#1 awol OFFLINE  

awol

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1576
  • 77 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 04:48 PM

Just wondering what the cost of heating oil is in your area, just filled up at $1.12 a liter:wallbanging: this might put me in the poor house if this keeps up.My tank is outside so I have to use stove oil but regular oil is only .01 less

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 05:32 PM

The news this morning said heating oil was around $3.44 a gallon here

#3 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 05:41 PM

Just checked and one of the major suppliers here in our area is at $3.00 a gallon right now cash price, and on the way up.
I'm afraid it is going to be an expensive winter if we want to stay warm.
P.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 05:51 PM

We just got oil the other week and I believe it was $2.73 a gallon. Probably the cheapest it will be all year. Thankfully we are putting in an outside wood burner for next year. Just didn't have the time or budget to get it done before this winter.

#5 awol OFFLINE  

awol

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1576
  • 77 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 06:01 PM

=powerking56;34606]Just checked and one of the major suppliers here in our area is at $3.00 a gallon right now cash price, and on the way up.
I'm afraid it is going to be an expensive winter if we want to stay warm.
P.

So i'm paying $4,23 a US gallon:wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging::bash::bash::bash:[God bless America:rocker2::yelclap::bounce::dancingbanana::worshippy2:

Edited by olcowhand, December 29, 2010 - 06:05 PM.
repaired the quote

#6 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 06:04 PM

George and his wife had oil delivered on Dec 15th and at that time it was $2.79 a gallon. However our gas prices at that time were about $2.85 a gallon. The current price for gas in our area is up to $3.19 a gallon,so I'm sure the oil prices have increased also. Hated to see the report on the Today Show that said a former executive from Shell Oil saying he fully expects gas prices to top $5 a gallon by 2012. Certainly hope he's wrong. At those prices we won't be able to run the old tractors to mow grass, have to buy fencing and sheep. And as for snow removal, Oh my aching back or wait for spring.

I just had to add this to my post.Being a slow typist till I got my post up, there were already 3 or 4 replies. Old and slow I know.

#7 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 06:19 PM

So i'm paying $4,23 a US gallon:wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging::bash::bash::bash:[God bless America:rocker2::yelclap::bounce::dancingbanana::worshippy2:

The sad part of this, is that our friends to the south of us are buying our oil and paying less for it than we are.....25% of all US oil comes from Canada......Not blaming you guys for this, its our tax system that does this to us........But, we do have that health care......lol

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 06:29 PM

The REALLY sad (read as makes one mad) is that the oil companies will still be setting record profits no matter how high barrel prices go.

#9 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 06:53 PM

As I understand it #2 home heating oil is now classed as a commodity instead of a regulated public utility, The sky's the limit!

#10 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 08:16 PM

For those of you with boilers (not sure if it can be done with forced air), I'd have a hard look at an outdoor wood boiler. They can be plumbed into the existing boiler system so you fuel oil/propane becomes a back-up. I know of a couple of guys who built big furnaces and burn flax bales in them as well...just load another bale in every couple of days...because the bales are basically free to them.

I'm not sure of the details of how to plumb them, but I'm sure your supplier will know how to do it or that there are plans somewhere on the internet.

With heating prices skyrocketing, it might be worth looking into.

#11 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 08:39 PM

The REALLY sad (read as makes one mad) is that the oil companies will still be setting record profits no matter how high barrel prices go.

That is what seemed to have happened the last time THEY said that we had a shortage of oil. THEY didn't have as big of an oil supply but somehow managed to post record profits.

#12 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 08:45 PM

Around here it's .89 a Lt.

#13 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 08:48 PM

Had the propan filled a couple weeks ago at $2.39 and sould be good for the season with the pellet stove.I belive they are around $3.00 a gallon now.

#14 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted December 30, 2010 - 10:51 AM

I paid $2.86/gal this week and then 7 % sales tax on top. I'm cutting mine with about 50 % used oil and trans fluid from the shop. I can sell it for 40 cents a gallon or save 3 bucks. I say it's worth a shot!!

#15 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,867 posts

Posted December 30, 2010 - 11:14 AM

I am using a waste oil boiler in the shop and really glad I have it. Have it run under ground to the house with a water to water heat exchanger to take the heat from the shop supply and transfer it to the house system. Have not had to pay for used oil YET. Have a natural gas boiler in the house for back up. It can send heat in the opposite direction if needed. 40x70 shop and a 1000 sq/ft house = 1500 gals/year. Got warm up here so I am going to shut it down for a day so I can clean the ashes out of it. Waste oil does not generate that much ash but I burn most everything else that is combustible in it as well.