• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JDGREEN140 OFFLINE  

JDGREEN140
  • Member No: 30742
  • 38 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 03:43 PM

Well i finally hauled in my 1966 Mf10 today to get it out of the weather and finally begin to start the restoration. This tractor is equipped with the aluminum steering arm, aluminum dash & nose, It also has the red pto pedal unit aswell as the red jackshaft unit for running a rotary mower. This tractor also has the sticker serial number tag not the metal plate. This tractor is also equipped with a the electric generator, not bendix style starter.

I started a little slow today getting a majority of the tractor dissassembled. I removed the hood, grille, fenders, skirts, rear fender truck, seat assembly, parking brake plate, Removed the engine last year, electric generator, trans axle and such. This is my second Mf10 that I have restored, so learning from my past restoration its very important to take a lot of pictures, especially if its something that you are removing that you are not familar with. The previous Mf10 that I restored was a 1969, which I did a mild restore on basic paint job and drivetrain rebuild.

I plan on getting everything sandblasted & primed next week, and hopefully basecoat clear coat the following week. I have always used tractor supply sold majic paint but I have been very upset with the results and quality of the paint. I plan on using Sherwin Williams Automotive paint, I have always had great results with the paint and it has always gone on smoothly.

Any Suggestions on how to test the "wellness" of the electric starter? And in terms of cleaning it up, what should or can be done? Also the steering has a lot of play in it which I attribute to the steering box, are there rebuilt kits for these and if so where? Any help would be great and Thanks!

Here is a picture of my 1969 MF 10 Restored
image.jpg

And here of the beginning of my 1966 MF 10 restoration pictures....

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, johndeereelfman and 1 other said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 03:49 PM

I bet she's happy to be inside.
We rebearinged and cleaned up the starters on Ryan an KK' tractors last year. Worth the time. Let me see if I can find it.

BTW, what's the s/n on that unit.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 03:53 PM

Found it http://gardentractor...noise/?p=295834

The bearing numbers we used were here http://gardentractor...se/#entry295901
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#4 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 07:42 PM

Looks like your off to a good start.Keep us posted.

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 09:47 PM

Nice to see it indoors. Taking it all down is the best way to go. I'm doing a 1968 MF12H if you would like to peep at it http://gardentractor...ll be watching!

#6 JDGREEN140 OFFLINE  

JDGREEN140
  • 38 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 02:16 PM

Thank you very much very helpfull i plan on cracking open this case when I get back from work this week on friday. Anychance on what the belt size is that runs the generator off of the HH100 engine, Also my engine is complete with the exception of the flywheel and pulley that would be used to operate this electric motor would you have happen to know what size pulley diameter speaking and belt size it would take. Any help would be great thanks.

#7 JDGREEN140 OFFLINE  

JDGREEN140
  • 38 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 02:18 PM

Nice to see it indoors. Taking it all down is the best way to go. I'm doing a 1968 MF12H if you would like to peep at it <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://gardentractor...ll be watching!

I will  definetley take a look into that thread thanks any advice on my project would be awesome. I am still unsure on how to approach the steering, like i said the gear box I believe is going to have to be rebuilt/need new guts, because there is some play in the steering.

• Sawdust said thank you

#8 JDGREEN140 OFFLINE  

JDGREEN140
  • 38 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 01:47 PM

Does anyone have any recommendations for removing the steering wheel. I have already taken the nut off the steering wheel. On my previous MF10 restoration I used a three jaw puller however, I did slight damage to the steering shaft where the nut goes on. Any type of tool or leverage that I can use to remove the steering wheel. Any help would be appreciated. 

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 02:27 PM

Put the nut back on far enough that the shaft and nut are flush and then use the puller? Let me know of any magic formula... we are still waiting for the day when Ryan's comes off and we can start on his disassembly.

#10 JDGREEN140 OFFLINE  

JDGREEN140
  • 38 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 04:02 PM

Thanks MH81 I used you technique today and it worked great, got the steering wheel taken off. 

I also removed:

-Steering column 

-dash

-tower

-clutch & lift implement

-front axle & wheels

I am working on removing the variable speed brackets and pulley. I got most of the variable speed components removed however I am having difficulty taking the set screw off of the variable speed pulley. Hopefully I can use some heat tomorrow and lube and pull that sucker off. Will update tomorrow with pictures of progress. 

• MH81 said thank you

#11 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 04:45 PM

I am working on removing the variable speed brackets and pulley. I got most of the variable speed components removed however I am having difficulty taking the set screw off of the variable speed pulley. Hopefully I can use some heat tomorrow and lube and pull that sucker off. Will update tomorrow with pictures of progress. 

The screw that hols on the double pulleys is LEFT hand thread.

• MH81 and JDGREEN140 have said thanks

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 12:19 AM

I just saw the starter belt question. No, I don't remember the length, but a decent range of belts would work. Start with a gates 7320, I think that's close.

#13 JDGREEN140 OFFLINE  

JDGREEN140
  • 38 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 04:49 PM

How about the pulley for the engine side for the starter generator set up. That is the only component of the engine that i am missing. What size pulley goes on the flywheel that is suppose to run the electric generator/starter. 

#14 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 03:39 PM

They should be plentiful .Did you check w/site sponsors or ebay.Sears used them also.Any hh100,or hh120 that had the starter generator would work.

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 06:59 PM

Yeah, I agree. Check with the site sponsors, I'm sure one of them has a pulley.