Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Has anyone compiled a list of places to get diesel engines?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 06:09 AM

Just wondering if anyone has already gathered information on different places to get new or used diesel engines for conversions? Also maybe which diesel engines would make for the best candidates for conversions.

#2 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 08:38 AM

I acquired two 3 cylinder Kubota engine by getting my hands on some old Thermo King refer units.
Nice little motors and with oil pan change they will fit into a Massey. The refer oil pan hold 3 gallons of oil to extend oil change interval and is quite balky.

#3 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 09:06 AM

As ducky said, reefer units are a good source. They range from single cyl Onan to Mercedes to Kubota, and probably a lot more in later units. As he said, an oil pan change is usually the first order of business, second is check for tapered crankshaft on takeoff side.

Next, check small construction equipment. Small pavement rollers such as driveway contractors use have 1 and 2 cyl units.

Generators, but again, check for tapered shaft.

Wilth the amount of commercial mowing equipment in use nowdays, I would think a lot of these units will be showing up in salvage.

Just a coupla ideas, I'm sure there a lot more.

By the way ducky, that was a great find!

#4 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 09:32 AM

Carolstream Motors carries a lot of the China air cooled diesel engines. I have read a number of postings from other sites where people have had good results with the small diesel engines. ( http://www.carrollst...'></span><br />

#5 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 11:43 AM

I acquired two 3 cylinder Kubota engine

Those were water cooled engines, right? While they are great engines I'm thinking that their dimensions might make them too large for GT's with smaller frames. That also means they require a radiator, cooling hoses, and probably an external alternator. But if you can shoehorn one in you'll never be at a loss for power, that's for sure.

For smaller GT's I think that the air-cooled engines will make easier re-power projects. The single cylinder models appear to be dimensionally very close to their gasoline cousins so fitting them should be relatively easy. There are now V-twins showing up also that might really work well in larger GT's.

An interesting variation are the hopper equipped water cooled stationary engines from Lister Petters and the replica China engines. I have seen several of those style engines installed in tractors on other websites. They are actually designed for stationary use and operate at low RPM, but they apparently are the ultimate fuel sippers. I'm guessing that the hopper design uses no circulating water pump and a non-pressurized system, right? These are as simple as a diesel engine can get.

JN

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 12:31 PM

Princess Auto here in Canada carries small China built air cooled diesel engines.

#7 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 03:15 PM

If I remember right, the ONAN engines on the old reefer units were air cooled. Years ago, the company I worked for sold a small sidewalk or curbing roller that was a walk behind. It had an exposed flywheel with a fold out crank handle. Probably not over a 4 or 5 hp that was the greatest little engine ever. Probably would compare with 10 or 12 gas torque wise. Have looked around NET trying to find antique equipment, but have not seen it again.

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 03:24 PM

It would be great to eventually have a list of different diesel engines that are found to work and what gas engines they could replace. Mainly for overall dimensions and also crank size and rotation.

#9 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 03:38 PM

Onan manufactured (probably still does) air cooled diesel engines that are used in military compressors, generators, etc. Those engines show up on E-Bay - some there now if you search 'air cooled diesel engine'. Other manufacturers include Hatz, Deutz, Lombardini (now owned by Kohler I believe), Lister Petter, etc. Briggs & Stratton now has diesel engines though I don't know if they manufacture them or not. It's hard to design and build a diesel engine that is NOT heavy duty because of how they operate. That means that these used engines can have many hours on them and still have plenty of useful life in them if they have been serviced regularly. On the other hand I think you want to be sure you are getting a good engine since I'm guessing parts for some of them may be hard to come by and expensive. As Dryrun mentioned you also have to check out the style of output shaft and crank rotation to be sure the engine you get will work for you. I was reading on a different thread that there may be sources for collars to adapt taper shafts to straight but it will always be easier to start with a straight shaft engine to begin with.

Also, many of these engines have governors for throttles since they are often designed for continuous stationary use. I don't think it would be difficult to convert these to a cable or linkage rod throttle but is another thing to think about. Adapting one of these engines will probably also require a return fuel line to the fuel tank but I can't see that being a deal stopper for anyone willing to undertake a re-power project in the first place.

