6 replies to this topic

#1 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1218
  • 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 03:26 PM

hey everyone I have a Husqvarna Yth2448. I purchased this tractor used from a dealer the problem with the tractor is that the customer brought it in because one of the brackets on the deck broke off while inspecting the tractor the dealer noticed that it was running on only 1 cylinder instead of the two which the Briggs and Stratton ELs model number 4466 77 0463 e1. is supposed to run onthe customer decided not to fix the tractor and buy a new one which is weird because the tractor self only has 250 hours on it upon taking the engine apart on the left side while sitting on the tractor looking down at the engine I noticed neither the intake or exhaust push rods we're in the engine so I ordered some new ones I wentto install both push rods by making sure the engine was roughla quarter inch down from TDC Which is what the manual calls forand set both valve clearancEs to .005 after doing so I turn the engine over by hand and it bends the exhaust push rod which is metal every single time whereas the intake does not bEnd at all. I have double and triple checked to make sure myprocedure was correct and it is can anyone tell me why it keeps doing this thank you

#2 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 03:38 PM

Check the Exhaust Valve guide, you will find it has moved, stopping the valve from opening causing the push rod to bend.

I had one do that, I tried to stop it from moving with Red Lock-tite but it didn't work for me.

Ended up buying a new cylinder head and that solved the push rod problem.

Edited by DH1, January 09, 2014 - 03:48 PM.

• MH81, Alc, Nascar3244888 and 1 other said thanks

#3 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1218
  • 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 03:46 PM

Check the Exhaust Valve guide, you will find it has moved, stopping the valve from opening causing the push rod to bend.

I had on do that, I tried to stop it from moving with Red Lock-tite but it didn't work for me.

Ended up buying a new cylinder head and that solved the push rod problem.

Would a mouse nest cause this problem ( overheating and making the valve guide move )

#4 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 03:49 PM

Would a mouse nest cause this problem ( overheating and making the valve guide move )

The engine that I had the problem on had a mouse nest on that cylinders fins.

Edited by DH1, January 09, 2014 - 03:50 PM.

• Alc, Nascar3244888 and HDWildBill have said thanks

#5 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 04:22 PM

It's very possible that the mouse nest could cause the problem, it would be like insulation on that head and build up excessive heat. My old Tecumseh OH160 dropped a valve seat due to over heating...mice had built a nest under all the tins using what else, yellow insulation!

• trowel said thank you

#6 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 09:09 PM

IF the guide is moving, sometimes, removing it, center punching a few dimples in it and pressing it back in will work.

I've used this method on bearings and guides a few times. It also would probably work on a valve seat too, but you'd have to at least relap the seat, possibly aggressively.

Edited by Chopperhed, January 09, 2014 - 09:40 PM.

• Nascar3244888 said thank you

#7 markus OFFLINE  

markus
  • Member No: 69531
  • 12 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 04:47 PM

Bought a brand new mower in 2010 $ 2,400.00 from Lowes and my wife used it for a couple of years , complaining all the time to me that it didn't cut as good as our older , cheaper mower . Bogged down in heavy grass , seemed to miss frequently , backfired when she turned it off every time and she always had to stop several times during cutting and clean out the clumped grass in the deck . I just basically ignored her . Then one day something came up when she was mowing and I had to take over and when I did I noticed that everything she had reported to me was right on . The thing had no power and had a distinct miss and larch feel to it so I pulled it in the barn and began address issues , new gas , gas filter check , oil check , changed and gaped the plugs , checked air filter and intake for blockage , replaced the electrical components , loaded it up on my trailer and took it down to my local fix it all guy and low and behold , after pulling the heads . Only one push rod installed at the factory . Wow , what quality control on a 24 HP B&S engine . Loaded it back up and brought it home , pushed the thing to the back of the garage for a future project and went out and bought her a zero turn cubby and she comes in from mowing with a smile on her face every time now .   

• MH81 said thank you