50 replies to this topic

#16 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 08:04 AM

Along with the pics, put in the model # of the unit. There are 2 different yet similar LGT165's, and several Sears GT18's. Knowing which machine helps a lot. Jacobsen Chief is another with several different tractors. Going by what the manufacturer calls it is the best way.

Yes, the dictionary could cover tractors and equipment, several brands make a 1450 or  1650. Much of what we discuss is in type and sometimes we assume that we have communicated to others when in fact others are mistaken partly due to terminology. I really think it would especially help new people to the group or hobby get up to speed and have a better level of understanding when asking questions

#17 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 08:16 AM

Lance brings up a good point with things being labeled differently depending on what region your from or in. Example...I eat dinner at noon and supper at 5:00 and some people eat lunch at noon and dinner at 5:00. Or a lot of you guys on here store your gts in barns. To me barns are for animals and sheds are what you store things in.

It would be nice to have everything labeled correctly, but who would decide the "correct" name? The only "correct" way to label something I could see is what the parts list/manual says from the manufacture.

I think were talking about two different things, I'm talking about rear hitches, plows, parts and tractors and your talking about the name of eating times. In England a wrench is known is a spanner, are we going to say that's wrong, heck no, that would be ludicrous. I'm just saying it would be helpful for new people and old to understand what a rear hitch, a rear blade, a scraper blade, a box blade is, etc. There are many in this hobby that are misinformed about what certain parts and equipment is and who made what tractors and what models were made by what brands. I really think we can do better for newcomers to keep them from getting frustrated during the learning process, many think we have our own code, because we know what were talking about and they do not, if they were able to read up on some nomenclature terms they could better ask questions and be unsterstood better in posts.

#18 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 08:20 AM

Did I say it was wrong? I dont recall that

nope sorry  to imply that, I agree people should ask questions about this, but to reject it thinking that it would only be a tool to correct someone is not what this is about, its about helping new people and old people use similar terminology to effect better communication.

#19 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 09:19 AM

Did I say it was wrong? I dont recall that

Nah, i understood, we did too, you drive home a very good point.

I also have trouble with the changes/shortcuts with proper terminology and mispronunciation which goes beyond the mechanical world into the english lang. itself, the very language we were taught from youth how to speak, read and write (by hand not type) we now live in the computer age, the short cut age were everything is now in acronym, hyphens and symbols, it is become way to hard for the youth to be bothered with tracking down the proper terminology for communication purposes (fingers must be too sore from playing video games), the only way to be able to communicate with is to learn another new set of languages regardless way too fast compared with the past. Examples may be the over use of the word ''like'' which leave to open a place because you can no longer be direct and to the point in case you hurt somebodies precious feelings hence me arriving back at Lance's post.

Aside from that as stated above there are more then one way to call something depending on were it comes from, we Americans have a habit of calling a digging spade a shovel, well, we call everything a shovel save the trowel, originally there were categories, spade, shovel and scoop but over time improper attachments in the past became acceptant and found it's way into the dictionary due to popular demand of the applicable use of the word. Plough/plow is another very good example. very odd for many of the younger generations seeing as they were taught, not always in school, but the general populace and overused by narrow minded extremists forcing the word and what it use to apply to into something else.

Roto Spader, Rotary Spader, Rotery Tiller, Rototiller, ////Rotary mower, Rotomower, Lawn mower,..etc...

Wow, i really took off !!

Edited by trowel, January 09, 2014 - 10:14 AM.

• OkieGt said thank you

#20 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 09:28 AM

It took me a long time to figure out what you guys were talking about        FEL

I think another was sickle mower...

• trowel said thank you

#21 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 09:42 AM

Nah, i understood, we did too, you drive home a very good point.

I also have trouble with the changes/shortcuts with proper terminology and mispronunciation which goes beyond the mechanical world into the english lang. itself, the very language we were taught from youth how to speak, read and write (by hand not type) we now live in the computer age, the short cut age were everything is now in acronym, hyphens and symbols, it is become way to hard for the youth to be bothered with tracking down the proper terminology for communication purposes (fingers must be too sore from playing video games), the only way to be able to communicate with is to learn another new set of languages regardless way too fast compared with the past. Examples may be the over use of the word ''like'' which leave to open a place because you can no longer be direct and to the point in case you hurt somebodies precious feelings hence me arriving back at Lance's post.

