• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted December 30, 2010 - 11:31 AM

Yep, waste oil heat is great! We have a Reznor waste oil heater in the shop, but not to the house. Ducky, your system sounds amazing! Now where would you be getting that much waste oil from? One of the perks working for a trucking outfit huh!:thumbs:

#17 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted December 30, 2010 - 01:41 PM

We collect it contsanly for all sort of places including Vegy oil.

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted December 30, 2010 - 04:06 PM

With just the shop using waste oil, what we change & the neighbors, we get all we need. We clean our furnace once a year & it's usually full of ash.

#19 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted December 31, 2010 - 08:17 AM

DougT are you doing anything special when you mix regular #2 oil with waste oil ? Like filtering before mixing or perheating ?

#20 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted January 01, 2011 - 10:10 PM

DougT are you doing anything special when you mix regular #2 oil with waste oil ? Like filtering before mixing or perheating ?

I am just starting to experiment with this. The first I put in was all trans fluid about 50% with the #2. It lit and burned great. The last I put in was just out of the drain barrel. It doesn't want to burn right and the nozzle was plugged up with carbon. It still didn't want to burn right after I cleaned it but I've found cleaning a nozzle is usually "iffy". I had a .85 nozzle in it and tried a 1.25 but it doesn't burn right either, seems too rich and hard igniting. I'm not sure that nozzle is real great. it came out of one of the foundry burners and they're subject to a lot of heat. I'm carrying fuel in 5 gal cans right now. I'm straining the oil through rags in the funnel when it goes in the can. I'm just guessing at the percent and trying to get it close. Fill the can the rest of the way with #2 and mix it on the ride home. My tank is in the basement and close to the furnace but I've wondered about the preheater option. I think the commercial units preheat the oil to 160 degrees. This could be my problem now or may at least help. I'll probably thin this with some straight #2 and see what it does. I'll pick up some new nozzles of varying volume and angle and do some experimenting. i'm not putting much in the tank at a time so it won't take much to drain and try again or go back to plain old #2. I don't figure its going to get any cheaper so I figure its worth a shot. If anybody has any ideas, I'm listening!

#21 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted January 01, 2011 - 10:47 PM

I was thinking a small oil tank (5gl) , mounted near the furnace with a mix of 50/50 mix of drain oil and #2, feed line into a "T" right before the burner. Would work like this , start of on #2, when the furnace warmed up , switch over to the 50/50 and when done for the night switch back to #2 to flush out lines and nozzle. Some of the diesel cars that run vegetable oil have set ups that switch back and forth like that.

#22 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted January 01, 2011 - 11:06 PM

Anyone ever built a "drip" furnace? I've thought about it a couple of times. I found an article online & it looks within my capabilities... just wondering if anyone else has ever done it.

The top of the page talks about ordering plans, if you scroll about 1/3 of the way down... there are free basic plans & pictures.
Waste oil furnace

#23 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted January 02, 2011 - 10:21 AM

ALC, your idea would work if it was a furnace that was going to run continuous but the house furnace doesn't work that way. Mine probably only runs 10-15 min at a time and then maybe not even once an hour. It's more likely to run at night and when I'm gone so I need something I can rely on to work on its own. I wonder if it could be rigged that the extra tank would have straight waste oil and T'd in with an orifice so the movement of the #2 would siphon the waste oil and mix it well enough at that point. Use an electric solenoid shutoff on the oil and a delay to open it back up. If you added a second t/stat you could even get it to shut down ahead of the burner to flush the nozzle. The downside is, your adding more things to go wrong! Some of the guys on the hobbycast groups that are using waste oil in hteir burners complain about having problems burning synthetic oils. I've never heard anyone with a factory waste oil burner having that problem which I would think would take us back to the preheater. I just haven't figured out a good way to do it yet.

As for the drip heater, there's one thing that scares me with that arrangement and that's catching fire back up the drip tube. I know a guy that burnt his garage down from rigging a drip tube up to his wood burner. I glanced through the directions but didn't see anything about that. The other thing I think you would need some way to clean out the burner. My first experience with burning waste oil was a factory burner that worked similar to the drip system but it had a low volume pump to pump the oil down the pipe and into the burner tray. The burner tray was basically just a cast iron pan. Every 8-10 hrs it had to be shut down and the tray taken out and cleaned. It was probaly 12-14 in dia and 1 1/2 high. If you ran the thing on max, it would get pretty full. It also has a draft blower. You put kero in the tray and lit it with paper then turned on the oil when it got warmed up. I used an old gravity fed kerosene burner and modified it with a fuel oil transfer pump to burn waste oil. It didn't have a removable tray and the tube was too low to add it without cutting the firebox. I rigged a tool to get in there to scrape and scoop it out. It worked OK but eventually it get too carboned up to use.

#24 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted January 02, 2011 - 10:50 AM

My furnace is for a garage , only heat it when I'm out there. For me it's the first start and run time that it's using most of the oil ,then after that it could go on just #2. Wouldn't save as much, it's a better idea you have about having a delay timer and solenoids. I wouldn't have to worry about manually switching valves back and forth.