will scoop some mud on to the trowel and then using the edge of the pan scrap about an 1/8 to 1/4 off the ends of the trowel back into the pan.  This should leave you with the center part with mud.  Now start at the start of the seam and run the mud along the seam in the indention.  When you have run mud all the way along the seam now take your tape and again start running it from the start of the seam. You will need to kind of hold the tape with trowel at the start (this is the hardest part) Using one hand to roll out the tape with the other hand drag the trowel behind it to embed the tape.  Use the trowel at the end to hold the tape in place and tear the tape to make a clean cut.  Next you want to go back over the tape with a coat of mud.  This takes a little practice but not hard.  Once again like before get the mud in your pan and you will do the as before but I usually will hold the trowel at a less of an angle then the first time I run the mud.

The corners are a bit harder.  If you don't have a trowel like Cat had in his post you can use a straight trowel but the corner one makes it much easier.  You follow the same procedures as above except when you run the tape.  You will need to unroll the tape or cut off the length you need and fold it in half  then embed it into the mud.  If there the mud has a few flaws don't worry about it.  You can fix it while sanding and another skim coat. Once you have the tape in place an skimmed let it dry.  when it is dry to a light

sand to blend it into the drywall.  Do not sand hard and not down to the tape. When the sanding id done you can go back and just skim coat it to make it look good.  Usually just a light coat and here is where you may want to had a little water to the mud but I would only add a few drops, not a lot.  You can keep doing this until you are happy with it.  Good Luck.

• johndeereelfman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#13 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 11:40 PM

I've done a little drywall and I hate it too. First thing to do is throw your glasses away. Then get non shrinking mud. It costs more, but worth it.

It will be on the floor, ceiling, etc. put down a tarp and stop being so hard on yourself. I bet no drywaller could do a JD paint job like you do the first time out. Telling someone how to walk is not the same as them learning on their own.
You tend to be a pretty detailed oriented guy... Either stop being that guy for the first two passes or prepare to be very irritated.

Things to help:
Wet sanding makes less mess in the long run. Use natural sponges. Tarps mandatory for finished floors.
Get mud that doesn't shrink as much for the second and finish coats.
I always had better luck with a 12" trowel and a bigger corner trowel, but that would be the amateur in me.
Cat has the best tape out there. IMHO

top notch advice!!!!

#14 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,508 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 11:59 PM

Did you try adding any dish soap and whipping it into a cream. I had tried that and it seemed to help a bit.

#15 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 12:03 AM

Did you try adding any dish soap and whipping it into a cream. I had tried that and it seemed to help a bit.

Whoa there bud, not a good idea to add dish soap or cream, except to the very last skim coat. It makes it very easy to sand but that deteriorates the glue within the mud. I've seen this done and the worst of the results aren't always apparent at first, but suffice it to say while it might help in doing a slick job it wont be a long holding job.