50 replies to this topic

#1 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 11:10 PM

I wonder if it may be time to start working on a Garden Tractor Dictionary to properly define, label, and identify parts and equipment. There are many members here and across the boards (myself as well) including many eBay sellers who mistakenly use improper definitions or words for equipment. Recently I have seen a problem with the nomenclature used to identify rear hitches and lifts, but it also applies to many other parts and equipment. Many people label CASE tractors as hydros or hydrostatic when in fact they are "hydraulic drives". I see front snow plows mistaken or mislabeled as Dozer blades.But by far the most egregious of these mislabeling is calling the one point hitch a three point hitch. This mislabeling makes it very difficult for new and old users/buyers/collectors to know what they are buying. If you never saw an apple and someone said it was an orange you would think all apples were oranges. The one point sleeve hitches on a Cub, Bolens, Sears, Ford, Allis, etc are often labeled and sold as three point hitches, when in fact they are not. If one bar or one rod lifts the hitch it is a one point hitch or sleeve hitch, if it has a rock shaft with two lift links and a center link, it is a 3 point hitch, and the Sears 3 point is a variation of the category 0 three point and its implements are particular to its tractors alone. Anyone considering a rear hitch (or any other parts or equipment purchase) better be well versed on the equipment and it's nomenclature, or they are going to get burned and feeling are going to get hurt. Again, I fear we are not teaching or educating new users (or ourselves) if we mislabel or improperly define equipment out of habit or mistake. So I wonder if we could have a page that we could alphabetically add definitions? 

• IamSherwood, trowel, KC9KAS and 3 others have said thanks

#2 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 11:21 PM

the dozer blade i can see because you have dirt plows and snow plows or ploughs depending how you spell it. and it can help with what they are talking about when there aren't pictures to assist 

• oldedeeres, JRJ and OkieGt have said thanks

#3 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 11:24 PM

Good idea, thanks for initiating it.
  • JRJ and OkieGt have said thanks

#4 amitypete OFFLINE  

amitypete
  • Member No: 49690
  • 8 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 11:51 PM

Good ideal, go for it...I for one would love it.

• JRJ said thank you

#5 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 12:35 AM

Who decides what the 'correct' name for a particular part should be, names can change from one country to another, or even regionally. If I use a front mounted snow plow to do landscape work in the summer is it still a 'snow plow'? Will the forum name be changed to GT Type. 'JK', but I expect many of us shortcut the names of many things because its often easier, or perhaps our folks used a certain term for something, I grew up in a farming community where 'ploughs' go on the back of a tractor and a 'dozer blade' goes on the front, to me a 'snow plow' is the big truck the local RM cleans the road with.
Im not saying it cant or should not be done, but Im not sure it would be very helpful, and if somebody is gonna be correcting me everytime I use an incorrect term I would simply not bother posting, Im old and set in my ways I suppose but thats me.
  • Delmar, trowel, tinbender7 and 4 others have said thanks

#6 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 12:42 AM

Who decides what the 'correct' name for a particular part should be, names can change from one country to another, or even regionally. If I use a front mounted snow plow to do landscape work in the summer is it still a 'snow plow'? Will the forum name be changed to GT Type. 'JK', but I expect many of us shortcut the names of many things because its often easier, or perhaps our folks used a certain term for something, I grew up in a farming community where 'ploughs' go on the back of a tractor and a 'dozer blade' goes on the front, to me a 'snow plow' is the big truck the local RM cleans the road with.
Im not saying it cant or should not be done, but Im not sure it would be very helpful, and if somebody is gonna be correcting me everytime I use an incorrect term I would simply not bother posting, Im old and set in my ways I suppose but thats me.

It doesn't matter what you use it for, a Dozer blade is different than a snowplow, or it can be. I don't think it matters what country your in a riding mower is still one you sit on, No one is talking about correcting people, 'm  talking about getting things right, for us and the users, is that so wrong you would be against it? wow

Edited by OkieGt, January 09, 2014 - 12:43 AM.

• JRJ and WH55 have said thanks

#7 cityboy2977 OFFLINE  

cityboy2977

ordinary average guy

• Member No: 6650
  • 117 Thanks
  • 179 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 01:03 AM

so whats the difference between a moldboard plow and a plough ? or a landscape rake and a york rake ?

• OkieGt said thank you

#8 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 02:19 AM

Did I say it was wrong? I dont recall that
  • Delmar, JRJ and OkieGt have said thanks

#9 Nato77 ONLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,638 Thanks
  • 1,331 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 02:20 AM

Lance brings up a good point with things being labeled differently depending on what region your from or in. Example...I eat dinner at noon and supper at 5:00 and some people eat lunch at noon and dinner at 5:00. Or a lot of you guys on here store your gts in barns. To me barns are for animals and sheds are what you store things in.

It would be nice to have everything labeled correctly, but who would decide the "correct" name? The only "correct" way to label something I could see is what the parts list/manual says from the manufacture.

Edited by Nato77, January 09, 2014 - 02:30 AM.

• limebuzz, KennyP, shorty and 4 others have said thanks

#10 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 05:16 AM

It would be nice to have everything labeled correctly, but who would decide the "correct" name? The only "correct" way to label something I could see is what the parts list/manual says from the manufacture.

I think this is what OkieGt is talking about....what an item is called in the manual. BUT, do all manufactures call it a whatchamacallit or do some call it a thingamajig?

• tinbender7, Newpaws493 and JRJ have said thanks

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 06:58 AM

I agree with this. Even though the Cub 'sleeve hitch' is a 'one point', Cub still calls it a 3-point. I will look in a manual if I am helping some one with things I am not familiar with.

• Nato77, Newpaws493 and JRJ have said thanks

#12 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 06:59 AM

Guys, it's real simple. You spell out the term or identification that you want to use, along with the aka "slang" names for the item, and then post a picture of the item so that people can see what you are referring to.

• Newpaws493, superaben, JRJ and 1 other said thanks

#13 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 07:35 AM

What we need is a cross reference that gives the slang as well as the official name.  I forget when I am selling parts that "carb" and "mag" are both not established names beyond those who are deeply in engines. 

Ben W.

• Newpaws493 said thank you

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 07:35 AM

Guys, it's real simple. You spell out the term or identification that you want to use, along with the aka "slang" names for the item, and then post a picture of the item so that people can see what you are referring to.

Along with the pics, put in the model # of the unit. There are 2 different yet similar LGT165's, and several Sears GT18's. Knowing which machine helps a lot. Jacobsen Chief is another with several different tractors. Going by what the manufacturer calls it is the best way.

• tinbender7, Newpaws493 and OkieGt have said thanks

#15 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 08:00 AM

so whats the difference between a moldboard plow and a plough ? or a landscape rake and a york rake ?

The fact that those terms are at issue proves my point, they both could be the same and listed as the same in the dictionary. I'. not talking about splitting hairs or correcting people, this is something that  could help many people know what there talking about when discussing in threads or buying parts or euipment