• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Justin2655 OFFLINE  

Justin2655
  • Member No: 11487
  • 204 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 05:26 PM

What loaders are the best for a garden tractor? And as I mean by that is which tractor holds up the best to a loader and how well do they lift? I really like the size of a 2414 powerking with a loader but wasn't to sure how they hold up or how much they lift. Or maybe another garden tractor would be better suited for a loader tractor. Justin

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 06:56 PM

A friend had a 2414 for 25 years until he died. I welded up the bucket and replaced the engine for him. It did alot of work around his house and at his local Grange. The loader pins had to be replaced and hoses occassionally needed replacing. Harry probably had over 5000 hours on that machine and he worked it hard. I thought it was a strong, well made machine. I did not like the steering. Only thing I consider better would be an AC 620 and that is sort of a compact tractor which is an entirely different catagory. Take your time and shop around. If you have alot of room a full size tractor from the 70s may give you a much better deal. Good Luck, Rick

• Justin2655 said thank you

#3 Justin2655 OFFLINE  

Justin2655
  • 204 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 07:28 PM

Was the steering hard with the loader? The front end hold up? Or when you have a load on the loader is it hard to control/steer? Something that will lift 400 or so. Move alittle dirt from time to time. Just something small and handy sometimes Thanks justin

Edited by Justin2655, January 11, 2014 - 07:33 PM.

#4 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 07:37 PM

The Bolens large frames seem to hold up pretty well.

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 07:48 PM

2400 series PK's are NOT reccommended for a loader, even tho they made them for them. Too tippy when lifted. These also have longer spindles with no support and they usually get bent. One I had did steer hard with loads of gravel. The actual dirt bucket on PK is small and has spikes for cutting the dirt, don't hold much. The bigger bucket that looks more normal is for loose dirt and no digging. That is what I had, and it Doesn't dig.  Then some designs has shallow depth and didn't tilt back much, so when you thought you had full load, half fell out when lifting. David Brown on here had a 16** series for years and worked it good.

Case made a 600 series tractor with loader that you couldn't take all the way off and was made as a working unit. You find them  for sale sometimes fairly cheap and should hold up well.

They make loaders for just about every GT now days, doesn't mean they can do real work!  Heck, rent a backhoe for a project and can return and not have to store it then.  You really rarely need the loader and is in way more times than is useful.

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 08:02 PM

No digging?  I always dug with mine and my brother dug out an area to extend his garage with his.  I even had a tooth bar made but hardly ever needed it.  As far as lifting, they are rated to lift around 600 pounds if you have enough weight on the back.  I know I've lifted more.  It's crazy what these things will lift.  Yes, the steering gets a little hard if you are in a tight spot.  It helps a lot if your tires are not going flat.  I don't know what the other garden tractor FELs can do but I've done some insane things with mine.  They are built strong.

#7 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 04:21 AM

The MF1655 makes a great loader tractor. I broke a spindle off the front axle on 3 occassions and it only took a couple of hours to weld them back on each time. They haven't given any trouble since the late '80's and I used it until 2006.

I used mine to excavate about 150 yards of material from my driveway without benefit of a tooth bar.

Bobinahole_zps3105ea86.jpg

This one has made 1000 lb lifts on several ocassions. It's a dedicated FEL platform and worked year round until the rims rusted out from the calcium. Hopefully I'll get it going this year with new rims.

• Alc said thank you

#8 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 09:33 AM

Good question, here's some more, how much do you need to lift, how much do you have to spend?  Running & working GT/FEL costs $2k-up most times.  Sometimes less if needs work or homemade.  Sometimes find an add-on loader for a grand, then you need a tractor.  Good deals don't last long, will need a good trailer ready to go, GT/FEL's are heavy.  Should have a 220 welder, torch, grinder & hydraulic shop nearby helps.

Lots of good tractor options.  Case 600(0)-series are factory-built loaders, older ones cost the same as other brands with add-on buckets.  Pros and cons to each.   Case has complex hydraulics but are factory built for loader work with good ground clearance.  Good dealer network and parts/advice still available.  Excellent weight box, power 3pt hitch to lift it on and off.  Other brands have simple drivelines but may need add-on pumps and maybe not as durable.  Rear weight and hitches can be hard to find or diy. Ground clearance can be limited with add-on subframes and hydro pumps.