Of the limited number of re-powers I have seen on other forums a fair number of them do not re-connect the mower decks. It appears that the owners got the power to the transmission and perhaps hydraulics but often do not go the last step to re-design the belt drive off the opposite side of the engine for a mower. This makes a certain amount of sense I guess considering that a different engine configuration probably requires changing things to accommodate the drive side of the engine leaving it more difficult to provide power take off on the other side. Still, I'm sure that there are ways to get it done and others will.

JN

BTW - check this engine out. It's not cheap but it sure oughta satisfy the power requirements of just about any GT out there! 20HP V-TWIN Diesel Engine (Electric Start)

Edited by Boss 448, December 29, 2010 - 03:52 PM.

• dryrun said thank you

#10 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 05:48 PM

Wow, I would really like to have that V2 in my QT16, but would probably launch hydrostat into next county.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 06:41 PM

Surpluscenter.com almost always has new diesels listed. Here's a link to their current lineup. https://www.surplusc...h=diesel engine

Here's a Yanmar they have for sale. 13.4hp at $779 plus freight. I know it would hang with any 16hp gasoline engine, & likely with an 18hp gas too.:

Posted Image
  • jdcrawler said thank you

#12 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 08:42 PM

I got a 2 cylinder Yanmar off of craiglist. Guy had 10 of them. Theyre Thermo Kings. Around 12hp. It takes up the same length as the Kohler 12, is alot taller, somewhat not as wide. Then you add on the radiator. The problem I found out is the front of a air cooled (flywheel side) is the opposite of every other engine. So the driveshaft would have to bolt to the front pulley. to change the belt the motor would have to be shifted. Also the flywheel side for the diesel I could not use the stock clutch. So I would have to get some mechanical set up like a jd 400. However I recently saw a bellhousing off a 332 or 430 or something which I could use my engine so that is a future. I think I will just wait for that common 400 with bad motor to come along or maybe a 1855 but certainly not the one that is on ebay now LOL ...scrap metal

#13 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted December 30, 2010 - 09:29 AM

Olcowhand,

I've drooled over that engine for a while now. That's an amazing engine for that price. It is water cooled but what a neat project engine that would make!

Mikebramel,

Sounds like the engine you are describing is very similar. If it's not prying too much what did you have to give for it? I sure will be interested in following your project when you get it going! As you pointed out the rotation and orientation of the engine output are issues and that makes it perhaps easier to re-power GT's that take their primary drive and PTO power off the same side - like the old Sears Suburban models where everything was driven from one main pulley on the engine. Nutndun has a good idea about perhaps creating a list of engine makes and models listing specs such as air or water cooled, HP, overall dimensions, output shaft rotation and size/style, etc. That could be helpful though I think many (myself included) will look for a good deal on a used engine and then adapt it to their particular tractor as required. Like many people I have more time than money and let's face it, the fun of projects like this are the challenge (I think).

JN

Edited by Boss 448, December 30, 2010 - 09:36 AM.

#14 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted December 30, 2010 - 10:14 AM

As ducky said, reefer units are a good source. They range from single cyl Onan to Mercedes to Kubota, and probably a lot more in later units. As he said, an oil pan change is usually the first order of business, second is check for tapered crankshaft on takeoff side.

Next, check small construction equipment. Small pavement rollers such as driveway contractors use have 1 and 2 cyl units.

Generators, but again, check for tapered shaft.

Wilth the amount of commercial mowing equipment in use nowdays, I would think a lot of these units will be showing up in salvage.

Just a coupla ideas, I'm sure there a lot more.

By the way ducky, that was a great find!

The two I came up with (Thremo King KD II Max) were diesel over electric and the compressor was belt driven so I have a flywheel instead of a tapered crank.

That is a good point to keep in mind when you are looking though.

#15 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted December 30, 2010 - 04:07 PM

Yes, its very familiar because Daniel posted a picture of it.... or a spec very similar. It has the thermo king oil pan but it fits PERFECTLY in between the frame rails on the 14. its not going in this one though. i got a 16 kohler fresh rebuild for 80 off craiglsist. i paid 350 for this yanmar thermo king motor. i think thats on the expensive side.