50 replies to this topic

#31 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 09:42 AM

I don't have too much to offer, this is more of a question really but... Is the difference between a snow plow blade and a dozer blade whether or not it has a trip mechanism? (For the sake of keeping this simple for everyone that just means some sort of hinge and spring setup to allow the blade to fold forward when you strike an obstacle) I believe what I have for my Sears is a dozer blade but would like to clarify just for my own education.

#32 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • Member No: 14091
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 09:10 AM

In my Jacobsen attachment book from 64 the Snow plow is referred to as a Snow/dirt dozer blade. It all depends on the manufacturer on what something is called.

plow.jpg

• OkieGt said thank you

#33 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 09:13 AM

In my Jacobsen attachment book from 64 the Snow plow is referred to as a Snow/dirt dozer blade. It all depends on the manufacturer on what something is called.

attachicon.gifplow.jpg

I am running into the same problem with Simplicity and David Bradley, dozer blade seems to keep popping up.

#34 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 09:43 AM

attachicon.gifplow.jpg

Dozer blades are snow blades, but not all snow blades are dozer blades and if you use a snow blade that isn't a dozer blade for pushing dirt you will tear it up. I think your question shows exactly why we need a dictionary, these things are known to many of us that have been around for sometime, let alone newbies

#35 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 09:51 AM

I doubt many would use a "GT dictionary" if one were put together.  It's general nature for one to just ask, rather than search for an answer.  Most any question could be answered with a simple search through GTtalk, but then if everyone did just search & find , then no information base would build.

• KennyP, Delmar, Nato77 and 1 other said thanks

#36 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 10:40 AM

I doubt many would use a "GT dictionary" if one were put together.  It's general nature for one to just ask, rather than search for an answer.  Most any question could be answered with a simple search through GTtalk, but then if everyone did just search & find , then no information base would build.

I agree !

#37 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 10:54 AM

Dozer blades are snow blades, but not all snow blades are dozer blades and if you use a snow blade that isn't a dozer blade for pushing dirt you will tear it up. I think your question shows exactly why we need a dictionary, these things are known to many of us that have been around for sometime, let alone newbies

I don't think it does, I would rather talk to somebody who knows than look it up in a dictionary, this way you get a chance to meet and talk to more good folks and learn more than you would just looking up a definition,  It almost acts as a scape goat for people who don't want to answer simple questions to help someone learning from what ive seen on other forums. Just my 2 cents worth.

• Bolens 1000, KennyP and Nato77 have said thanks

#38 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 10:55 AM

...Got a sense of frustration from Okie on the herding of cats and such :deadhorse:  :(  and saw a few solid suggestions from Troy, Kenny and others and all that seemed missing was the start or restarted  'Term thread' with a pinch of just do it. I've seen many threads here that started with a simple heading/suggestion that grew quite well.

There may not be one specific place where all parts or terms are universally defined and accepted but this site IMO, as a whole, serves as a superior international database for any and all who visit and or stay to learn and share . I've gotten good and bad deals from sellers who didn't quite know what they had and I've done goog searches for things that lead magically right back to GTtalk. That said, maybe the term dictionary itself could be diluted to reference or something...  good luck and happytractorin ! :wave:

• KennyP, johndeereelfman, Delmar and 2 others have said thanks

#39 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 11:06 AM

I think your right. Even when people are given information, many do not retain it. Memory is retained in part by motivation and need, so if people aren't passionate or don't really care, they don't retain information because they don't perceive as important. What people do retain for the most part is where to go to ask the question. Most people as they age move from using fluid intelligence to using crystallized intelligence, meaning once they believe they have learned everything they need to know they quit learning, and rely on what they already know. The best way we can continue to be relevant as we age is to continue to learn. From studies done, continued learning is directly correlated to our mid section girth (and health), for some reason the better we feel about where we are and what we know the bigger around we grow, (unhealthy habits). When we feel challenged and have need to compete those feelings help burn calories and maintain a smaller mid section (better health). Case in point many of us have made great strides in learn new computer technology, because of a need, but things such as broadening our knowledge in other areas we have slacked off because we deem those areas not necessary to our well being, when in fact we just tend to use that justification to be a little lazy

Edited by OkieGt, January 11, 2014 - 11:14 AM.

#40 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 11:11 AM

...Got a sense of frustration from Okie on the herding of cats and such :deadhorse:  :(  and saw a few solid suggestions from Troy, Kenny and others and all that seemed missing was the start or restarted  'Term thread' with a pinch of just do it. I've seen many threads here that started with a simple heading/suggestion that grew quite well.

