35 replies to this topic

#16 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 03:21 PM

Isn't that the truth,Everytime I fix or weld something for someone they can't figure out why they have to pay{so much???}.In the end I say next time take it to a welding shop or garage and see what they charge you.With me it's usually a relative who I do stuff for and its always the same thing well you just had that piece of steel laying around and you didn't have to go and buy any welding rods.It's Like Duh! the stuff didn't magically appear in my shop.Gee's.Larry

Yeah. Last summer I had a man tell me that my labour was only worth $10.00/hour. Okay. Truck, trailer, little lawn tractor, post hole auger, generator, compressor, and all of the nailers, saws, drills, and impact drivers...not to mention all of the hand tools. Decades of experience. Knowledge of local codes. Big job, so I needed a casual labourer (I pay $12.00-$15.00 an hour for that, depending on the labourer). Insurance. Gas. Fasteners. My estimate was based on $50.00/hr labour with a guarantee on no cost overruns for labour. I also had a second estimate of $25.00/hr for an occasional maintenance contract. He didn't just turn down my bid...I have no problem with that, I'm not the only one bidding on these jobs...he called me up and tried to talk me down on the price, then told me he was only willing to pay 1/5 the labour cost.

I do usually get my welding done for material cost plus beer though. And my welders get their carpentry and light landscaping done for the same price.

#17 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 05:12 PM

We can always switch to Sassafras tea! Just dig us up some roots & we're in business! But now they say too much of it can cause liver cancer! Can't win!

#18 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,446 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 05:31 PM

We can always switch to Sassafras tea! Just dig us up some roots & we're in business! But now they say too much of it can cause liver cancer! Can't win!

I know a really good idea.We'll just have to start drinking our coffee without the coffee and lots of milk.LOL Larry

#19 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 05:45 PM

Roasted chicory has always been used as an extender and substitute for coffee, wonder if that can be grown in New Hampshire??
P.

#20 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 05:50 PM

I can always go to drinking tea even though I much prefer coffee.

#21 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 06:02 PM

I know a really good idea.We'll just have to start drinking our coffee without the coffee and lots of milk.LOL Larry

We can call it a CAFE AU DANIEL

#22 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 06:04 PM

I kinda like that idea Larry! "Milk, it does a body good!" :dancingbanana: But it doesn't pry the eyelids open like coffee.

#23 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 06:37 PM

I love milk! When my wife went on her health kick, she switched to fat free milk. She TRIED to get all of us to switch with her LOL! I told her I'd be happy and even grateful to eat more healthy and low fat foods...but leave my milk alone! Kinda off topic, but I've heard that a B complex vitamin in the AM can perk you up. I'm a coffee addict though! If the price gets that high, I may have to wean myself off of it! Does anyone know the "reason" behind the price hikes?

#24 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 07:36 PM

Sorry, has to be coffee. When I was on crutches I tried drinking Coke instead. You can put a can of Coke in your pocket, which you can't do that with a cup of coffee. It just wasn't the same. Mrs. Rev ended up moving the coffee maker beside the couch-bunker where was recovering.

So they can charge what they want, and guys like me will pay it. There really is no substitute for coffee.

#25 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 07:59 PM

Sorry, has to be coffee. When I was on crutches I tried drinking Coke instead. You can put a can of Coke in your pocket, which you can't do that with a cup of coffee. It just wasn't the same. Mrs. Rev ended up moving the coffee maker beside the couch-bunker where was recovering.

So they can charge what they want, and guys like me will pay it. There really is no substitute for coffee.

That is very true. I couldnt survive without my coffee

#26 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1613
  • 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 10:03 PM

no No NO NOOOOOOO ! you cant price coffee out of my reach please.:mecry:

It's the last sin I have left LOL.

I think you may be on to something George, I wonder if there is a way to make Bio-fuel out of coffee beans ?

That would help out allot have my morning cup then dump the rest in the tank, wouldn't that be nice.

And you're right these companies are going to price themselves right out of business with the way their jacking up costs.

Ron

#27 oldgearhead OFFLINE  

oldgearhead

• Member No: 1891
  • 12 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 04:20 PM

There is such a thing as a coffee bean tree. We have several in the back 40. I read where pioneers used the bean off of this tree ground for coffee.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#28 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 10, 2011 - 08:02 PM

Roasted chicory has always been used as an extender and substitute for coffee, wonder if that can be grown in New Hampshire??
P.

Chicory has a sharper taste than Coffee but I think I could get used to it,if I had to.
It is fairly common or Coffee/Chicory blends are served in the Gulf States.
Our Pastor grew up in Beaumont,Tx and developed a taste for chicory.
I keep a pound of Chicory/Coffee Belnd around for those times he stops out to the house to visit.

Old Gearhead, That might be something to investigate. If the stuff was good I might try planting a few myself.

#29 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 10, 2011 - 08:19 PM

P.

I get a blend of coffee and chicory at the grocery store. I mix the blend with the regular coffee as I like the flavor better than regular coffee alone.

#30 trigger OFFLINE  

trigger

• Member No: 2379
  • 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 05:55 AM

Im already down to a cup a day LOL.

Edited by trigger, March 20, 2011 - 05:55 AM.
spelling