Most Case loaders have Onan engines are expensive to fix and thirsty.  Most other brands of big GT also have a twin engine.  A Case 644 with Kohler single is nice but hard to find, also getting old.  I have one, can dump a full bucket over a 6' fence, pick up logs with rear 3pt and haul them out of the woods, pick up a 400-lb weight box and carry 600 lbs in the bucket, doesn't break stuff, doesn't guzzle fuel, stable on hills.  Although hoping the 40-year-old hydraulics don't puke at 2000+ psi.

Then there's the question of power steering, add more $ for that and harder to find.

Have fun with your search!

DSCN0456.JPG

#9 Justin2655 OFFLINE  

Justin2655
  • 204 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 09:53 AM

Good question, here's some more, how much do you need to lift, how much do you have to spend?  Running & working GT/FEL costs $2k-up most times.  Sometimes less if needs work or homemade.  Sometimes find an add-on loader for a grand, then you need a tractor.  Good deals don't last long, will need a good trailer ready to go, GT/FEL's are heavy.  Should have a 220 welder, torch, grinder & hydraulic shop nearby helps.

Lots of good tractor options.  Case 600(0)-series are factory-built loaders, older ones cost the same as other brands with add-on buckets.  Pros and cons to each.   Case has complex hydraulics but are factory built for loader work with good ground clearance.  Good dealer network and parts/advice still available.  Excellent weight box, power 3pt hitch to lift it on and off.  Other brands have simple drivelines but may need add-on pumps and maybe not as durable.  Rear weight and hitches can be hard to find or diy. Ground clearance can be limited with add-on subframes and hydro pumps.

Most Case loaders have Onan engines are expensive to fix and thirsty.  Most other brands of big GT also have a twin engine.  A Case 644 with Kohler single is nice but hard to find, also getting old.  I have one, can dump a full bucket over a 6' fence, pick up logs with rear 3pt and haul them out of the woods, pick up a 400-lb weight box and carry 600 lbs in the bucket, doesn't break stuff, doesn't guzzle fuel, stable on hills.  Although hoping the 40-year-old hydraulics don't puke at 2000+ psi.

Then there's the question of power steering, add more $ for that and harder to find.

Have fun with your search!

attachicon.gifDSCN0456.JPG

Arnt the case tractors that your talking about hard to find? I haven't seen any in my area before.

#10 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 10:48 AM

Generally speaking... most GT loaders are only built and 'rated' for lifting up to the 400-500lb range, do your own research on any loader you consider... and use it accordingly.

IMO.. dangerous toy and a waste of money.
  • WH55 said thank you

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 11:22 AM

Arnt the case tractors that your talking about hard to find? I haven't seen any in my area before.

http://dayton.craigs...4277961165.html

#12 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 12:32 PM

They made a lot of these tractors over the years and yes they're hard to find, especially in decent running shape at a reasonable price.  The one linked to above has been discussed online, the Case guys say it looks like a money pit.  As i said above onans are expensive to rebuild, like $2k, and Case tractors have extensive hydraulics with a lot of parts under high pressure that can wear out.

As for northeast Indiana they seem to come up pretty regular out that way, they were originally built in WI.  Just have to search the upper Midwest states on cl and elsewhere. 

As for them being dangerous toys, you have to be careful with any construction equipment.  Anything that can kill you while working isn't really a toy.  Big tractors tip over too, sometimes killing the operators, esp w/o Rops.  Of course some people say the same thing about riding mowers....

Also i didn't mean to promote the Case brand, it takes a lot of research in that department as they are pretty expensive and pretty old.  Just that i have one and so far it's been a good loader.  But a good hydrostatic garden tractor with a good loader has its advantages as well if that's what you need.  You could also buy a new Deere with a factory loader but they cost over $10k i think.  All depends on the individual and really comes down to what is available near you.