There may not be one specific place where all parts or terms are universally defined and accepted but this site IMO, as a whole, serves as a superior international database for any and all who visit and or stay to learn and share . I've gotten good and bad deals from sellers who didn't quite know what they had and I've done goog searches for things that lead magically right back to GTtalk. That said, maybe the term dictionary itself could be diluted to reference or something...  good luck and happytractorin ! :wave:

Your idea to use the term reference was great, apparently many people have an aversion to dictionary's. It seems the old adage, "you can lead a horse to water,,," seems to apply to many in the world and that representative population lives here in great numbers as well

#41 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 04:00 PM

I was strangely drawn back to this and was  reminded thusly;  one can catch more flies with honey than vinegar and Please don't poke the bear...these came to mind as possibilities when it may be construed as  prudent to avoid an atmosphere of 'vendetta in verbosity' when relating to Gt's and their care providers, which may be found in a plethora of shapes, sizes, conditions,etc., One appproach could be to address them as you find them and when not broken resist urges to fix same. For in a forum such as this, what worthy fruit can be reaped through debate of the intellectual and academic properties of the afore mentioned subject matter whilst avoiding asteism.

example: Newpaws learned more in 15min @ plowday on a farm in Gardner than a month spent studying manuals.

All this submitted humbly for consideration...and blah,blah blah. lighten up .? :wave: 
whew..I'm gonna need a nap now. :rolling:

• KennyP, Delmar, Nato77 and 1 other said thanks

#42 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 06:11 PM

Guys, it's real simple. You spell out the term or identification that you want to use, along with the aka "slang" names for the item, and then post a picture of the item so that people can see what you are referring to.

EXACTLY

#43 WH55 OFFLINE  

WH55
  • Member No: 34102
  • 48 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 06:35 PM

Oh, what the heck, guess I'll stick my oar in the water on this. I read through the entire thread and it sounds as if a bunch are getting wound up about someone's attemp to make it easy on a newcomer to the hobby such as myself. I'm afraid I lost track of the OP on this. When I first started coming on here looking around for things I kept getting confused about the term GT when it's used as an abbreviation for Garden Tractor because at the time I was looking for information about a friend's Ariens GT model tractor. It's little things like that we need to be sure we identify.

Take the word truck which has been discussed somewhat. You really shouldn't use that noun by itself without a label, because there's an issue of context. There's a world of difference between the 4 wheeled truck that some hit and miss engines sit on the 4 wheeled trucks I helped rebuild when my main hobby was restoring and operating historic railroad equipment.

I think the term everyone is looking for is "glossary" which is a good place to start something like this where the basic difference between the hitches can be described and other terms that reach across the whole spectrum of the hobby. You can argue about meanings all day long and never get anywhere, but a few words and photo or too can help differentiate between a snow plow and a tilling plow.

I'd be willing to help with some of this, if anyone wants to take it on. :wave: :thumbs:

• OkieGt said thank you

#44 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 06:47 PM

Anyone else feel like their head is going to explode after reading this thread?! :smilewink: :firejumper:

The way I see it is you have to take into consideration what brand you are dealing with as most manufactures had their own terminology for the implements and mechanical aspects used such as the unique drive systems used in many brands.

I do agree it does get aggravating seeing stuff written in shorthand such as People Calling the Bolens Ride-a-Matics    "Ram's"

I think that Slang  & shorthand stuff has got to go.

• KennyP, Brando and OkieGt have said thanks

#45 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 06:55 PM

Oh, what the heck, guess I'll stick my oar in the water on this. I read through the entire thread and it sounds as if a bunch are getting wound up about someone's attemp to make it easy on a newcomer to the hobby such as myself. I'm afraid I lost track of the OP on this. When I first started coming on here looking around for things I kept getting confused about the term GT when it's used as an abbreviation for Garden Tractor because at the time I was looking for information about a friend's Ariens GT model tractor. It's little things like that we need to be sure we identify.

Take the word truck which has been discussed somewhat. You really shouldn't use that noun by itself without a label, because there's an issue of context. There's a world of difference between the 4 wheeled truck that some hit and miss engines sit on the 4 wheeled trucks I helped rebuild when my main hobby was restoring and operating historic railroad equipment.

I think the term everyone is looking for is "glossary" which is a good place to start something like this where the basic difference between the hitches can be described and other terms that reach across the whole spectrum of the hobby. You can argue about meanings all day long and never get anywhere, but a few words and photo or too can help differentiate between a snow plow and a tilling plow.

I'd be willing to help with some of this, if anyone wants to take it on. :wave: :thumbs:

I'll start a .pdf file we all can edit. It seems the newcomers feel this would be helpful and some old time members are resistant, That's funny, I thought this was a place for people to come for help? I understand change is tough and people tend to pick apart any idea just for general purpose. Some are unable to see the benefits of an idea for a variety of reasons, but to shoot down an idea by using weak arguments doesn't make a good impression. I think the forum group really needs to get behind this because people are not posting/joining because they don't want to look stupid. Many people I meet in the field seems to have an aversion to joining online forums for just that reason. This is a friendly group, lets give the new guys the ability to come on here and learn a lot of nomenclature and terminology and give them the opportunity to post without looking stupid and have their questions answered correctly. Thanks to everyone that posted, through challenges and adversity, the strong survive.

Edited by OkieGt, January 11, 2014 - 06:56 PM.

• WH55 said thank you