Aside from that as stated above there are more then one way to call something depending on were it comes from, we Americans have a habit of calling a digging spade a shovel, well, we call everything a shovel save the trowel, originally there were categories, spade, shovel and scoop but over time improper attachments in the past became acceptant and found it's way into the dictionary due to popular demand of the applicable use of the word. Plough/plow is another very good example another is the use of the word gay which use to mean happy and merry, another is fag which means cigarette in the UK. very odd for many of the younger generations seeing as they were taught, not always in school, but the general populace and overused by narrow minded extremists forcing the word and what it use to apply to into something else.

Roto Spader, Rotary Spader, Rotery Tiller, Rototiller, ////Rotary mower, Rotomower, Lawn mower,..etc...

All good points, but I believe many are over thinking my idea. I only intend to define a nut from a bolt, a sleeve hitch from a 3 point, a scraper blade from a box blade, and so forth. The whole thread has turned into a discussion of splitting hairs and social ills, forget I ever mentioned it, I was only trying to help. Call what ever you want what you want call it, it doesn't matter to me, it was only for those that are new to the hobby to be able to learn the names of things and not get confused. If people want that to continue that way without change it will continue that way, but I see that attitude as somewhat lazy. BTW, I don't think the mods are going to like your comparsion of UK cigarettes, just saying. I still dont understand how this thread got soooooo off topic going from a dictionary to define of parts and equipment to everything from diner to texting, seems like lack of focus is a problem of our generation.

#22 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 10:02 AM

Eh, seems you have opened a can of worms, i agree with you regarding a place for proper references, i can and is willing to help if needed, it would help not just me but many other. Agree with lack of focus also, it seems my mind had gotten away from me, frustrating the new changes are at the going pace.

As for the usages of certain words if i am to be reprimanded for it then i shall go back and edit it out or deleat the posting altogether.

I am from both sides of the pond and from across the country so very open minded and flexible which can make it difficult for others sometimes, if that bothered you or others then as i stated above will have to change a little more. Not thinking of just one but everyone on this fourm and others to come. Tractors collect some of the greatest people.

Just to stay on track and start it, Sears Roto tiller from the 60's and 70's, Roto Spader, Walk behind and 3-point hitch.

#23 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 07:04 PM

I always called the side mount "sickle bar" mower (or even rear mounted on a big tractor) a mowing machine.

I think the idea is great and a cross reference to slang names and photos would be wonderful.

Now if it is an internal combustion power plant, it is an ENGINE.......MOTORS run on electricity!

• OkieGt said thank you

#24 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 07:10 PM

I always called the side mount "sickle bar" mower (or even rear mounted on a big tractor) a mowing machine.

I think the idea is great and a cross reference to slang names and photos would be wonderful.

Now if it is an internal combustion power plant, it is an ENGINE.......MOTORS run on electricity!

Now see you got what I meant, not to correct or change anyone, just to help

#25 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 07:25 PM

Not trying to start anything, i won't run away again,

KC9KAS reminded me of something, Engines, motors are electric but what about boat motors, rarely seen then as boat engines, always boat motors ?

This being a GT fourm it would not apply ? just wondering.

• OkieGt said thank you

#26 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 07:53 PM

Not trying to start anything, i won't run away again,

KC9KAS reminded me of something, Engines, motors are electric but what about boat motors, rarely seen then as boat engines, always boat motors ?

This being a GT fourm it would not apply ? just wondering.

Again, both are engines and motors, I dont think we need to define what variety of apple it is, just that is a apple and not an orange  

• trowel said thank you

#27 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,740 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 08:23 PM

You will need a engine category for lemons.

• trowel and OkieGt have said thanks

#28 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 08:24 PM

You will need a engine category for lemons.

I don't know that one

#29 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,624 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 08:53 PM

Is a "truck" a pickup, a semi, or is it the cart under a hit-n-miss engine????    :(   

• shorty said thank you

#30 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 08:57 PM

Is a "truck" a pickup, a semi, or is it the cart under a hit-n-miss engine????    :(   

Screw it I give up. how about a mod delete the entire thread. It's like herding cat. someone suggests to do something that might help others coming into the hobby and everyone turns into a ten year old