• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 04:48 AM

I made mention of a new trailer a week or so ago and told you guys that I would post pictures.......well rather than get LYNCHED for not posting them........here they are........lol

Details:

The guy that I bought the trailer from used it for his "snack vending route".. He worked for Lance and delivered snacks to the local grocery stores and convenience stores. He bought it new a little over a year ago and it has been sitting under his shed for the last couple of months since he quit doing the routes.  It is a 7X16 V-nose with a full 7' ceiling height (major selling point for me since I am 6')  I am in the process of trying to come up with the best way to put "bunk beds" in it so that the kids and I can sleep in it at the plow day events and anywhere else we decide to take it. The motel savings alone will pay for it in a year or two. I have several different ideas but havent committed to any of them as of yet. I want to be able to have the beds out of the way while I am hauling with it but be easy to set them up once I unload the tractors.

Once I settle on a design, I will post pictures of the progress!

IMG 20140108 155914 432
IMG 20140108 155926 519
IMG 20140108 155945 929
IMG 20140108 160000 706

Edited by Robert Webb, January 09, 2014 - 04:50 AM.

• olcowhand, MH81, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 05:03 AM

That is a very nice looking trailer. I wish I had one like that!

Maybe make the beds hinged at a wall so they can be folded flat against the wall while traveling.

• Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and JRJ have said thanks

#3 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,448 Thanks
  • 3,996 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 05:21 AM

Looks grat, congrats - needs a painting...

• hamman and JRJ have said thanks

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 06:29 AM

Great idea !  You might be able to find some good RV jalousie  windows from older camper , we like them better in our first camper because you could open the whole window , the new camper are more like awning and even then they don't open as much .Heck you might be able to find a old camper for free and use the 12volt light fixtures too

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 06:41 AM

I know a few folks who use similar trailers for hauling and sleeping, and their #1 complaint turned innovation is to add a couple RV windows.  Those trailers are DARK inside, and it's nice to have some daylight when you're not plugged in.  An awning would be great too....get you out of the sun on show days.

• Alc and hamman have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 06:49 AM

Good looking trailer. I'm sure you'll figure out something. Some storage in the front would be good for blankets & such.

• hamman said thank you

#7 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 07:33 AM

It just so happens that I know where an RV trailer is that has an awning on it that I can probably get CHEAP....lol  and I had already thought about the windows......but that will probably be a future project as Plow season is FAST approaching and I dont have a lot of "free time" right now.....lol

• hamman and KennyP have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,546 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 08:22 AM

Nice trailer. You might look at some heavy duty shelfing system for putting in the trailer. Set it up so that tractors can go underneath and you can go on top. Attachments could go on top too. What are you using to pull the trailer? It may be easier to adapt the vehicle to sleep in. My conversion van is comfortable for sleeping. Good Luck, Rick
  • hamman and HDWildBill have said thanks

#9 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 08:49 AM

Nice looking trailer. Great idea. Not sure where you are located but look for a RV salvage yard near you. Items are cheaper and just as good as new. Good luck. Looking forward to pictures of the progress. Roger.

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 09:01 AM

Nice Trailer!! I have often wondered why all the Lawn Care Business's I see buzzing around the city use open trailers to haul their equipment. When they could use a nice closed trailer like that and keep their equipment secure and out of the weather?

I see untold thousands of dollars in equipment out in the weather where any Jocko could walk up and help themselves to whatever they could carry off?

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#11 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 11:12 AM

Robert, that is a nice trailer, A blank canvas to work with.  As you use it, you will come up with more and more ideas on how to make it suit you and the family better.  I thought of a couple of ideas if you wanted to make it into a real redneck trailer but I won't go there. :rolling:

#12 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 11:17 AM

Nice Trailer!! I have often wondered why all the Lawn Care Business's I see buzzing around the city use open trailers to haul their equipment. When they could use a nice closed trailer like that and keep their equipment secure and out of the weather?

I see untold thousands of dollars in equipment out in the weather where any Jocko could walk up and help themselves to whatever they could carry off?

JD your right about keeping the equipment out of the weather.  Not only do the lawn guys do it but I know several other contractors who leave there equipment out and then they can't understand why it won't run. 

Unfortunately around here it would not stop thieves, they will just take the whole trailer and quite often do. They steal a truck then go and steal the trailer rip it open and steal what ever they can sell or scrap.  Usually leaving the truck and trailer smashed and/or destroyed.

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 11:46 AM

JD your right about keeping the equipment out of the weather.  Not only do the lawn guys do it but I know several other contractors who leave there equipment out and then they can't understand why it won't run. 

Unfortunately around here it would not stop thieves, they will just take the whole trailer and quite often do. They steal a truck then go and steal the trailer rip it open and steal what ever they can sell or scrap.  Usually leaving the truck and trailer smashed and/or destroyed.

No Bill you can't stop all of it. My opinion has always been that locks only keep honest people honest.

But you gotta try, Even if only to keep the Insurance Company happy.

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 09, 2014 - 11:48 AM.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#14 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 11:54 AM

No Bill you can't stop all of it. My opinion has always been that locks only keep honest people honest.

But you gotta try, Even if only to keep the Insurance Company happy.

I agree, if someone wants to steal something bad enough they will find a way. :wallbanging: 

#15 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 12:31 PM

Nice trailer! Looks like it should make the perfect plow day hauler! We have a similar trailer at work and windows would be a great addition as well as an awning. I'd take a look at some factory built campers for hidden bed ideas,I remember sleeping in a camper as a kid that had overhead "cabinets" that actually folded out into a bed. Hiding in said closed up cabinet bed was really great for scaring the crap out of fellow campers as well! :smilewink: :rolling:

• Team_Green said thank you