50 replies to this topic

#46 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,508 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 07:27 PM

I think this might be easiest if done like the addicted to gt thread. While all can contribute, the final was locked for mods to put it together. I think this could be the start of a good thing. But at the same time, I think that getting proper tags with the threads will help steer people the right direction just as quick.

• OkieGt said thank you

#47 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 08:15 PM

I think this might be easiest if done like the addicted to gt thread. While all can contribute, the final was locked for mods to put it together. I think this could be the start of a good thing. But at the same time, I think that getting proper tags with the threads will help steer people the right direction just as quick.

I started as alphabetic list in MS word, even if you don't have the program you can post suggestions to members that can add it. If anyone else has any ideas how to put this together and be able to add to it PLEASE chime in. ALL suggestions are helpful.

#48 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 08:30 PM

I started as alphabetic list in MS word, even if you don't have the program you can post suggestions to members that can add it. If anyone else has any ideas how to put this together and be able to add to it PLEASE chime in. ALL suggestions are helpful.

Start with each manufacturer's tractor starting alphabetically, then list each attachments connected to that tractor via a link as listed by the manufacture by name and part number alphabetically. Could even add cross reference between the models or manufacturers on the bottom or next to each attachment.

Ex : Allis Chalmers B12 to Simplicity's Landlord 101, mid-mount grader blade.

I like this. Would be hard to sort but a start.

#49 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 09:41 PM

Guys,

We do have something in the works that I think would solve and add a lot. I am going to add a glossary / terms section to it and we will get some of the members, more than likely site supporters to check it out and once we have tested a few things we will make it public to all members and even guests to view. I am going to work on adding the glossary section tonight yet and post about it in the site supporter forum for them to check out first.

• Bolens 1000, KennyP, trowel and 2 others have said thanks

#50 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 03:30 PM

I think your right. Even when people are given information, many do not retain it. Memory is retained in part by motivation and need, so if people aren't passionate or don't really care, they don't retain information because they don't perceive as important. What people do retain for the most part is where to go to ask the question. Most people as they age move from using fluid intelligence to using crystallized intelligence, meaning once they believe they have learned everything they need to know they quit learning, and rely on what they already know. The best way we can continue to be relevant as we age is to continue to learn. From studies done, continued learning is directly correlated to our mid section girth (and health), for some reason the better we feel about where we are and what we know the bigger around we grow, (unhealthy habits). When we feel challenged and have need to compete those feelings help burn calories and maintain a smaller mid section (better health). Case in point many of us have made great strides in learn new computer technology, because of a need, but things such as broadening our knowledge in other areas we have slacked off because we deem those areas not necessary to our well being, when in fact we just tend to use that justification to be a little lazy

My problem now is that my head is completely full.  Every time I learn something new it pushes some old piece of information out.  Unfortunately, I still need some of that lost information.  :rolling:

• olcowhand, WH55 and OkieGt have said thanks

#51 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 08:45 PM

My problem now is that my head is completely full.  Every time I learn something new it pushes some old piece of information out.  Unfortunately, I still need some of that lost information.  :rolling:

Ahh, it's not your head that's telling you it's full, it's the part that is satisfied as to what you know. that part is robbing many of us old guys of the desire and motivation that keeps us competitive with the young guys. Look at Peyton Manning and many other older athletes from racing to golf, they are in great shape physically and mentally, not just because of sports, but of competing with younger players. As long as we old duffs compete against other oldsters we will start to fall off mentally and physically, all the while blaming it on everything but ourselves. You will be only what you want to be and nothing more or you will learn and grow as long as you live, I aint going down easy, having young guys laughing behind my back for my lack of strength, physical or mental, cause when you reach that mark around 55-60 they do start laughing at you and not considering you a threat to them or a viable leader of the herd.

Edited by OkieGt, January 12, 2014 - 08:46 PM.