• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,744 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 08:47 PM

Now is the time of year when it can get kind of depressing because the weather is too painfull to work outside. I have found that it is a good time to study hardware catalogs and surplus places on the internet. A number of places are having good clearance sales and it seems to be the time when they are over stocked.

I'm looking at seats and everything else at Surplus Center https://www.surpluscenter.com. I spent over $600 with them this year on hydraulic hoses alone. Those hoses would have been over $1500 locally. It's interesting to carefully look through their hardware and especially generic bearings.
I'm able to occassionally find ones to fit transaxles and mower decks. They recently seem to have gotten alot more tractor seats. There are a bunch of nice ones for $40.

Bailey is very good too http://baileynet.com.../keyed_shafting[/u] especially for bushings and keyed shafts

Colmans surplus has 15hp 4 cylinder air cooled engines for $395. http://store.coleman...used-p-120.html
I'm wondering about putting this in a large frame Bolens. The mufflers are available separately.

Its also time to plan the garden. Its easy to get lost in catalogs for hours. Helps to forget the 20F temps and freezing rain.

I'm enjoying the firewood that is keeping the house warm. Even got the kid going downstairs to load the wood furnace most of the time. I hope this provides information and some inspiration to those of us who find winter an ordeal. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by MH81, January 11, 2014 - 08:07 AM.

• coldone, Alc, IamSherwood and 7 others have said thanks

#2 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 09:01 PM

I don't have the money for cheap lol. Seats are something I need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Tapatalk

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 09:21 PM

55 degrees here, outside in short sleeves washing the Benz

#4 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 10:04 PM

I stay busy most of the year. I try to plan my days according to the weather. I haven't worked since August because of my shoulder surgery. I've been spending a lot of time on the net & here. I have been reading a lot of the old threads on here educating myself since I'm new to the hobby. Lately I have been cleaning up a lot & trying to organize.
  • boyscout862 and OkieGt have said thanks

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 10:11 PM

institutionalization or for better lost of word disambiguation.

I call it house-tionalization or house-sification, in short, winter blues.

Also organizing, cleaning and planing for the spring or just spitting long words to pass the time better :thumbs:

#6 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 10:18 PM

I finished fall semester December 10, I did a small job in October that's the last time I worked, it would be easier if I got disability or S.S. but no biggee, we still have lts of food from the garden. School starts again Monday the 13th

• trowel and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 10:20 PM

Best of luck, study hard and expect nothing but staight A's from you or i take away the toys (tractors),.....

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,744 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 10:21 PM

Somehow I messed up my post. Its highlighted a bunch that shouldn't be. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, January 10, 2014 - 10:22 PM.

• OkieGt said thank you

#9 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 10:24 PM

Best of luck, study hard and expect nothing but staight A's from you or i take away the toys (tractors),.....

Kind of sad, but I haven't had to study much to make straight A's, never did in high school either, never did homework or took a book home. For some reason I may not always know the right answer, but I know all the wrong answers.

#10 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 10:26 PM

Somehow I messed up my post. Its highlighted a bunch that shouldn't be. Good Luck, Rick

if you dont make a space after a link it tries to make he rest of the text a hyper-link as well. My QQQ is messed up. I have to chest poke it to make it work

#11 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 10:27 PM

When you copied and pasted the link, the color blue the link always shows in followed you for a while for some odd reason,...... did you feed it ?

#12 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 10:35 PM

When you copied and pasted the link, the color blue the link always shows in followed you for a while for some odd reason,...... did you feed it ?

you got that post to come in twice, lol

#13 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 10:49 PM

Now i messed up :loosing_it:

#14 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 10:52 PM

Well, let's see. We got 4" of snow last nite so after coffee I got home and blew the snow off the driveway, sidewalk and from the apron of the big shed. Since the city plowed I fired up Suzi and cleared the berm out of my driveway and 5 others then ran downtown to plow the sidewalk in front of our coffee place we go to. Then helped a friend work on his 18 wheeler for a couple of hours. Then opened up the garage for the youngster across the street so he could change oil and rotate tires on his Jeep. I usually find enough to do I don't get the blues or cabin fever.
I'm still in the process of painting and re-decaling my '54 Evinrude. Next time we go to Poky I'll get the lumber needed to install some shelves in a small closet and install a door on it. Also going to pick up a garage door opener for the second garage space. And somewhere in the middle of all that I plan to get in some icefishing when weather permits.
Mike

#15 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 11:03 PM

Well, let's see. We got 4" of snow last nite so after coffee I got home and blew the snow off the driveway, sidewalk and from the apron of the big shed. Since the city plowed I fired up Suzi and cleared the berm out of my driveway and 5 others then ran downtown to plow the sidewalk in front of our coffee place we go to. Then helped a friend work on his 18 wheeler for a couple of hours. Then opened up the garage for the youngster across the street so he could change oil and rotate tires on his Jeep. I usually find enough to do I don't get the blues or cabin fever.
I'm still in the process of painting and re-decaling my '54 Evinrude. Next time we go to Poky I'll get the lumber needed to install some shelves in a small closet and install a door on it. Also going to pick up a garage door opener for the second garage space. And somewhere in the middle of all that I plan to get in some icefishing when weather permits.
Mike

I bet your like me, I've never been "bored', I don't even have an idea what that's like