#31 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 08:55 PM

Got the track guides welded on underneath, the chain is going to run in between the guides hoping to keep it running straight when I turn.

Also started cutting off everything in the way that isn't important on the garden tractor, I got rid of all the steering and front axle mounts. Next I'm going to pull out the 3 spool valve and levers, also thinking about removing the pedal on the left.

Attached Thumbnails

• John Deere 140 001.JPG
  • John Deere 140 002.JPG

#32 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 08:04 PM

Got the track guides welded on underneath, the chain is going to run in between the guides hoping to keep it running straight when I turn.
Also started cutting off everything in the way that isn't important on the garden tractor, I got rid of all the steering and front axle mounts. Next I'm going to pull out the 3 spool valve and levers, also thinking about removing the pedal on the left.

Do you want to part with the 3 spool setup?
  • BTS said thank you

#33 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted January 18, 2014 - 05:15 PM

Do you want to part with the 3 spool setup?

I'm going to keep it, I'm going to move the 3 spool valve to the left side of the seat for easier access. I have two (machining) square tanks, one used to be a fuel tank and the other was a hydraulic tank. Both tanks are rusty and aren't in the best condition inside. So I'm going to cut the tops off and hinge them back on.

I'm going to put the gas tank and hydraulic tank in the right one and I'm going to put the valves in the left one.

I am then going to put the fenders/body back on the gt and then cut off the fenders/wheel wells and then mount these tanks in their place. I think it'll look a little funny with wheel wells and no wheels. But I want the foot rails, so this is the best thing I could think of.

• Chopperhed said thank you

#34 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 11:15 PM

Got some work done the other day, I made new track tensioners, I didn't like the old ones, they where to hard to tighten. Also with this new design, it also works as a stabilizer for the rear sprockets.

Going to get some more work done on Monday and Tuesday, it's going to be cold so it's going to be nice to work in the shop.

Attached Thumbnails

• John Deere 140 022.JPG
  • John Deere 140 023.JPG

• superspeedex said thank you

#35 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 08:35 PM

Well.... Today I built supports for the front sprockets, I had trouble with them laying over sideways, so I built a heavy slide of a sort to help keep them upright, but yet they can also move with the springs when ever needed. I am now putting back on the tracks, I think I'm ready to weld the gt down to the sub frame, but I want to make sure everything is done and ready because it's going to be harder to work on when it's all together.

I set the fenders on to see how it all fits together with the tracks on, it looks like they fit on it with no modifications.

Next I'm going to start changing oil in the engine and then get it mounted. Once the engine is in place I'm going to start on a drive shaft. Hopefully when that is all done, I'm ready to get the engine running and ready to test drive!

Attached Thumbnails

• John Deere 140 010.JPG
  • John Deere 140 003.JPG
  • John Deere 140 004.JPG

• boyscout862 said thank you

#36 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 08:08 PM

Looking good,

Glad to see you are making progress.

I'm stalled waiting on steel, so body work is the current mission.
  • BTS said thank you

#37 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 12:08 AM

Got the drive shaft together, it worked out really good because the cub cadet drive shaft (for the engine) is hollow and the jd 140 drive shaft is solid. The jd shaft was the right size to fit inside of the cub shaft, it was a really tight fit so it is all straight.

I still need to weld it together, but so far it looks like it's going to work!

Attached Thumbnails

• John Deere 140 006.JPG
  • John Deere 140 008.JPG

• superspeedex and JoeMopar have said thanks

#38 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 01:00 AM

Lucky break on the driveshaft. Just get the engine mounted before welding it up so you can adjust all to fit.
  • BTS said thank you

#39 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 09:04 AM

Lucky break on the driveshaft. Just get the engine mounted before welding it up so you can adjust all to fit.

That's what I was thinking, right now the drive shaft is 1/2" to long, so I need to pull it together a little more.

Hopefully today I can get it finished, then I can get the gt welded to the sub frame, can't wait for a test drive!

Thanks

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#40 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 12:09 AM

Got the tracks back on for hopefully the last time, got the engine set in place, I need to hook up the drive shaft and then get the engine running. The engine was last running a couple years ago, so it's  probably going to need the carb cleaned.

Hopefully I can test drive it this week coming up!

Can't wait to see if it all works

I am going to half to do some hood modifications, looks like I'm going to raise it up a inch or two, also going to half to do a little cutting on the side panels, the exhaust manifold in the way for it to fit right.

But I'm not going to worry about any of that until I get it running and driving

Attached Thumbnails

• John Deere 140 023.JPG
  • John Deere 140 024.JPG

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#41 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 08:08 PM

FINALLY!!!! :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

Got the engine mounted and the drive shaft installed, the engine (after sitting well over a year) started right up with no hesitation, I had the gt on blocks so the tracks were in the air, the tracks did turn but they are a little rough.
I did have two problems, first was when the gt was in neutral it still wanted to move forward, but if I moved the hydro lever back a little then they just turned backwards.
Second problem is when I pushed on a brake to stop one track, it just kept turning? before the tracks, I thought the brakes were working?

But so far it's looking like the tracks are going to work, can't wait to get it completely running :D

Edited by BTS, February 01, 2014 - 11:15 PM.

• wvbuzzmaster, boyscout862, Chopperhed and 1 other said thanks

#42 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 11:33 PM

Played around with it a little today, I had it up on blocks so it wouldn't drive off when testing.

It seems to work, it's a little rough but I think it will it will get better when it's run longer.

The right track needs a little work, it is still a little rough and it wasn't turning.

I took the GT off the blocks and it did move forward and backward but the right track did get snagged and didn't want to turn, but it would move.

I'll work on it and get it turning better this week coming up.

I also don't have the track tightened yet, I also need to build guides to hold the top of the track up so it doesn't sag.

Getting closer to getting it finished, can't wait to get it done.

Edited by BTS, February 08, 2014 - 11:56 PM.

• MH81, wvbuzzmaster, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#43 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 11:36 PM

Your video is set to private. Go in to it's settings and set it to public so we can all see it. Thanks
  • BTS said thank you

#44 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 11:52 PM

Your video is set to private. Go in to it's settings and set it to public so we can all see it. Thanks

Oops, Sorry I didn't notice.

Is it working now?
Thanks

Edited by BTS, February 08, 2014 - 11:53 PM.

• MH81 and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#45 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 11:56 PM

looks good you might have to put a roller in there so the chain dont slap so much